Below Truman Dam on night of 8 July

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Taliesin, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now that I am finally at my computer at home where I can get the pic up, I'll post about my night of fishing last Saturday night (12 hour shifts this week prevented me before).

I got there at about 5 pm. Had a little problem getting shad for a little bit, but by 5:30 I had two catting pole out with two other poles ready. Ultralight for bait and medium for hybrids.

I wasn't quite up at the fence, but the fellow that was up there was going exclusively for cats and wasn't worried about the hybrids. When the hybrids started hitting above the fence I asked him if I could go under his lines and cast from there. He was gracious enough to allow me to do this. After a few casts I managed to catch a 7# hybrid (the one in my new avatar).

I didn't get too many bites... well... a couple of nibbles... barely up until close to dark. At that time the fellow at the fence left I moved up.

Shad weren't hard to get that night, so I used live shad for some time. Managed to catch a couple of gar, but no cats. As the night went on, too many gar caused me to go to cut shad, hoping the gar wouldn't hit it quite as readily. No luck there, though a 7# drum joined in.

I finally left at 9 Sunday morning without catching a cat at all. 7# hybrid, 7# drum, and about half a dozen gar. I should have paid closer attention to the gar though. A foot and a half spotted gar ain't nothing to sneeze at, but I was under the impression they were all longnosed gar until I took a closer look.

I'll be out there again tomorrow night. We'll see if it gets better.

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    To me sounds like you had a good night of fishing, and that you enjoyed yourself. Wish you better luck on the cats the next time out.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like a good night of pulling and tugging anticapation will keep you there even if the cats are not biting.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Any night of fishing is a good night of fishing. This was a great night of fishing.

Now a 20+# cat would have added up to a GREAT night of fishing.

5. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    What kind of bait were you using for the Hybrids?

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had a red/white Zara Spook.