bent hooks for gills

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by cliff n york, Aug 8, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    someone said, to stop gills from swolling the hooks, that they would bend the hooks. is this a long shank hook, are a shot one. also which way do you bend it. i must say i like this idea.

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    this is a new one on me it will be interesting to see how its done

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This is true..You take a long shafted cricket hook and about halfway between the eyehole and the hooks point take your needle nose pliers or your hemostat and gently bend it towards the hook point..It almost ends up looking like a small circle hook..It works pretty good for me..

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Forget it all, go get yourself some 1/64 lead heads save all the damn hassle and worry of bending too much.

Ever since I switched up 3 years ago I gut hooked one bluegill... and I go through several hundred a year!:wink:

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the tips! I gut hooked some gills Friday night that I would have much rather thrown out alive! Im gonna try it out.

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Very small jigs do work very well for catching gills in my experience.

Also I tend to flatten the barb with a pair of pliers, not totally flat, but about halfway. Makes unhooking them a breeze, less stress on the fish, less time unhooking.

When I used to fish with nieces and nephews a lot I always flattened barbs. If an accident happens its so much less tramatic. Plus it teaches them to keep the line tight. (little positive reinforcement doesn't hurt either)

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its always good to have a good pair of hemostats also..I also like to fish with a lil jig head under a cork.I usually put a tube jig and tip it with a lil crawler or power bait and jerk every 4-5 seconds..

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    There is a new thread about using the 1/64 leadhead in the Bluegill Fishing section that tells you exactly how I do it... Any questions please feel free to PM me:wink:

9. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    in the old days, commercial cat fishermen would take some hog ring pliers and bend the hooks for there trout lines.
    they called it setting the hooks.
    they did this so they didn't gut hook so many of the fish.
    they would put the fish in a old whiskey barrel,and they would stay alive for weeks.
    you could adjust the hog ring pliers as not to bend the hook too much and not scratch the bluing on the hook.
    I hope this helps.