Berkley big game fishing rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by brinley45cal, Mar 20, 2009.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    anyone have any experience with these rods?i want honest opinions good or bad.the reason i ask is i was at wal-mart and they had them on sale the regular price was 20.96 and they were on sale for 11.00.I thought heck for that much ill give it a try.Its a 7'6 ,2 piece rod medium action,e-glass casting rod.So are they any good?I thought i might use it for a channel cat rod if it wasnt enough for blues or flatties.Thanks for helping a brotha out:wink:

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    James I've got one with a ABU 6000 on it, and really like it. It's a great "channel" rod. How could ya go wrong for $11? I'll have ta check for that price, maybe pick up another. It's not an Ugly Stick, but that's bout third the price.
    If someone gave me a custom rod, it would scare me, LOL. I don't spend much on tackle. I've got 3 6000's, with cheap rods, the best of the litter being an 8ft Ugly Stick. The Big Game is second, and then a 10 footer from china that the name eludes me....and almost wish the rod would too if the reel fell off first.
    :eek:oooh:Maybe I shouldn't even offer an opinion. I'm obviously not "right" bout this tackle stuff......

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    My son has 3-4 sitting around here he uses and never has any problem out of them,,And he catchs some Big ole Blues on them..:wink:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have two,One 7',one 7.5' like em both. Most likely will add some more in the future,I'd like to see one in an 8' casting model tho.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Persoanlly I dont like them, very cheaply made..basically junk in my opnion.

6. catfishDK

catfishDK New Member

State:
    cincinnati OH
    There not bad rods for the money. But when you lean on a fish with them only the top foot and a half of the rod bends they just dont have much back bone. But if your not up to spendind 60 to a 100 on a quality rod then you just cant beat 11 bucks!! also if your fishing rivers with alot of current they will be bent over all day

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    When the first 3rd bends it has a mod/fast to fast action blank/ tip section. It also tells me it has a good strong back.I just pulled on a 8'Med spinning Big Game and it flexs all the wat down into the handle, which tells me that it has a slow action blank. i've said it before , you can get these rods in all types of action/ power/ fresh/ salt-water/ the list goes on and on..You just need to pick one that fits your style and liking to the type of reel, fish and fishing conditions you will be under.

8. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for all the input guys i appreciate it.Like i say i couldnt pass it up for 11 bucks and they didnt have many left.So i figured what the heck ill give it a try,if it turned out not to be any good or just dont like it then i wasnt out a fortune on it.Ill let ya know how it works out for me next time i use it.

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I found these on sell at Wally World for 11 bucks and also bought one.I tried it out yesterday and from my 1 trip out with it I have come to this conclusion.

Should be good for channels and blues as it doesn't seem to be quite sturdy enough to sling 1/2 lb and bigger live baits,but works great tossing decent size cutbait. I didnt catch any cats on it because it seems that the walleye were out in full force snatching my cut bait soon as it hit bottom.

It did have enough backbone to take the fun out of catching smaller fish tho :smile2:

So in short if your a flathead guy leave these on the shelf.Especially if your into using pop bottle size live baits.

10. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I personally don't like them either, with that said I suppose they would make an alright channel rod. I don't trust the reel seats, if you buy some(and @ $11 why wouldn't ya), zip tie the reels tightly down to the rod.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I had one as one of my early catfish rods. Eventually the tip broke off, and the reel seat failed. For 11 bucks it's still a decent deal as long as you don't push it's limits too hard.

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would use it primarily for channel cats especially the 7 ft and smaller model. The 8 ft model has a decent feel to it. The smaller one are kind of soft. I keep one in the car figure for that price if it gets banged up who cares. My buddy caught a few flatheads with his 8 ft model and it held up.

13. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like them alot and have had great luck, have 8 of them, some are old and banged up but still work great. Biggest fish to date on one was an 84 pound blue caught in the current. They are not the best by any means but you can't beat them for the price. Biggest flathead on one was 62 pounds and it worked fine. I use Okuma CL302L's on them spooled with 30 pound big game. BUT, I also like to allow the fish to tire out and don't try and just muscle them in. Mine are the 7 foot medium heavy casting rods that Wal-Mart sells. Chris

14. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I have 1 seems alright for channel dont know if i would want to test one on a big blue or flat head :cool2::cool2:

15. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :crazy::eek:oooh: for 11 bucks i would buy every 1 ya can get !!! how can ya go wrong !!! i had a whole set I used for 3 years and caught blues up in the 30s and around a hundred in the 20 pound range drifting while drifting . and did just fine to say the least .. sold mine to my nephew and he has caught huge channel and flatheads on them .. they have good back bone along with a nice soft tip ,, and ive seen them throw 6 ounce sinkers all day ..

I personally know Chris and he is a good friend and he has caught a 80 lber and a bunch of blues from 20 - 50 lbs on theese rods in current below truman dam !!!!!!!!!! Wish i would have kept mine to tell ya the truth :sad2::sad2:

for that kind of money ya cant go wrong !!!!!!!!!

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Knew i should have got more.:confused2:I got a new med-hvy settin in the rack with a new 6500 on it. Never seen water yet.Looked at ugly stiks last nite but they were 30 something bux and only Med.

17. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Decent rods for the price but with that low price comes low quality. They work but depending on how much and hard you fish they don't last very long.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I like the 6' 6" MH version of these rods. Never had a failure or any problems with them. The only drawback I have found with them is flimsy eyes, and only five of them. The rod itself will haul in anything you hang with no problems.

Bill in SC

19. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Great feed back guys i really appreciate it.like i say mine is just a med action rod so i got my fingers crossed that it holds up.you guys are the best thanks

20. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i bought one last year and it was junk broke right in front of the reels seat first time i used it