Berkley Big Game Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bufryda1, Oct 28, 2005.

1. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Does anyone fish with the Berkley Big Game rods. I know that you can by them at Wal-Mart for pretty cheap and I was thinking about getting one. They look fairly stout, the 7' casting model is the one I might pick up but I wondering if anyone has caught any nice cats with these rods. They are a Med.Heavy rod, rated for 15-30lb line and like 1-3oz lure weight I believe. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. DrummerCat

DrummerCat New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a Big Game 7 foot casting rod that I've been using for a number of years now. For 20 bucks they are hard to beat. The biggest cat I've pulling in on that particular rod has been a very mad 20 pounder. The rod held up very well.

The only problem I have ever had with a Big Game series rod is with one of my 7 foot spinning rods ...the rod seat came loose and rotates around the blank. I think I just got a bum rod ...I have others exactly like it and haven't had any problems with them. Just make sure you check the reel seat before you buy the rod. All in all I like the rods and recommend them.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have checked those rods out and they seem like a decent rod for the price..The only thing I did not like was the eyelets, they seem a little cheap, but maybe it's just me?..If you want a good rod for cheap I highly reccomend the shakespere sturdy stik, catfish connection has them for 16 bucks.

4. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I've got two of the 7ft castin rods for my kids.Never any problems with em,my kids biggest was 18lbs I think.Had em for about 3-4 years...no complaints. :cool:

5. Marshallmth

Marshallmth New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio Area
    I have 2 now, and the only problem I had was the one with the Glowing tip. It snapped off pretty easy as if it was dry rot

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've got the 7' casting rod & I like it just fine. The largest fish i've caught with it was a 10 lber.

Eric

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have two 7 foot med/heavy and one 7.5 foot med. cast and they have been good rods for me. I like the med/heavy the better, but am getting an extra heavy one from Gator, that I am sure is going to be a lot nicer, but will still use these also. For the price of them if you don't like them, you won't be out very much any way. JMO. Dick

8. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    They are cheap but one can probably do better. I have a 7' casting rod and it's my least favorite rod. Of course it all depends on "what" you are fishing for. I bought it to experiment with mono & circle hooks.

Having said that, I did catch a 30 lb Blue on it in fairly decent current with an 8 ounce sinker. I doubt it was made for that though, LOL.

9. CatManDrew

CatManDrew New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    all we use are Berkley Big Game Rods. We've hauled in a 42 lb blue and 35 lb flatheads with them with no problems. The eyes to tend to break or bend on a few but we've never had one snap.

10. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I have two that I have used for about 3 years with no problems. I like the catfish ugly stick better. The sensitivity of the tip and the number of guides is the main difference.

11. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Honestly i dont own one but i have seen and handled them , now my thought process would be to spend the extra ten bucks if at all possible and go with the ugly stick catfish rod and have piece of mind when mr. big fish comes knocking. Now thats worth waiting for if neccesary.

12. pitmaster

pitmaster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I plan on buying one of the spinning rods buy this weekend and going blue cat fishing on the Kansas River up by Kansas City. I will let everybody know how it worked out. Good hunting

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    They're not bad rods but they are made cheaply so you will run into quality issuses occasionally. If you're not out fishing alot and on a budget they are about perfect. Personally I would rather spend a bit more for quality.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I own two, they are nice rods for the money I have caught lots of cats on them.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The only thing wrong with the Berkley's is they are Pintos and everyone wants to drive Cadillacs. Not a thing wrong with Pinto's, brother.

16. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I have two of the 8ft mh spinning models and the work real good for me, and for the price they are how can you go wrong.

17. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i picked one up bout a year and a half ago, 8 foot spinning MH and fell in love with it... i took it out to north myrtle beach last summer and had a shark latch onto my bait and bent the tip of the rod all the way to the handle and ended up snapping 50 pound test spiderwire without a problem. the rod survived, and i still use it today, and i bought a second one. as soon as i can, i'll be buying a third one.

18. CatfishThunder

CatfishThunder New Member

State:
    kENTUCKY
    What about a Rhino Indestructable MH action.

19. alaska13

alaska13 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know this thread is old, but wanted to record my experience with this rod. I bought one yesterday to take to Myrtle Beach because it is a two piece and would fit in the car. When I got it home I was comparing the back bone to my other rod, and the Big Game rod snapped in half like a twig. I didn't even put any pressure on it. I'm headed back to return it now. Could have been a defect. If they give me my money back I will get something else if not and they let me exchange it, I will report on how well the new one holds up.

20. Kzoo catman

Kzoo catman Active Member

State:
    michigan
    Name:
    jason
    thats the rod that ive seen snap in my boat more than any other rod besides the berkley glowstick..big game spinning rods snap by the handle and the tip.