Below Old Hickory Dam?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by petersoutcats, Apr 13, 2007.

1. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Has any one fished below old hickory dam latley?
    I was wondering if skipps, rockfish, or cats were stacking up in there yet.

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I put a post out last week wondering the same thing. Not one replied. I haven't been down there for about a week. The skips were in there a time or two but not hittin heavy yet. A couple more weeks and they'll be there for the summer. I only live about two mins away, so there is times when I go a couple times a day to see if they are hitting or not.

3. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    not sure about old hickory dam but I've been hitting the rock fish at the steamplant in Cumberland city. I'll be going back out there Tuesday morning at 4am I'll be down there if anyone wants to join.
    they run best between 4am and daylight there . i hit them on big 6 inch sassy shad swim baits

4. roofer1

roofer1 New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    ive bee to the dam recently but not to fish just seeing if fisherman were there and seeing what may have been runnin right there by the step area. didntsee much. did see some big scales that couldve been skipjack scales. if they're at cheatum they're probably at old hickory by now too. i will let ya know if i hear/see anything else up there. no fisherman either btw, if the fish were there i'd expect people to be fishing pretty steady.

5. buckie02

buckie02 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I work at Old Hickory and have seen a few being caught, but not many in my books. I see some getting shad with cast nets and shad scoops, but not like I have seen at Barkley and Smihland in the past. I am new to the area and would like to Know where to fish on Old Hickory. I live in Hendersonville near Walton Ferry Boat ramp.

6. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd love to know where to fish old hickory too. As far as I am concerned old hickory lake sucks bad. I have never caught anything outa there worth fishing for, And I have fished it quite a bit.

7. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I fished below AND above the Old Hickory dam back in January and didnt have ANY luck at all. Caught a few skipjacks above the dam but thats about it. Whos to say things havnt changed since the weather has warmed up though. I'm willing to give it another try.

8. fielding2001

fielding2001 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i went to old hickory damn on may 6 and caught about 80 skip jack below the damn using 1/8 crappie jigs the hairy ones or the ones some call feather tails took about 1.30 to 2.00 hours wasnt bad but did take a few minutes to find them tried to go cafishing after ward but coundlt get my lines to hit the bottom and i was using 8 oz sinkers will have to wait a few days may go on the 9th of may wenday

9. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I live on the cumberland about a half mile down from the dam. I have pulled out around 15 or so cats this month between 3 sessions. Up by the tailrace boat ramp ive caught a few striper in the 15 in range and a couple largemouth both above and below the dam.
    Skipjack,bream are hitting great.

10. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    Channels or blues and I was wondering what size. I know there are a lot of good eaters down in that area.

11. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    It seems not too many people here fish Cordell Hull, but it's the same river, just a different dam. I've had no luck at the dam the few times I've fished it so far, and my guess is the cats aren't below the dams right now, at least not many. A few days ago I was watching a couple guys that looked like tournament anglers come right up to the dam with those triple doll fly rigs and catch a bucket full of skips. Instead of rigging up for cats at the dam, they immediately flew as far as the eye could see down river and out of sight. My guess is maybe the cats are up tributary streams that are below the dams this time of year?

12. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    I myself have fished that area of the river but have had no luck. And the GAR, well lets just say I have never had more problems with gar on any section of water in my life . Every time I go they shred my bait within seconds and I move and again and repeated over and over till I go home. I have fished the dam down about ten miles and just never done well. But who knows I have had a lot of people tell me there are some big fish around there. I have been to the dam probably 250 to 300 times easily in the last 8 years and have never seen a cat come out over 8 or 9 pounds and only a few at that.

13. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    When you said you've fished the dam and down 10 miles, were you talking Cordell or Old Hickory? I never caught any gar at C H yet, and haven't seen any sign of them. I've been fishing there mainly for sauger the last few times and have been using large live shad and no gar. I've also done some jigging with cut shad and still no gar. Maybe it was just the time of year. Next time I'm out there, I'm going to rig up some skip jack chunks on noodles and try down river a ways. I'm probably going to give priest a try soon too.

14. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been talking about old hickory. I only live about 3 mins. from the dam so i go down there a lot. It is a great place to get bait. I will probably try it again sometime this year just got fed up.

15. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info everybody!
    Love the BOC

I went fishing below Old Hickory a couple weeks ago - no fish to speak of
    The water was real low, Big Rock by the Dam sticking out the water part way (Ouch):eek:oooh:.
    I usually launch at Cleeces Ferry and fish up to Ashland City
    Hoping to try the Cumberland this weekend to see what's Bitting and how low the water is.
    Might be REAL GOOD because of low water

By the Way
    "Welcome to the BOC" Buckie02