bent boat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by river scum, Mar 27, 2009.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i bought an old aluminum speed boat to fix up. one of the fixes is on the nose where the winch hooks on. looks like they hit it too fast and bent that eyelet over on the boat. what do i have to do to get it strait again?

let me take a pic or two to help illustrate.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    the bent nose-[​IMG]

the boat itself-[​IMG]

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    is that an evinrude lark on the back of there?

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    no but its the same thing just a johnson, see how the cover splits. i have a lark and a big twin though, both 1957 35 hp. that motor will be for parts. this boat will be for sale later this season.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like quite the project, good luck and I am excited to see the end result

6. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would try a block of wood and a small sledge hammer, hit it lightly to see if it will bend back a little at a time. If it cracks then you could always just have it welded back up. Cool project to say the least! Chris

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think I would leave it alone, don't look like it is hurting anything as is. Trying to bend it back might work and then again aluminum is not very forgiving. It may not crack or it might crack or just break off.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    If you want to straighten the eye, have someone hold a heavy object like a sledgehammer against the base area noted by the upper arrow, then tap the eye firmly but not too hard at the lower arrow, moving the eye a little each blow until aligned. It should not crack if you do this.

Attached Files:

9. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I't don't look to me like the boat itself is bent,just the eye. I had one like that once to. The eye on mine was actually just a U clamp basicly and was threaded on the inside of the boat. I was able to unbolt and remove the eye it's self straighten it out and put it back good as new ! Not sure if that is your case but thought I would mention it :cool2: :smile2: Looks like a project and a half for me !! good luck ! :smile2: Would like to do some painting on my aluminum boat but dont want to mess up what I have now !!:smile2:

10. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    Tim , I think if you go ahead and drill all them rivits out you can get that in a vise and straight it out real easy !:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. BAMAJUGGER

BAMAJUGGER New Member

State:
    mccalla,alabama
    put a cresent wrench over the eye and straighten it that way.any kind of hammering in my opinion would loosen the rivets

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tim,
    That eye looks to be the least of your issues; that is one hell of a fixer-upper.
    I wouldn't mess with the eye until you have made a bit of an inroad on the rest and see what you are in for.
    Looking forward to hearing and seeing pics on your progress...W

13. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I might be hesitant to beat it back. Doing so might cause some problems with the rivets. Looks like they have plenty of age to go along with it. Might be just as quick and cut it off and weld another on in it's place.

Only a suggestion.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    keep the ideas coming guys, they are very appreciated!

15. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    You might be able to heat it with a propane torch then use a cresent wrench to bend it back.

16. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Bending or banging are just gonna cause more problems. I'd buy a new bolt on type eyelet, drill it and bolt it on and also put a piece of reinforcement metal against the hull when I bolted it down.

17. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Tim, I'm of the if it ain't broke don't fix bunch.
    If it isn't leaking and still does its job, :embarassed: I 'd hold off till at least get some bigger stuff done.:roll_eyes: