bending straight shank hook eyes

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Quint, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    What is your opinions on bending straight shank hook eyes back for tieing snell knots?

2. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not an expert on metal and what happens to the integrity of it when bent, but for me that's not something I want to do. If anyone has to have a bent eye for a snelled hook, I think there are good hooks out there that will work. For me, I get better hook ups snelling a straight eyed hook. That method does put an inside curve to the line-hook connection (the hook and line are not in a straight line), but that's also what causes the better hook-up ratio. It may look a little funky, but I am more results orientated than "it has to look pretty". Of course, even if there is no eye on the hook at all (spade end hooks for example) you can still snell them. Some have even developed a unique snell knot just for that purpose. I have not tried this knot on any fish as yet, so I can't speak for how it works, but if anyone is interested a “you tube video” can be found at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYmAgmoGQ8s

If you want to see the same knot with just still pictures, it is here.

http://www.dorkingas.co.uk/Knots/Spade%20End%20Knot/spade_end_knot.htm

I know, many of you don’t own spade end hooks, but the same knot will also work for big circles, kahles, and j-hooks. I know that all of you can get by without this information, but I’m a firm believer in gaining as much knowledge as possible. I don’t use this knot all the time, but when I do, I want to know how to do it.

Ralph

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You always weaken the metal when you bend it but there is very little if any stress on the upturned eye of a snelled hook.

You can snell a straight eyed hook and not put the line through the eye and get almost the same geometry as passing it through a turned up eye.

Often, all the eye really does is stop the snell sliding off the shank. The snells I tie grip the hook shank so tightly that many times they don't slide hard up against the eye at all so it wouldnt matter if there was an eye there or not in those cases...W

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Chris good question ,an thanks for the info guys

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Depending on the metal, they will break, I've done it before. I purposely buy straight shank hooks for snelling...it puts that trigger on it ; )

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    That's what I always figured but could never get anyone to believe me. I reckon that the upturned eye on a hook, especially a circle, is so that you don't have to tie a snell but can tie directly to the eye but most guys tie a snell and then put the line through the upturned eye which gives the same direction of pull as a straight eyed hook tied directly on the eye
    I don't normally use the snell knot on a single hook rig as the Gama's I use have upturned eyes. The snells I mentioned above are on the top hook of a two hook rig.
    I know that's kinda hard to follow but it makes sense to me:eek:oooh:
    ...W

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i just snell them as if they were an up turned eye works great.

8. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Thanks for the responses! One of my fishing partners has been bending the eye back with out any hook failure. We run 80lb mono leader, and the straight shank snell does not allow the hook to lay flat, my conceren with this is a spining bait and or the bait slideing up the hook and hooking back into the bait? The Daiichi circle chunk light is the hook in conceren. My fishing partner was in the tackel shop when the Daiichi rep came in. He asked the rep why they did not offer the hook with the turned eye, the reps response was that the hook would only operate correctly with the polmar knot. That the snell would not allow the hook to rotate correctly for a good hook set. A bunch of BS if you ask me? I have ran the hook with the polmar knot to find it in the eye gap after landing fish, do not like that at all. I have not tried the spade knot nor the snell with out running it through the hook eye are these knots as strong as the traditional snell? Thanks again! C rod C

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I don't understand what the rep is telling you but a snell is pretty much the best knot there is....then again some swear by the palomar knot....And possibly different hook styles will effect it to.

Here is a pic of one of my rigs. Its a Eagle Claw 7/0 circle hook snelled on a straight shank hook. The way the line runs back through the eye on the straight shank style is one of its best qualities. When pressure is put on the line, the line straightens out hook and puts a harder set on the fish.

They wont lay flat nor are they suppose to ; )

For me, a bait spinning is caused from where I hook the fish. The best trick is to cut off the tail or hook through the eyes ; ) this stops the helicopter effect you get. In all reality, if my bait did spin back on me its from laying in the water for awhile and then it happens on the retrieve. It may be hooked back through when I bring it up but it wasn't laying in the water that way,,,only happened while checkin the baits.

My catch rate is way up there and I've been at it for years using this style. Hopefully you too will find what you are looking for...g'luck.

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have tied the snell on the straight shank but have never ran any due to the lay of the hook, I will run some and see what happens. My hook up ratio has not been a problem just love the Daiichi hook and the snell knot. And have been a little weary on bending the eye back even though I have not seen any hook failure from doing so. Thanks again!

11. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I can see where the Daiichi rep was coming from. A smaller knot at the very end of the hook might provide a little more freedom of movement, allowing the hook to pivot as it was designed to do. I would imagine the difference is minimal though, and would probably still opt for the more secure snell, straight eye or otherwise.

12. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jim:

Your picture is worth a thousand words. It works for me also. Snelled in the manner you describe, the line coming thru the eye of a straight-eyed hook puts a curve in the line to hook connection, and that curve is the "trigger" that causes a greater hook-up ratio. Well photographed and well explained. But the best part of all (as you have already proven) it that it really does work.

Ralph