Berkely Big Game Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by BenNewt, Oct 4, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I purchased a 7' MH Big Game rod at Walmart for 11 bucks on clearance. I paired it up with a 6500C3 and 65lb PP. I landed a 25 and 40 flathead on that rig and several other nice channels. I'm going to have to say that for the price, I can't see any rod that compares with the Big Game. When that 40 pounder dove straight under the boat, not only did the rod not break, it wore that old sow out.

Anyone else use a Big Game rod? Pros/Cons? I'm looking at purchasing a 7000C, and so far I can't find a reason not to pair it up with another BG.....

2. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i was lookin at those also and was wondering how good they actually were i may be buying some if they go on sale like that i wouldnt be able to pass em up myself

3. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I was a little aprehensive at first about buying the rod. I try to stay clear of super cheap gear; I fish for bass and panfish and typically spend more like $30 to $50 for a decent rod. The thing is that I've had really good luck in the past with Berkely rods, so I figured I'd give the BG rod a try--and so far so good....

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i got that rod also. its a very good rod. i paid full price for mine. you got a good deal Ben. i did, however pick up two berkley lighting rods at 15 bucks reg price 38.99. dont ya love those red tag sales?

5. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yeah gotta love clearance!

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great Rods, I've owned 2 8' MH Big Game and 1 7' M Big Game Rods for the Past 3 years and they have landed me plenty of fish as well as a 50LB Carp with no sweat. I bought 2 of the 8' MH Berkely GlowStcks back in July as well and they are among my favorite rods, good choice at a Great price.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hard to go wrong with Berkeley Big Game ,, Anything.. I sure like their stuff!!

8. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i had 3 that i fished with (same as you got) and i never had a problem with them i had all mine loaded with the 6600bcx (from wallmart) and they never let me down on any of my catches. only con i found is that the reel seat didnt seem to hold the reels that well even though they were screwed tight there just seemed to always be a slight wobble side to side to the reel when i was reeling one in. dont know maybe it was just mine?? any one else have this problem??

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I used the 'Big Game' rods for years! I always got the 6 1/2 inch length as they are a little stouter than the 7' and up rods.. They never failed me either. Their only drawback is the flimsy eyes. Take care of them and don't step on the eyes and they will last a LONG time!

Bill in SC

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Keep a close eye on the tip guide, the ones I have seen use had a groove wore in the guide pretty quick, that can cut your line.

I guess I would use them if that was all I had, but the ones that I have handled felt pretty cheap, but they are a cheap rod.

If you have landed big fish on them, I guess they work for you and that is that matters.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  11. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    Flathunters right about the tip guide. It's chromium and you wear a groove in it quick. But the tip guide is easy to replace... The rest of the guides have ceramic inserts and last just fine... They are decent rods for the price but a little to flimsy for tossing heavy weights from the bank...

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i own one, best rod ive ever had, i had another one but gave it to gus's (utattoo) kid after a few of theirs got stolen. they are on sale at wallmart now,payday im gonna go pick up a few. caught several huge channel cat up to 15lbs on it and many a big carp and a few smaller flathead, goin on 2 years of having it now.

13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thats weird the Big Games the most I have tried is a 3oz but the Glow sticks which look Identical almost I have thrown my okuma 450CL 5oz and Penn 320GT2 4oz the furthest I ever have from the bank :confused2: I've never had the tip problem as you guys :wink:

14. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    I think I'm going to run by WalMart tomorrow to see if they've put them on clearance here. I already have three Big Game catfish rods and so far I like them. I was thinking about getting an Ugly Stik Catfish, but I can't pass up a bargain.

15. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    picked up a med/hvy one the other day at walmart,7 1/2 " i think,casting rod,clearance price of 11 bucks! Too bad they only had one left,they had a bunch of med actions,but they were a little flimsey for me! As far as the reel not seating properly,I've never had a problem. The new one got a penn dropped on it and put to work,maybe you need bigger reels with more foot?

16. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    got a 7ft. MH for $11 last nite at walmart. they were pretty picked over, only 3 or 4 left.

17. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    nabbed another 7' MH today for $11. only 2 MH 6'6" and 1 7' MH left.

18. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have 7 big game rods and love them. I have been useing them for years.

19. Brandon05l

Brandon05l New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    :0a27: i got one just like it for only 5 bucks :0a5::0a5:

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    they are fine,but i like the ten foot glowsticks by berkly i would get one of them before a walmart one,just my opinion