Below the Saylorville Dam

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by construction0226, Apr 8, 2008.

1. construction0226

construction0226 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Me my brother and a friend went fishing last Saturday below the dam and had some luck catching some channel kitties on worm. We tried stink bait but didn't have any luck with that yet. We did have a few bites on chicken liver. We also tried chubs and didn't have any luck. Just wondering if anyone else has had much luck below the dam and with what bait? Oh I must add it was awsome to finally get out and do some catfishing!:roll_eyes:

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Congrats on the catch! Were you right by the spillway or were you down river a bit?

3. deadweight_sinkersho

deadweight_sinkersho New Member

State:
    Iowa
    was out with the kid and nailed a couple cats off grand ave bridge, we were runnin shad, but another friend was gettin hell on 6th ave bridge, hope that helps, my penns were breathing a sigh of relief as the hit water..good luck :wink:

4. construction0226

State:
    Iowa
    We were down the river a little, probably about half way between the boat ramp by the soccer fields and the dam.

5. construction0226

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Eddie nice to meet you! Just wondering do you fish the bridges downtown mostly?

6. construction0226

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Steve nice to meet you also! Do you fish below the dam alot?

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I don't think the cats are quite ready to be hitting chubs yet. They're looking for easier catches so they can get their metabolism back up as the water warms (probably why they were hitting the worms and the shad). USGS says the water temperature below 50, but I think once it starts getting above 55 some more active baits might start working. Thats how it happened last year anyway.

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    NICE TO MEET YOU AS WELL. MYSELF AND EDDIE FISH THE DOWNTOWN BRIDGES MOST OF THE TIME.. I HAVE FISHED THAT DAM ALOT AND AGREE WITH AQUABIMASTER, THE WATER IS STILL PRETTY COLD. I WOULD USE CUT SHAD AROUND THIS TIME OF YEAR AT THE DAMS.. I USUALLY WOULD TARGET THE ROCKY AREAS ON THE SUNNY WARMER DAYS, THE ROCKS WILL WARM UP FROM THE SUN AND WILL ATTRACT BAITFISH (SHAD), AND THE CHANNEL CATS WONT BE FAR BEHIND.

9. vtjefferson

vtjefferson New Member

State:
    IA
    thanks for the info ivd learned more from this web site than any of the infisherman catfishing videos i got

10. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    YA THOSE INFISHERMAN GUYS NEVER TELL YOU THE GOOD STUFF LOL!! SUM GOOD VIDEOS THOUGH!

11. construction0226

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah thanks guys for the info. If you guys are ever looking for someone to go fishing with let me know I live in Urbandale. Thanks again!

12. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a good trip, good to hear you done good

13. construction0226

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Matthew, It was alot of fun to finally get out and do some catfishin. I can't wait for the temperature to get better. Looks like their talkin a bunch of rain here for then the next few days. I guess it's alot better than all the white stufffffffff.

14. construction0226

State:
    Iowa
    Steve I got your message but couldn't reply cause I guess you have to have ten posts before you can reply. But definately sounds great. Thanks.

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    SOUNDS GOOD! LETS GET EM!!

16. deadweight_sinkersho

deadweight_sinkersho New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey i hit mostly grand ave and sometimes scott street but here lately im gettin a lotta funk on my line at grand so weve been hittin scott street fairly hard and gettin some 3-5 pound channels