Berkely ECATS vs. Jim Moyer BOSS rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by RiverKing, Sep 15, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Okay, well I have searched high and low and only found 1 ECAT rod, it was on ebay for 300.00, and i am not paying 300.00 for an ecat..So i have decided to try out the BOSS rods...Are they the same as the ECATS, or at least comparible..Im going to have to order it and i hate not being able to have the rod in my hand before i buy it..So i need some help..Will i be disapointed in this, or is it basically a newer version of the ECAT?? Thanks Guys and Gals

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Come one guys, I know someone around here has an opinion on this

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never used an ECAT before, but I do have a boss rod and I enjoy it a lot. I would be comfortable fighting any sized fish with that rod.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

You have the Medium/heavy. or the Heavy???

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Matt ,you arent going to find many E-Cats because they were great rods for the money and anybody that had/has one or ten keeps them.About the time I finally decided I wanted some Berkely quit making them simply because they felt they weren't selling well and were to expensive for "Catfishermen" to buy.I went round and round with various people at Berkely about it all to no avail.My only complaint with the E-Cats was they weren't white.Anyone mkaing or trying to make serious cat fishing rods should make them white for the night fishing aspect.I don't know about the BOSS rods but Moyer is a good fisherman and knows what he is doing.If I had to guess I would say compare the prices.If the BOSS is less, then something about the rod will be less.The E-Cats were around 80$ when they came out which was a medium priced rod in my mind.Compare the number and type of guides,type of handle etc which you can do from pictures.I would be willing to bet they are a "cheaper" version of the E-cat and arent as good.:smile2:

6. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I bought a Bossrod afew months ago. I don't have any complaints. It's pretty nice. I got the 7'6 model. I don't think the eyes will pop out like the Ecat rods. I think it's built better then the older models.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

You got any ECATS

8. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I found some new rods that are being developed for cats and they will not be cheap. They will be on the market soon and they were designed by a guy that spent alot of time and money on them. They will be 8ft and one piece and e glass rods with stainless guides also. Casting models are on tap now and I do not know if spinning is in the works or not. He has 4 different models and each is designed for spacific weights of line and bait combinations. I will have one in a few weeks and will post more details then.I do know that nothing was scrimped on on material and workmanship will be top of the line. He said that Cabela`s will have them in their catalog also.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    My boos rod is a medium heavy.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Hey Matt, I Have A Heavy Action Jim Moyer "The Boss" And I Have 3 More On Order 2 M/H. And Another Heavy Action. If You're Fishing A River With A Heavy Current I Would Recommend A Heavy Action. From All The Posts That I've Read These Rods Are As Good As The E-Cats But I Don't Know Because I've Never Owned An E-Cat. S_Man Has Owned Both And Gave Me Alot Of Info. When I Was Buying My First Jim Moyer Rod So You Might Want To P.M. Him Because He Owns Both.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I read an article online from a captain and his take on two of the rods you mentioned and he said that he had trouble picking the better rod that they were close in every aspect. I have not fished with either but thought I would share the little I have read about them.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have both rods and they are equal in my opinion in first sensitivity, then in strength, the BOSS has a way more limber tip but does not sacrifice any brute force in the butt section. I've landed a 41 and a 37 pound river flathead on these rods this year and found no faults. I have both in Heavy. My only observation is that I can cast larger 1 to 3lb baits more confidently with the E-cats. And smaller baits, farther (with less effort) with the BOSS.

13. brisue

brisue New Member

State:
    MO
    My Dad has 3 e-cats and he loves them we are getting ready to order a couple of the boss rods. I have only heard good things about them

14. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Willy, make sure and keep us posted on these new rods. Who by chance designed these? When will they be up for retail sale?

15. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    John Jamison designed them and there is 3 different weights of rods to pic from. They are called Bluecats and they are made with the best of materials. 8Ft 1 piece eglass blanks, fiji reel seats, Portiguise cork handles, stainless rod guides, and you can judge the size by the E cats size code as a Bluecat#2 will be like a Ecat #3 and so on up the scale. The #4 Bluecat was designed to be used on the lower Mississippi with 12oz of weight plus bait and no rod load should be visible.Fish in the 70# range have been caught on them and no problem handling them.They cost $125. plus shipping and they will be available soon. All are hand made at a rod shop in Kansas City and John will be in St Louis at a sport show this winter talking catfishing and he will have rods available for sale also. If ya need them quicker pm me and I will give ya more info on how to get in touch with them. He will be at the King Kat classic but will not have the heavier ones with him he said today. I will have one in hand in a month or so and will post pics when I get it.

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks Willy, I will be looking forward to seeing these.

17. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hey just want to question you on a name drop as I am not in the catfishing or rod manufacturing loop. Who is John Jamison?

Also, who manufactured the blank? What color is the blank? Fuji guides? Trigger reel seat? Grade cork? I'm just asking these questions so I have some clue as to where the corners were cut. At that price, it shouldn't be alot of skimping anyway...:smile2:

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    John Jamison is probably one of the most respected catfish guides around. If he's coming out with a line of rods, I would definitely be interested.

19. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    John is a good friend and he has been involved in catfishing for a long time.If you have read many Catfish insider Mags he has several articles over the last few years. More are on the way and the man knows bluecats like the back of his hand. Alot of time and money has been spent researching the materials in these rods and let me be frank as they were designed to be used to fish large rivers and each was designed for a spacific purpose. There are 3 poles on the market. and a #2 Bluecat has a action that is good for lighter baits and smaller weights but still has the backbone to handle 60 to 70 pound fish if the need arises. The #3 is stiffer and handles more weight and bigger baits. The #4 was designed for fishing heavy current and 12 to 24 oz of weight plus bait in the lower Mississippi river. If you purchase on you need to take in effect as to what you fish the most and where you would need the different actions. He will not tell you what blank he uses and rightfully so. All these poles are made by hand by a rod shop in Kansas City and if you want to talk to the rod maker call 816-454-6740 and the man will fill ya in on what is what.All I can tell ya is having known John for several years if you was putting your name on something to be sold to the public and your rep was on the line you will be sure to use all the best of materials in your product. Give the shop a call and talk to the folks if you have questions.

20. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Sounds good Willy. I may have to buy several of those and put them to the test on the mighty mississippi, using 16-20oz lead.LOL