Below the arch ...?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Rollinunknown, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok guys i put in at Columbia bottoms 3-4 times a week.

My boat has 12gal tank on a 35hp jet.... its not the best on fuel by any means... i can run 12gal's out going from Columbia bottoms ramp to the dam in Alton 2 times.

Were can i put in below the chain of rocks?Ive never ran my boat threw the locks and im worried about it ...

I know there is some damn good fishin down on the river front area but i dont know whats the best route to get there.:roll_eyes:

I head someone say theres a spot were u can launch off the river front but i didn't wanna take a chance unless someone els has done it ..

Also ... im kinda freaked out about the google maps .... i mean it looks like barge city down there by the arch... maybe ill hang below the chain of rocks?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Rob there is a boat ramp below the Arch under the bridge I whould not run thru chain of rocks right now don't think i ever will

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just get another 12 gal tank. I have 2 twelves in my boat and I can run through the first one pretty easy. It is nice knowing you have a back-up tank to rely on instead of worrying about running out.

I have never launched at the cobblestones either as I don't want to have to shoot my way out, LOL!!!!!:roll_eyes:

4. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    lol i just went and got a 6gal as a backup ..

So a 12gal 6gal and a 2gal backup for the backup ... lol i should be ok..So 20gal's i should be able to lock threw and be fine and come back home ?

Im just worried about all the weight being in the back up my boat...

When u guys gonna be out again ?

I think im gonna try to mount the 6gal up front somewere i dont want my boat sittin in the water so low.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm done for a while......new trailer tires and a spare yesterday, got home last night and heard a noise, water heater ruptured and spewed water all over the basement, buying a new one today.

PLUS.......the fishing SUCKS right now!!!!:roll_eyes:

6. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    ehhh

I hear that but im not given up i hear in October they run like crazy..

7. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri

I wouldn't run threw the chain of rocks ... im worried about locking threw being around barges ect...

Wish i could follow someone threw sometime just to get the feel and the steps.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    No, what you hear is me rushing by in an attempt to stock the cave up for the winter. I hear it's getting down into the 40's this weekend!!!!!!!:wink:

9. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Theres a ramp about 2 or 3 blocks south of the arch, under the railroad bridge. The open gate says for "emergency lauch only" but every one uses it. I have launched there many a times and I feel safe. I may be going out sunday. give me a call, patrick 618-250-1422

10. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri

HEll yeah what time you going ... im down i got the boat ready.

11. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri

We should be ok http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/63138?dayNum=1

Looks like its gonna be a little cool but 60 is ok aslong as the wind dont pickup .. they are saying 8mph.

Im gonna grab some Bighead in the morning and after that we should be ready.

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    You mentioned something about being apprehensive around barges....Down town is NOT the place you're gonna want to be if that's the case...lots and lots of barges running around ALL the time. Not sure how big your boat is, but them wakes can get down right big and nasty...big sure to wear you PFD and keep your eyes peeled, those big boys can sneak up on ya in a hurry...

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Last time I was down there I passed up 2 fully loaded barges heading up river and there was no lie about a 6foot wake coming off the back of the boats. It was freakin scary as all hell. I was heading south and was literally going airborn over those waves. Don't know what kind of boat you've got, but in my deep V I was scared couldn't imagine if I was in a flat bottom boat that sat closer to the water.

14. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah i have a flat/simi v if they start to come ill get close to the bank ?

My boat has decent sides for sure i think as long as i face the wake i should be ok ?

What do u guys do while passing them.. or when they are coming up river.

My boat is a 17ft roughneck allweld 35hp jet.

Ill be with Patrick i think hes got a John also ?18ft?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Passing them down river isn't to bad...up river is another story. I have a semi -V 20' SeaArk and have had the wakes come over the front of my boat before while trying to pass going up river...the wakes can easily get as big as 8'+ if you have a couple going up river at once, which isn't unusual.

The bank, down there "in" the city, there isn't much of a bank due to all the barges that are tied off to the bank.

Just giving you some valuable information, not much room for a mistake down town....if you loose power in the main channel and have no other source of power to get you out of there, it could be a very bad thing.

16. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    well shit....

my luck ... ill suck up a bag passing a barge and die....

I think im might hang out on the Missouri again ... man i wanna se whats goin on down there tho i hear theres some damn good spots.

My boat has never let me down but dont wanna risk it .

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Don't freak out about it, just use some common sense and be careful. A gazillion people fish that area and do just fine.:wink: Take a daylight trip to get to know the area.

If you have a trolling motor make sure it is operational. Give the barges plenty of room and keep an eye out for whats moving upstream and down. It ain't NASCAR down there......things are moving pretty slow. Give yourself time to move out of an area if you don't like what's coming.

Have fun and catch some fish. Wear your lifejacket too. :)

18. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah i have dual batterys and a trolling motor 55lb thrust and plenty of fuel .. xtra spark plugs 2 boat plugs tons of lights about 7 life jackets and 3 throw cushions and 2 flare packs 2 bumpers .. heh (im a new boat and i stay way clear of barges)...

Right now shes got about 20gals of fuel so i should be ok ... im just a tad worried about the barges but what the hell ill give it a shot during the day worst case i come back to the boat ramp.

I got just about everything i think...

My boat fires soon as i touch the key .. and runs great till it sucks up a bag or something .. even then it still moves but it moves slower.

19. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Rob a barge wake is a barge wake if you fish Alton to confluence you will be just fine

20. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri

Yeah im up there all the time...

I just thought down by the arch is was a crazy mad house of barges..

Its all good im gonna give it a shot and shoot for the best .. Ill have the good baits and scout around for some spots and go from there...

I just wanna say thankx to everyone for leting me in on some info and stuff ..
    After me near death drag racing crash ive chilled out a ton and dont like to risk my life any more :smile2:.

and i for got to add i have 2 750 gph bilge pumps :wink: lmao!:0a17::0a20: