Berkley Big Game 30# Solar Collector Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catfishjohn, May 11, 2009.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Do they make 1/2lb spools of this? I've looked around and can't find the Solar in 1/2lb spools. I've also had a hard time finding the 1lb spools of this color. No problems finding it in other colors though.:confused2:
    I'm looking to buy either a 1/2lb or a 1lb spool of this. Anybody have any info on where to get it reasonably priced?
    Any info is much appreciated!:wink::cool2:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John I find a 3 lb spool listed in the solar at catfish connection but I find nothing on the 1 lb or 1/2 lb spool. That is the line that I use also.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    John, you should try Ande.. I was a big game fan until I got a spool of it.. Much easier to work with and just as strong imho.. Same color too :wink:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've used the Ande 30# Monster Yellow some this year. Its good line, I still have it on one reel.
    I ended up finding a 1475 yard spool of the Big Game HI Test 40# Electric Green for $30. I decided to go ahead and get it since I'm fishing a lot of log jams and some pretty rough areas and since it was a good deal. I've already had to re-spool several times this year due to so many break offs, I figure that big spool will last me a little while anyway.:wink::smile2:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been getting my line from Kens Bait & Tackle next to the old Pelican resturant. He has all kinds of it in different spools. I recently decided to upgrade to 25# mono and 40# mono Big Game green. I bought a $30. spool of each. :crazy:

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    John was the BG Solar the blue line you was using last year???

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

No, that was BG Electric Blue. The Solar is what you was/are using. The Hi Test I ordered is the same green color.

8. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    John, it sounds like you have been doing the same hunt as I have and I ended up getting the same thing,, mine should be here any day now...I hope the Hi Test Is as good as the regular Big Game, if you keep an eye out every now and then the have a 1lb spool of the solar green 30LB on there, but I missed the last one and havent seen it again,,
    Puddle

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've heard its good stuff. I'm like you, I hope I like it as well also. Sounds like we may have got it from the same place, everywhere else its a lot higher priced. Let me know how you like it, mine is supposed to be here in 2-5 days and I gotta go through the 40# Stren Catfish thats on my reels now before I spool up with it. I figure a trip or 2 and it'll be time to re-spool again.:smile2:

10. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I have some low-vis green #30 GB on a couple of rods:confused2: so when I get it im going to spool it right on them, hopefully it will be here in the morning, im fishing Wed. I will let you know how it does..:wink:
    Puddle

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was thinking that Kens TBC might have the line. A couple of weeks back I was in there and they had several spools of Berkley Solar. I didn't check the spool size or weight class.

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I use the Hi-Test on my Channel poles and love it. I think it is actually better than the standard BG line.

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Part of mine came from Steve's and I picked up a spool some where else can;t remember where. All I have seen locally is the reel fill packs (300yds.) or so. It was labeled Berkley Big Cat I like it real well. It seams more flexable than the 25# Big Game that Larry gave me the day I had the Birdsnest.

14. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    catfish connections had a 1/2lb spool in the catalog last yr i think i would call them and see if they can get it again or tell you who carries it

15. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    John ,
    My line got delivered to the wrong house so im on holding pattern with my review so if you get yours let me know how you like it...Fedex got to love them.:eek:oooh:
    Puddle

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I got mine 2 days later. I still haven't used it yet though. I've been fishing a few times but its only been channel cat fishing so I used light equipment. Were going on an all nighter flattie trip tomorrow so I'll probably be spooling up with it after that. I'll be sure and let you know how I like it. It does seem good and stout just from messing around with it.

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I got mine from the same place also:wink: two months ago. I love it.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

John,
    I have nothing but good things to say about the line!!! First trip with it I pulled up a decent sized tree from 30'+ of water with it.:eek:oooh:
    Its strong as heck! I haven't caught any big fish with it yet, 11lb Flattie was the biggest. Its awesome line and great visibility. I've had to cut my line a couple times because I couldn't break it. Definitely 2 thumbs up for it!!!:cool2:
    I'm sure you'll like it!:big_smile:

19. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    John,
    Finaly got it sorted out and got a replacment spool," By the way the guy who sells it on there was a great help" have used it the last couple of trips, its a little stiff but I like it, it will do untill I can find some 30lb solar. I will give it a chance to get broke in before I will pass a final judgment.I did land a nice 31LB blue on it yesterday. :wink:
    Puddle

20. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    can get the 1/2 lb sppol if ya call B.P and ask for it and they will give ya all the info dont know why they dont list it but if ya call they will get it to ya asap how i get mine