Berkley Big Game fishing rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by duckbuster, Aug 26, 2007.

1. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I have to say that I am fairly impressed with these rods. Plenty of backbone, sensative tip and come in a variety of sizes in casting or spinning models. So far the biggest fish that I have brought in was a 32lb blue from the Mississippi river in medium-heavy current. I have nothing but good comments for these rods. Also, at around $20 they are a pretty good value.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Terry I have to agree with you. They are a good rod for the money. I have a few in the med/hvy, and have never had a problem.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a 6"6 Medium two piece spinning. I actually purchased it for my nephew it seems to be a good rod for channels. I have only had it for two months and havent caught anything worth mentioning. It seems like a really good value to me just a tid-bit stiffer and a bit more recoil and it would have been almost perfect. But for $20 it's a steal I wish I would of came up across this sooner.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have two they, are real good rods.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've got two as well and they are great rods for sure. The biggest fish I've caught on them is about a 20-25lb flathead and they worked fine. I'll have to see how they do against a big flathead or this winter on some big blues. That'll be a true test.

6. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah i bought a 9ft heavy action rod, Berkly big game it's nice really nice i must say for the price i paid

7. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do they have a deal with wally world making these? I can't find them anywhere else.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have only seemed them at Wal-mart and that was the last one left. It doesnt even look like Berkley has info on them on their own site.???

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Same here. They sell out quick and they only order them in the spring.

10. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    I also have a Big Game rod 6'6 MH and I like it but the only down fall is that I kinda feel like the handle diameter is too thick. On the other hand though I havent caught anything of any real size just like Bacardipr05 had mentioned. I kinda feel like I may be wrong with the handle size when that once in a life time fish tears into it. Maybe give me something to hang onto.

11. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have several also, limber enough to catch smaller fish and enjoy it. Throws light baits good. Biggest we have caught have been 2 blues in the 20-25lb range out of the alabama river. Good buy for 19.99

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The handle is a bit on the big side and its shaped differently than most. In other words it has some curves on it(not straigh) like most. Just a word of warning it wont fit inside most of the smaller standard rod holders(the type you dig in to the ground). I had a bigger rod holder and it fit well in that one.

13. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I e-mailed Berkley and asked if they only sell them at WalMart. The reply that I received stated that the Big Game line of Berkley rods are a WalMart only exclusive. So if you want one of these, Wally World is the only place you'll find them.

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Figures i never saw them anywhere else. I still think its a good rod for the $20 bucks. Dont know its stout enough to handle trophy size cats and blues. I am thinking of getting another one for a replacement for my Ol whiskers rod which is just to "limpy" for me.

15. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

I picked up a 7' MH, handles the bait and weight good...unfortunately, haven't caught a good fish on it yet...:angry:

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own two a 7' and a7.5' in mh I'd love to find one in 9 or 12 ft

17. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've got a 7 and a 9 landed several 20-30 lb stripers and some 30+ cats with no worries. Had a 5ft shark on one for 20 minutes but the leader snapped at the pier..

18. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Makes me feel a bit better I might pick another one up. As the first one I bought was intended for my nephew I just used a few times....lol....

19. xtremecatfishin

xtremecatfishin Member

State:
    Conway Ar
    I am extremely pleased with these Rods i swear by them i've done alot of fishing in my life and caught alot of cats. Maybe not some of the bigger ones but i've caught thousands of them and most have been on these rods. I have nothing bad to say about them.
    later,
    X

20. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Wal-mart sells toy fishing poles not catfishing rods.