Berkely Glowstick fishing rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Gary S., Dec 7, 2005.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey fellers... I'm hoping Mrs. Santa might bring me a couple glowstick rods for Christmas. I looked in the "rods" section before posting to see if there was a current review on them , but came up empty.
    My question is this: Are the M/H rods a real M/H or are they wimpy. To clarify a bit, will I get a good solid hookset on a biggun if I've got 100 yds of line out on the 10ft model, or is the backbone just not enough?

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I have one and haven't had any problem with it. The biggest fish I've caught with it is about 6 pounds but it had PLENTY of backbone. I think it will handle anything I will ever be lucky enough to hook.

3. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Gary,
    I have one in M/H and I did like it for a while. Now I am afraid to use it. It does have a lot of backbone, but it has too much handle. The problem is that the blank does not extend completely to the end of the handle. During one of our ACATS tournaments last season, my partner was using an identical rod with a large hook and 5 inch shad for bait. When the fish hit, he removed the rod from the holder and started putting some pressure on the fish, ( a rather large fish which it really hurt to lose in a tournament). The rod broke about 6 inches from reel seat and the fish was gone. An inspection of the rod revealed that the blank was about 20 inches short of being a true "through the handle blank". It was glued into the handle close to the reel seat. He later told me that trying to get a replacement from Berkley (The rod was only two months old) was next to impossible. If it were me, I would steer clear of them. I only use mine for slip cork fishing now when I don't really expect to hook much of anything. I do use a Berkley Reflex and I will stand by that rod forever.

4. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 4 glowsticks.I have had problems with the stick lighting up it seems to have a short in all 4 of them.Replacing them is near impossible thru berkely.

5. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Took me about a dozen emails to Berkley and they would not answer my question. I asked if the Glowstik was blank through handle constructed and if the blank went all the way to the end of the handle. Finally got a response stating "Blank thru handle". I owned a couple that went to ebay. Not what I wanted for a big flathead rod, looks like it would work well for 10lb. channels though. Abu

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know Brother Mellon has a couple of them, and I have handled them before..I would consider them a good channel cat rod...I dont like the tip guides on them, they are cheap and dont have a ceramic insert.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I had a M/H that broke on me with a huge fish on. The break was at about 8" from the reel. I agree it would make a good channel cat or bullhead rod.

8. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the responses. I just can't figure out why someone in these companies comes up with a good idea like this, and then the company acts as if spending 1 single dollar/rod is way over budget. It really pi$$e$ me off. I have a similar idea to put into a good rod, but the poor mans budget I'm on, won't let me do much about it right at the moment. So I thought I'd just spend thirty bucks or so and could fish with a rod similar to what I'd been conjuring up----yeah right---sounds like there pretty much junk.
    Again thanks guys, I'm glad y'all are here.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Glowsticks: "Random Thoughts By Mellon"

I have two Glowsticks. I paid $27 through Catfish connection. Some places want as much as $50 for them.

Thought #1: They are a GREAT $26 rod
    Thought #2: They are a HORRIBLE $50 rod

I was/am disspointed that the actual tip doesnt glow real well.

Thought/Point #3: Even thought the actual tip doesnt glow real well, two rods sitting side by side puts put as much light as a small latern.
    Thought /Point #4: The rods, in my opinon "glow" as good as you'd need turned off. Yes, even off they "glow".

I have felt a few different ones. I think the 7 foot med action ones are just not strong enough. I think the 8 foot med/heavy are okay. I think these rods are fine for med sized fish.

Thought #5: I think they are great for all Channels and even ok for Flats up to 15#'s.
    Thought #6: I'd be worried about bringing in a 20# Flathead espically fishing in river current or heavy structure.

The eyes/guides suck. My local tackle shop had to redo a couple of mine.
    Thought #7: The eyes suck. Did I mention that the eyes suck? ;)

They are two piece rods (at least the 8 & 9 footers are).
    Thought/Point #8. Sort of cool, you can turn them "on" and seperate them & then use the light as a flash light to find your way back to your car after fishing. :D

Finally #9: I matched my Glowsticks up w/ Abu 6000's. I think they make a very good pair, a nice combo, for the above mentioned fish. Anything over an Abu 6000 would be overkill & I dont think I'd trust a big heavy reel such as an Abu 7000 or larger on them.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This isnt the best picture of one, it would have been better if my flash was turned off.

11. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I agree with your thoughts Mellon. More thoughts..... Scrap the cork handle and use cheap eva foam if they want to save a dollar, I would rather have foam than cork myself. Make a 7 footer in one piece with a larger solid eglass blank to the bottom of the handle and quality guides firmly attached to the rod and capable of using mono or newer braided lines. Scrap the lights and attach one of Maine Wolf's lighted diodes at the tip. I guess it would be a whole different rod then. I believe the cheap, overpriced Glowstik novelty rods are aimed more toward smaller lake channel catfish. I wouldn't want it in the river if I were fishing for bigger sized channel cats in the current either. Abu

12. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow mellon, that was a thesis on glowsticks. Thanks. I think I'm gonna talk to Jim, our resident rod building expert about the idea I have and see if it's as feasible as I think it is. Whenever I get things more worked out, I'll let ya know.

13. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I know whistler had one the day i fished with him and he pulled a nice cat out of a bad snag....he pulled as hard as he could and that rod had no intentions of breaking.i was really impressed.....whistler might have to chime in and make sure im correct here caus eif i remember rite he also had a shakspear tiger rod but im pretty sure he wrestled that fish in with the glow stick.......he pulled in that 20+ lb cat and a 3ft section of tree limb after a good tug of war lol

14. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Just have to chime if for the GlowStik. I bought a 8" medium/heavy and put a Abu 7000 on it with 20 LB Berkley Big Cat, 8oz no roll, 7/0 Gamakstu octopus cirlce. First nite out with a 7" creek chub on I finally witnessed a flat bending a rod in half as the clicker went off. Have alwasy been down below sleeping and only dreamed about this occurance. Had just checked bait when I caught this rod bending out to the courner of my eye. First thought was a log had caught the line because it kept bending down as I reached for it. We fish the Missourri River in heavy current and was on the back side of a wing dam. The action of this rod had great feel and worked flawlessly in pulling in a 35LB flat. He had this rod bent in a complete U. No doubt to me my glowstik will handle a much bigger fish yet. Ran out and bought another one which i mounted a 310 GTI. Great rod, love the feel. Tip does not glow the best or as good as the lower section but it works. Must be using my drag different or they are not all constructed the same.

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The rod in the picture above looks nothing like the ones I seen at bass pro, they did not have cork handles, now the 15 dollar berkley not sure what series did and all the rod guides on the 15 dollar pole were all metal. Maybe what I saw was an updated pole.

16. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    I checked these out at Bass Pro this weekend and the feel really flimsy to me. I use the BPS Cat Maxx rods currently, and they've got a good solid backbone. I use the 7'6" MH rods with various 6500 models (2 speeds, CB's, CL3's, etc) and I guess I'm used to a stouter rod. I kinda whipped the Berkley rod around and it felt really really floppy, and I'd be leary of putting a 50+ pound blue against one of these rods. The other thing that really bothers me about them is they aren't 1 piece rods. I seriously dislike 2 piece rods, and avoid them at all costs, so this pretty much ruled these out. I do really like the Berkley Big Cat rods though and had about 4 of them until they got swiped by some scumbag.

17. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm lookin into another option. When I get more of THAT opton figured out, I'll post results.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Berkely Big Cat Rods? Do you mean the Berkley E-Cats or the Quantum Big Cats? Or does Berkley have a new line?

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dannbcc....... Your saying you did all that w/ a BERKLEY GLOWSTICK? That is way more than I'd trust mine too. I'd be affraid to cast 7 oz no rolls on it. I am glad to hear that you've gotten a better one, maybe they are maiking them for sturdy.

20. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Welll crap...ya got me. I meant Quantum... ;) doh!