Berkley Big Game rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bkhollan, Jun 9, 2006.

1. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    Has anyone tried out the Berkley Big Game rod. They are $20 dollars and seem pretty solid. I am thinking of giving one a try. Thanks

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have 2 of them but haven't used them much. I bought a Shakespeare medium heavy Catfish rod the other day (Walmart) and I like it a lot better. For $7.00 more, I believe it's well worth the extra money.

3. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Depends, How much weight and bait do you plan on throwing? I use them with my Penn 500's when the 12ft Beefsticks are too much (Stiffness or Length) Works well with 2 oz of lead and 5" 'gill. I don't like them in current though. I feel there is no "one size fits all" rig. Adapting your equipment economically to different conditions is always a challenge. Having multiple rods for your reels is one way to accomplish it. Try one, under certain conditions it could be your perfect $20 rod. Have fun, Jeff

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've got one & it's a decent rod. Mine is for channels though. I wouldn't want to use it for big fish.
    I bought mine a year ago and it is stiffer than the ones that are on the shelf now. It's like everything else, they get cheaper and cheaper.

Eric

5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    if you can find them the berkley reflex rods are awesome for the money. cant go worng there.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    last July 4th I went Bluefishing with my cousin and used my Big Game rod for the first....and last time. On the very first fish (a 15# Bluefish) the rod snapped in half. That was the first time I had it off the rod rack and on the water. You couldn't beat your way out of a cloud of smoke with that thing.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Beware of the tip quides on the big game rods, they do not have a insert, and get line cutting grooves in them quick.

8. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I have one of those Big Game Rods. I have owned it for the better part of 5 years. Although its not the greatest rod in the world, it works. A $20 rod, for 5 + years = less than $4 per year. Any way you look at it, thats not a bad deal. I have landed 40+ pound fish on it with no problem. Overall Good rod for beginners or for people tight on money.

9. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think there a great rod for channels. There also good for throwing light baits like crawlers and stink baits. I wouldnt use them for flats or blues but for 1-10lb cats there great.

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I hate to say it but I had the top third of one broken off buy a 25lb"ish" cat last year. I dont trust them, sorry.

11. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    before i had my rods jacked those are the only spinning rod i would use i like them very much and i have consintily (spell check) caught fish over thirty with them that is what i caught my pb flathead with 57lber
    but like every other product some batches are better than others jmho

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have one that I have been using for a few years. It has worked great for me.

Up until recently I was usually using 2 oz of weight and a 4 to 5" bluegill for bait.

I wouldn't really suggest it for a heavy current situation, but that was what I was using when I pulled in a 40# spoonbill in current.

Overall I would gladly use it for smaller (up to 15#) fish with the occassional larger fish thrown in (I am guessing mine could handle up to 70# or more).

One thing to remember is your drag setting on your reel. It should be set to the weakest part of your tacke, and that might be your rod (and is in my case, since I use Power Pro line). If your drag is letting out before it stresses the rod too much, your rod should last a good long time as long as you take good care of it otherwise.

13. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    thanks for all the info.

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Taliesin is very correct about setting your drag to the weakest part of your gear.

I have and like a big game spinning rod but its not "wenching" rod. If you are looking for a good channel or light flathead rod this is a good choice.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I own two big game rods, one is a 8'' MH and the another is a 7'' MH rod, I have land some nice cats on them but nothing big yet. I think they is a good rod for 20 bucks.