Berkley Big game has a nasty memory

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by gearhead, Nov 7, 2006.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I purchased some 12Lb and 30Lb tried to spooled up two reels this past weekend what a mess , was the same at the lake a mess, i think i'll put the red cajun back on , just my opinion. It might be strong i don't know but i didnt like fighting that memory that it has .ole well i gave it a shot just doesnt work for me.

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I've never had any memory problems with the big game, and I've went thru quite a few spools of it.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Did you have tension on it when you spooled it up? Also,after I used it a cpl times it loosened up a lot.I like it really well.I use the 30# electric blue.

4. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Yea, i put some tension on it when i spooled it up i was wondering if i let my reels sit in the back of the truck in direct sun or just gave it a little time to soften up a little , i spooled up saturday and went that evening so it didnt get much time.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    It took a good day out fishing to get it the way I like it.I think if you give it a chance you'll like it.The cajun red is good stuff too.
    Best of luck to you!!!

6. jimmyk

jimmyk New Member

State:
    virginia
    I use 30 and40 lb. berkely big game and have had no problems with it. It is real strong. Landed a 53lb. blue with it this past summer.Good luck and good fishing.

7. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    This 12 and 30 is the Electric Green Hi Test if that makes a differance i liked the looks of the hi visability i fish at night mostly i just had awful memory with both.

8. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    if you have a boat let the line out with no weight or lure hooked to the end and let it all out and rewind it on the spools it will take all the twist out of it

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Where did you get the line at? Sometimes those spools have been sitting in the store for forever and just have a good bit of memory (if you check all the line types from that store it'll be the same or similar) I use BBG all the time, it does have some memory to it but it works out fairly nicely alot faster then most other brands i've tried...

Give it some time, i wouldn't suggest having it sit in a hot car/truck, if its on a spinning reel , take the spool off and soak it in warm water for a few minutes and that will help... actually slightly higher temps then just warm... it'll help... not just w/ BBG but any line

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I LOVED my regular 30# big game, so i bought some Hi Vis Gold, Absolutely hate it! It is thicker than regular 30# and has MUCH MUCH more memory. I will never buy any Hi Vis again in that high of a strength (i bought Cajun, PLine XXT, and Stren Original and had the same effects). I love my regular big game. it's awesome. It has the lowest line memory of any line i have used. What i do is spool it as regular, next time i am out in the boat i run every bit of line out of the spool and troll along slowly (3-5 mph). this straightens the line and takes any line memory out of it. I also do this once every 5-10 times out (about once a week) and it holds up great, my favorite mono!!

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use 10, 12, 15, and 20 lb Big Game. I've had no real problems with memory. Its about like the Trilene XT I used to use on my spinning reels, except a bit stiffer in the 10 lb test. The 10 lb test is on my spinning reel, the rest, except for one big spinning reel with 20 lb, is on levelwinds. Four levelwinds, two spinning reels and very few problems. I spool them myself. As for color, not sure it makes a difference. Two clear reels of big game, one 12, one 20. One spooled with 15 lb Solar Green, one with electric blue 15 lb, and one with the pinkish color 20lb big game. I fish about three days a week. Don't ask me about backlashes, but those are my fault, not that of the line. I will go back to 10 lb XT on my light spinner, in that class, I like the XT better, but have about 1000 yards of 10 lb blue to use up first...maybe two years.

12. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i had the same problem with the high vis. line i bought i went back to the cajun line and started using iron silk also

13. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    You may have gotten hold to a old spool.I bought 4 rolls from BPS last year(30lb).3 spools went fine,1 went in the garbage.I now buy the large spools & keep them in the fridge till I need them.

14. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I got both spools at bass pro shop , i'll drag it behind the boat with nothing on them this weekend and try again ,thanks everyone.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I buy all my big game in the 1 lb spools from boaters world, 30# and 40#. I have never had a problem with them. The only time I ever have a problem with it, is when I leave them in the boat during the hottest parts of the summer. The extreme heat in the rod box makes the line get brittle and makes it have a lot of memory. In the summer I change the line about every 2-3 months and then about every 6 months or whenever I feel its getting worn out. I get all my spools lined at the local tackle shop with the line spooler they have their. They have just the right amount of tension on them and they fill your spool up the right way.

16. MRFLATHEAD

MRFLATHEAD Guest

the hi test big game is nasty stuff i tossed mine in the trash after i spooled one reel. i only buy my big game from catfish connection in the 1/2 lb spool you would not believe how soft it is. i also spray my line with reel magic before i put it on and also after i spool up i spray it. reel magic is really great stuff

17. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    I like the big game, but i find its best spooled up 3-4 days ahead of time. That usually works for me, hope this helps.

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Must not have gotten hung up, or caught any thing large enough to take the memory out of it yet!

19. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Have The Solar Green And I Agree It Does Have Quite A Bit Of Memory But Man Is It Great Line. I Wouldn't Trade It For Anything. Just Give It A Shot After A Couple Trips To The Lake It Will Be Fine.

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've noticed that the clear and blue big game in 15 and 20lb seems a bit more supple than the solar green, thought I like the green both for drift fishing in the daytime and night fishing. Its easier to see, especially if running multiple lines.