Berkley Big Game for Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by DJH1, Jan 17, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anybody been using the Berkley Big Game casting rods they sell at WalMart for $20? Fixing to try to gear up before the spring. I would like to buy something of a little higher quality, just on a tight budget. If these rods would work it'd knock about $50 per rod/reel combo off of my overall price.

Anbody used these rods with circle hooks? Do they "load up" very good? Caught any really big fish on these rods? Should I not cheap out and go ahead and spend the extra money?

Thanks

Joey

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Joey,
    I have one of the Big Game Rods and they work fine. Although, I have never used them with circle hooks. But yes they load up good with the 10/0 King Kahle hooks. I personally think they are an excelent rod for the money. Also another good rod at a cheap price is the Shakespeare Sturdy Stik. They cost about $18.00 online from catfish connection. These have more strength and backbone than the berkley's and can handle more weight for casting. Ive bought a couple of these recently and are now my favorite rod. rspd507

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All I'll say is this. Don't take a knife to a potential gun fight. LOL!

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    i would have gave ya rep's katfishin 50 on that one, but the server wouldn't let me!!!:smile2::tounge_out:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If I were looking for a cheaper rod, I think I would go for one of the American Spirit Nite Sticks - $20-25 at Catfish Connection or possibly your local tackle shop. I had a Berkley Big Game several years ago, and the tip broke off much easier than it should have. Another good option at $30-32 is the Shakespeare Catfish Ugly Stik.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am probably a cheap skate but I like those rods just fine. They will handle the biggest thing I have in Oklahoma to catch. But, I'd never spend the money for a hummer when a ford would work just fine. I once hooked into what I now believe was the USS Swordfish at a local lake. Was fishing with a circle hook at the time. Had it on for over a minute when I suddenly remembered I hadn't set the hook. Bad thought. Real bad. But the rod handled everything just fine.

7. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Go with ugly stick and don't look back.Had some of mine for over five years,I had to buy them one at a time,but trust me on this one bro.:wink:

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Forgot to mention, the reel seat clamp also broke - the metal piece that attaches the screw tightener to the actual clamp seperated, making it hard to remove a reel.

9. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    For a good inexpensive Circle Rod we have been using the 8' Eagle Claw Water Eagles. They go for $15-$18 and have stood up to everything we have thrown at them so far. And the do load up very nice with circle hooks.

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with James. Go with the Ugly Sticks and don't look back.:wink:

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    My dad has a couple of the Berkley Big Game rods, with Shakespeare Tidewater 30L's and some kind of cheap 30 lb mono. Maybe $60 total invested in each one. You couldn't give them to me, but they seem to work fine for him. Although I cringe every time the rod bends over - he managed to drag in a 40 lb blue on one last summer, but I really didn't expect him to get it anywhere near the boat. He uses circle hooks (because that's what I tie on for him...) and the rods load up fine.

If you don't regularly target (and catch!) big blues, you probably don't need to spend a lot on a good rod. But if you want to be confident that the monster on the other end is going to end up posing with you in a photo, you'd do well to invest in good quality rods, reels and line that won't let you down when the pressure is on. I wouldn't count on a $25 rod or reel to do that for me.

12. BUCK

BUCK Guest

I HAVE GOT 9 OF THOSE ROD AND THEY DO A GOOD JOD i drith fish useing circle hook the rods do great

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would prefer just about any cheap rod, including the american sprit nite-stik over the berkly big game rod..

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You don't have to spend alot to cat fish, there are alot of rods close to that price including ugly stick. Just look around for sale items. The rod you are talking about , I had one not to long ago worked great till the handle broke off.

15. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have one that I have had for about 6 years, but I do not use it anymore unless it is a real emergency. I see that you are in Missouri, that is where I am originally from and I went back for Christmas this year. I always stop at BPS on the way home to go to the outlet store (MO is the only BPS Outlet store). They have all of the older model CatMaxx rods on clearance. They are only 29.95 and work great. I use the 8' MH one piece rods almost exclusively. They load up just fine. I use 8/0 Gami Octopus Circles. They also have plenty of backbone. My biggest is a 51# and my partner up in VA has caught a couple of 74# recently on the James River, which has quite a bit of current. That is about a cheap as you get and still have some confidence.

16. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i would say the eagle claw rod would be a good choice for the money go ahead and get u a 9-10foot one which ever u find and enjoy it i started with eagle claw they have my vote for good 20$ rod

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They've worked just fine for me. I've caught fish over 40lbs on them and I only use circle hooks with them and they work fine. If you're not fishing current you'd be fine with them. I doubt the've got the rear end to land a 70+lb fish, but that's a chance you'll have to take.

18. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have never used the one I have with circles. I bought it for my nephew in the summer. I think its a nice rod but not built for heavy duty work.

19. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have several 7' nite sticks, and several big game rods. all med. heavy action. the 7' nite sticks are flimsy and thin compared to the big game rods. they're a really good rod for the price. (big game) you can also get the catfish ugly sticks from walmart too.

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hmmm thats strange I think the Nite Sticks are much more stout than the Big Game Rods.