Below the Dam and under the surface ?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by POLECAT, Apr 18, 2008.

1. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Can anyone describe what the bottom may have looked like when they were building the new dam and getting ready to re-route the water. I know its very large boulders but how far down stream did they put them? Were they placed all the way to the bouys or do they mainly follow the west side down ? I see the current seems to move from the west side to the east side just below the bouys is there a good hole of water just outside the mouth of the old channel where the current is forced across to the other side ? Wednesday I notice some pretty hefty logs coming down from the tailrace and alot of other sizeable debris , obviously that is coming from the dam but how does it get thru ? When you guys are fishing from your boat at nite how do you stay alert to any floating debris large enough to damage your boat or even worse capsize you ? Paul

2. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Good question, how do they?

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    It's something you need to be prepared for especially if you anchor right up to the bouys in the fast current. Keep someone in the bow that knows what to do in case the worse should happen. Normally the really big logs wont make it thru the spillways but it doesnt take a really big tree to pull you down when there running that kind of current. BETTER TO BE SAFE!

Anchor to the bow only and never put a anchor out of the transom. If your getting a lot of swing at the back of the boat place a couple drift buckets out the back or drift sock insted if needed.

We use a quick cleat (Pic1) at the center of the bow to secure the anchor rope. Only place it thru 2 wraps, that way if you need the anchor rope to release quickly all you have to do is pull up on the anchor rope and your anchor will be free. You would only have a matter of seconds to release your anchor if the worst happened and a tree happened to be in your anchor rope pulling your boat down. Allways keep a sharp in the bow just in case.

Also you will need a anchor retrieval system to get your anchor back in case you should ever have to abandon it. The AnchorLift is the most popular and best weve found. (Pic 2)
    Dont rely on tying a jug or whatever to your anchor rope as in that kind of current it will go under and you will never see it again.

Kinda scary in that fast water to anchor fish at night at first but thats where the big blues will be. At Night :wink:

Attached Files:

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    GOOD Post by Spoonfish!

I'll say it again in BOLD!

NEVER tie an anchor to the transom in fast current!!!!!

Not even as a second anchor because if the bow anchor breaks free the boat will swing to and your boat will sink in seconds! Yes.....SECONDS!!!

5. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Thats good info Troy but about the best I'm gonna do in my little 14 ft'r is anchor near the mouth of the old channel and cast out. Sounds to me like unless you have the right rig a person better leave the current below the buoys at nite to you guys who really know what your doing.
    I kind of thought you might be one who has insight to the bottom structure especially if you know any old timers around Warsaw who might have been around during the construction era ? Paul

6. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I always run my anchor line up through the "eye" to a cleat on the side and tie it off. That way a sharp knife in the bow has a few feet of rope to choose from when cutting. Thank goodness I have never had to cut loose under extream conditions, but my father always taught me to respect the river. That includes always trying to anticipate bad situations.

Jim

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You need a pretty good boat to anchor up there Paul. Your better off tieing up behind the island and casting out to the middle. The rocks end on the east side just above the island and go clear to the point on the west side. It pretty rock free in the middle of the channel, thats why the bank fishermen use long rods to cast way out to the middle to avoid the rip rap. Im sure theres some pics before they filled it up. You might try up at the visitor center to see if they have some, I know they have pics. there of the dam being constructed.

8. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was there last spring by my self one night ancored down below the bouys, I can't remember what kind of water they were dumping but it was plenty.I was catching fish but nothing big. Around 2:00 am. I decided to lay down and take a little nap. When I layed down and could hear that water going by I Quickly decided my Twenty footer wasn't enough for me. I pulled anchor and moved to calmer water. I never saw any big debris while i was in the main channel,but It was still no place to be sleeping by your self. (I never told my wife this)
    :embarassed:

9. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Maybe I'm just crazy but I have anchored my 14 jon up at the buoys in the swift water. Didn't have any problems, ancored off the front of the boat and pulled the prop out of the water to help reduce drag on the anchor. I always keep an eye out for debris coming down, seems like there's always something out there even when their not running water. Only debris I hit Wednesday night was 2 big spoonbills, guessing thats what they were. Coming upstream from below the 65 bridge and all the sudden, THUD and the prop is out of the water. Got going again and only a few minutes later same thing. Soft hit not like a log and had a nice bent prop to show for it. Just be careful out there! Chris

10. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Back in my younger years I worked the river boats on the Mississippi and I know what the current can do but being out there in a 14 ft'r is a little different story especially at nite. Troy I think your exactly right about staying abreast or a little behind the island and casting out ( at nite ) .
    What you said about checking the visitors center for photo's makes sense and I'll plan on stopping up there first chance I get. One of my old buddies up in north Mo. that I grew up with had an old grandfather that helped build L.O.Z. Dam and boy did he have some stories to tell. Ofcourse how much was truth and b.s. who knows, you know how old men can be with youngsters.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interesting info. I would never have considered these possibilities. Thanks for the info and I know it will change the way I anchor up in fast water.