Berkely big game rods

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mwhham, Jul 31, 2006.

1. mwhham

mwhham New Member

State:
    kentucky
    has any one used any of these rods that wal mart sells the white ones for 20 bucks are they any good for the price

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have three of the 7' ones in med/heavy, they did ok on 9 lbrs, but beyond that I have no idea. I like mine fairly well but use two of the black uglies they sell there in the 6'6" med/heavy.

3. mwhham

mwhham New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks for info

4. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one and I reel in 30-40 lbers in with mine, and really I have no problem with them, mine is a also a 7' Med/Hvy action rod and I bought it from Wal-mart. good luck

5. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    we have 2 big game white rods that we got from there and they work good

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I have one... never really caught much on it though... I normally don't like company's who seem to specialize in one thing's other products... I love their Big Game line but i'm not so trusting of their rods... just like eagle claw... I love their hooks and trust them but their rods are really cheap and not always made well... atleast the ones i've gotten haven't been...

That said they usually do make a better product for the price then alot of the other cheap tackle makers...

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have an 8ft med/hvy spinning rod that helped me land the fish in my avatar, I think that they are a good rod and have sufficent backbone to handle a decent sized fish even with 12lb line I was able to turn that 40lb blue when I needed to.

Aaron

TA2D

8. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    I've got one and I love it. It has enough backbone to turn a fish and it has a med. upper section that really tires out a fish. It has done fine on all the channel cats I have caught on it.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    thanks guys I have been looking at them myself:big_smile:

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a 9' MH Big Game Rod. It has always done well for me on channels. I did start to use it on blues. Never really caught a big blue on it, but it handled the 30+# spoonbill that swam into my hook mouth-first with no problems at all.

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Their ok , but it would be better to get a ugly stick. I have had and still do a berkley big game rod, don't like the solid metal tip at the top, replaced it with a shimano rod from bass pro that I like alot more.

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did forget about that metal eyelet at the top. I have had that one replaced due to wear from mono.

13. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 7 1/2 trigger stick and love it. I just wish the foam handle wasnt so thick. But, thats a minor complaint for a $20 rod that has a good action, soft tip with good backbone. I also like the two piece design so I can stow it away easy.

14. I've seen that setup in action.