Below Truman Dam Question

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by POLECAT, Jun 23, 2007.

1. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Being new to the fishing experience below Truman Dam I have a few questions that I need to ask . Why is it that there are so many big catfish in the area below the dam ? Also, are these fish always in a state of migrating up stream out of the lake below ? Does the turbines in the dam produce alot of chopped bait that these fish are attracted to ? In other words , what makes the fishing so good in the tailrace ? Can some of you experienced guys please educate me a little on what the driving force is for such wonderful fishing ? Paul

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You pretty well guessed it all Paul. They will spawn in there starting some time in June and will eventually go back down river. Cut bait works so well because of the turbines.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Also remember that fish love current. The faster the current the more oxygen in the water. Ever put fish in a tub and watch what they do when you run water? Their nose automatically points upstream. There are two reasons for this. 1st the oxgenated water gets through their gills properly when facing into the current. The second reason is that they can smell all the goodies coming to them. It is impossible for them to smell something downstream of them. It is just like deer only the water is to fish what the wind is to the deer.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I might add that these fish are vonerable after spawning. It really takes it out of them. I see a awful lot of guys keeping these big fish. Please think about CPR on these guys so we can all continue to have this kind of fishing in the future.:0a24:

Good luck out there....:0a23:

5. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    I have thought about the preservation of this fish and the enjoyment catching them brings and I do believe in catch and release. I have yet to experience catching one of the big ones but that chance may come next tuesday nite. I was up there last wednesday and witnessed a fish caught that probably went 30+ lbs. and it was not released and that is what triggered me to question the life span, growth rate and why so many big fish are in that area. I think my trips to Truman will never be complete without a camera in the tackle box. Paul