Bending your own rod holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by tbull, Jun 23, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am going to have a buddy bend me up some steel to make some rod holders (can't afford new ones). My question is this, i know alot of guys have done this, does anyone know where I can find the rubber type coating you put around them? I would imagine its something that has to be heated up? Any help would be appreciated thanks all!

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The dip for tool handles or truck bed liner?

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Plasti Dip tool coating is used by a lot of people to do rod holders. It's a vinyl coating. You can get it at most home improvement stores, I think that Wally World sells it too. There's a dip can and a spray can. The dip can gets a thicker coating (for one coat) than the spray does, but you'd have to buy several cans and put them together in a bigger container to fit the rod holder in it.

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    do a google search for rubberized tool coating youll find a bunch of options. i know harbor freight sells it but it come in a small container that you wouldnt be able to get a rod holder in.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I used rubberized pipe wrap on mine. Also the foam pipe wrap will work.

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    You can get the rubber dip stuff in a spray can too. Just make sure whatever you spray is super clean or it wont stick good. If you could sand blast them first it would be good, it gives it a texture to adhere to.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Another option, go to an electrical supply house and see if you can buy some rubber splicing tape. Its rubbery and a lot thicker than normal electrical tape. Might be kinda expensive, but most of them come in 60-120 foot rolls, so you could do quite a few rod holders with one roll. We use some rubber tape at work that would be good for such a project.

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Nothing a little teflon tape couldnt fix :wink:

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I will have to try that my self.

10. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    if u can get it on maybe shrink tubing for electricl
    the kind you put over a wire and hit with heat and it shrinks tight, that stuff is cheap and pretty durable, depends on your angles and if you could slide a piece on there, just a thought

11. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    You will want to dip it for the best look. Take a peak at how Steve does his at MonsterRodHolders.com

He is a sponsor on the BOC and is also located in the sponsor section for some quick pictures.

12. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    In the end, it would probably be cheaper, "Time Wise" to get them from Steve, as he has done all the grunt work on development. With the "Catfish Syndicate" discount code, they are even more affordable.

13. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    now we have secret codes!! dang it - will it work at wal mart too!!:cool2::smile2:

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The double action Monster rod holders are the best on the market.

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    PM PHLIPS4BIGKATS he made some very nice units for his boat he might be able to point you in the right direction.