Benefits of “No roll sinkers”?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatHunterSteve, Jul 11, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I was wondering what the benefits of using “No roll sinkers” vs. egg sinkers or bank sinkers? When buying “No roll sinkers are you looking for something that will stay put in current, of stay put when using a larger live gill, what are you looking for in a “No roll sinker”? Considering all of this, what size or weight would you buy if you would choose if you could only get two sizes?

2. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

No Roll is designed for use in areas where heavy currents
    would roll sliding egg type sinkers.
    The flat, low profile shape does
    not drift with the currunt so the sinker stays in place.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    what he said looking for something that stays put. im glad i dont have to pick 2 sizes i make my own from 3-8oz and will use whatever size i need at the time if 2s & 4s are working for you than 2&4 would probally work.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    4's for my river and 8's for the gun fites. :wink:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I fish a no-current lake but I use no-rolls if I have them. They work good if you wanna place a bait on the slope of a steep channel. A egg sinker will roll down to the channel bottom, a no-roll will keep it in place ; )

Down side is that I tend to snag up more than a egg sinker would.

-Jim-

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've found that when fishing from the bank the no rolls work great. But when fishing from a boat in current the bank sinkers work much better. A flat no roll sinker will tend to want to plane with the current. And want to lift off the bottom. The bank sinkers go straight to the bottom. In short If your using a piece of bait that requires a 5 ounce no roll to hold it down, A 3 ounce bank will do the job. I have tons of both types. But I've swithed to using a heavy braided line. Now I shy away from putting my sinkers on the mainline, because it's so hard to break when you get snagged. And 9 times out of 10 the sinker is what gets hung up. so I switched to using sinker slides and am forced to tie the sinker to the slide because the snap swivels are'nt big enough. I've found an alternative though. I'm switching to pyramids. I've never liked using them because I never liked running my line through a metal eye. But they're perfect for use with a snap slide. I've found they hold much better than a no roll or a bank sinker too. They go straight down and when the current tries to pull your bait the flat top part of the sinker digs in and stays put. So in short, If your using a piece of bait that requires 8 ounces of no roll, a 6 bank or a 5 pyramid will do the same thing.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    P, I completely agree. I can't put it in words that well or yell those words loud enough for anyone to hear. Just between us though, I like the flat bank sinkers and the no snag type. They're the same shape as the no rolls but the line ties on different and they are both great at planing the bait back to you over snags just like a little water skier carrying your bait safely back to you over sticks and riprap.

I've used pyramids too but I dont' buy them much anymore because the price kinda skyrocketed on lead for a while and it doesn't seem to be coming down (at the bait shops). $1.50 for a 6oz sinker seems silly expensive to me.

I use a lot of eggs because they're easier to find. You gotta learn to just fish downstream sometimes and not wish you could stick your bait way out across too much current because sometimes that's impossible.

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    THEY FIT IN MY TACKLE BOX BETTER!! That is the main reason I like them. I use 1 and 3 ounces mainly. 1's for channel cat, canal, and calm water fishing, 3's for current and medium baits, 2 3's for killer current or large baits.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

My thoughts exactly.If I could only use 2 sizes they would be 2 oz and 5 oz.:wink: