Bent barrel on rifle??

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by BLKCLOUD, Sep 24, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I didnt see a section for centerfire rifles so I guess this will work..
    I bought a brand new stainless Ruger mini 14 from one of my good friends..Its about 12 years old and has never been shot. when I got it, it had a bushnell 3x9 and a scope mount that screwed into the rear sight holes..I tried to bore sight it but the cross hairs would run out of adjustment before it centered the bore sighter..I put a 6x12 tasco on it and still no luck, I bought a bigger tasco 8x32 world class plus and a B-Square mount that fits on the side of the gun, still no luck.. when you get everything lined up the scope will not center with the bore sighter..finally I figured I would do it the hard way, from 5 yards I started sighting in the gun, i finally got back to about 25 yards and ran out of adjustment again..I did take the folding stock off and put the original back on but to no avail... any of you got any suggestions?? thanks!!

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Keith you got a new one on me!!!I never herd of having that problem.It'sbeen a while since I've owned a Mini14 but I bought one just like yours in 1984.I didn't have any problems when I put a scope on it,I just screwed down the mounts and put the scope on it and it was no different sighting it in than any other I'vedone.Itmay have a bent barrel but look at the force it would take to bend it.If you don't come up with an answer Just send me a PM and we'll talk about it.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I have the older ranch rifle and had a few issues with the canterlever scope mount, I would run it by a gun smith and if it has a bent barrel have another one put on it. They are great rifles.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Keith, You never mentioned as to which direction it wouldn't center . Elevation or windage? it may be that you have the wrong bases on it.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The problem is more than likely from the scope mount holes not being drilled right from the factory. More than likely the barrel itself is O.K. The best fix would have been to send it back to the factory. Its probably to late for that so you have two choices. 1. take it to a gun smith and have it re-tapped for scope mounts.2. You should be able to find some scope mount bases that have windage adjustment on the rear scope mount. This is the quickest and least expensive fix for this problem. I'm not saying this gun came from walmart but that is a common problem with walmart guns.

6. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    When I can get the crosshairs as close to the center of the grid as possible they are screwed all the way to the right and all the way to the bottom..thanks!

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    This model doesnt have a place to drill and tap for a scope.. You have to use a side mount..Ive run a machine shop for 20 years and have drilled and tapped quite a few guns in years past..I can remember watching a show on tv where they were making AR 15's.. they had a lady who stood at a arbor press and would put the barrels between 2 v blocks and bend them down until they were true.. I think I may try this with a couple of dial indicators..It aint gonna get any worse!!:smile2:

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When, and if you do remove the barrel, it should be easy to tell whether it is bent or not when you look through it. I really can't see this being the problem, but I guess anything is possible. I don't like those grid type bore sighters either. I have one, and tried to use it once, but it didn't seem to work properly...or I'm too stupid.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  10. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I knew i wasnt completely nuts!!!! thanks!!!

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I believe I would sell her before making modifications and what not. How does it shoot with the iron sights it came with? Until Ebay quit allowing barrel sales three weeks ago, you could but a mini 14 barrel brand new for $15 from gunsmiths that put on match barrels. I bought 7 or 8 over the years to take to my pals in Paraguay. Probably can find the barrels on www.Gunsamerica.com now but I haven't looked. Good luck.

12. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I'm pretty much stuck with it.. I bought it from a good friend with the deal that if I ever sold it I would sell it back to him.. he was in a money crunch,and probably will be in one for a while..the gun belonged to his pop and I would'nt sell it on that account..If you are like me you can count your friends on one hand and I wouldnt let a bent barrel come between us..:wink:

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    yep, I have more than one and less than ten guns from pals that needed some short term dough that have turned into long term. You hit the nail on the head, I am 53 and apart from my two brothers I can count on a hand my true friends.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If it has a bent barrel somebody could have shot it until the barrel got to hot trying to be rambo.Id check my base,and make sure the crosshairs are straight,if when you look through the scope and the crosshairs are turned a little bit left or right that could mess things up as well.

15. Hoolygalulith

Hoolygalulith New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The only problem I had with my scoped mini 14 was the rough action would wear my scope out so i just started shooting open sights.