Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never fished their before, but was thinking of fishin it this spring and maybe once or twice this summer. would like to try the striper and some cats. any one have any tips on best time for the striper below the loudon dam. and the best time for catching the big blue cats their. thanks in advance for any info. waterdog

· Registered
106 Posts
Waterdog, I've never fished below Loudon dam, but I have Wattsbar and Chickamauga. If it's like those two in the summer you have to fish early to get stripers, and they need to be pulling water. Call the TVA water discharge line and see if they are going to be pulling any water, how much, and at what time. Any kind of fish bites better when they are running the generators.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Waterdog, I've never fished below Loudon dam, but I have Wattsbar and Chickamauga. If it's like those two in the summer you have to fish early to get stripers, and they need to be pulling water. Call the TVA water discharge line and see if they are going to be pulling any water, how much, and at what time. Any kind of fish bites better when they are running the generators.
thanks, for the info. hope you get the one you dream about,on your next trip.

· Registered
20 Posts
stripers are moving in on mh dam caught a bunch this weekend on redfins casting the bank. if you are going to fish loudon dam there are alot of cats in the dispersing water in line with the giant propeller. get in the boils for striper and fish the right hand side between the lock and the gennies but beware of shallow rocks. hope it helps if you can fish during the week let me know would be glad to help.

· Registered
37 Posts
I've never fished their before, but was thinking of fishin it this spring and maybe once or twice this summer. would like to try the striper and some cats. any one have any tips on best time for the striper below the loudon dam. and the best time for catching the big blue cats their. thanks in advance for any info. waterdog

i just got back from loudon dam this weekend, fish it this past saturday from the rocks, water don't turn on until 11:00am but when its on you better be ready cuase there are some monsters stripers in there, caught about 10+ striper within an hour, 2 of them were pushing about 25-30 pounds. the rest was about 10lbs or so. this was my first time fishing there, might come back this weekend if its all good.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
If you're fishing from the bank, get as close to the dam as possible. Try to get above the hazardous waters sign. It's quite a hike. But travel light, it's worth the effort. You won't get hung nearly as bad that far up. Anywhere below there are so many rocks, snags, and tangled fishing line it's not really worth the effort unless you like retying every cast. You'll need at least 30 lb test.

I usually fish Melton Hill Dam, which is only 10 minutes away and much easier accessed.

· Registered
37 Posts
If you're fishing from the bank, get as close to the dam as possible. Try to get above the hazardous waters sign. It's quite a hike. But travel light, it's worth the effort. You won't get hung nearly as bad that far up. Anywhere below there are so many rocks, snags, and tangled fishing line it's not really worth the effort unless you like retying every cast. You'll need at least 30 lb test.

I usually fish Melton Hill Dam, which is only 10 minutes away and much easier accessed.
i was rite there by the fence line casting it to the middle of the dam, i must of lost a dozen or so of lures and swim bait. i will try that next time and that hike is no joke also. i try mh dam after i left loudon but no luck seen 2 boats out by the dam catching striper left to right with shad, i didn't have any live bait so i left at about 4:30pm.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
i was rite there by the fence line casting it to the middle of the dam, i must of lost a dozen or so of lures and swim bait. i will try that next time and that hike is no joke also. i try mh dam after i left loudon but no luck seen 2 boats out by the dam catching striper left to right with shad, i didn't have any live bait so i left at about 4:30pm.
Hey Ricky, was MH Dam running water while you were there? It's been a while since I was at either dam but might try it this week. Did you fish MH from the sidewalk? Last few times I was at MH there were no shad to be found.

· Registered
37 Posts
Hey Ricky, was MH Dam running water while you were there? It's been a while since I was at either dam but might try it this week. Did you fish MH from the sidewalk? Last few times I was at MH there were no shad to be found.

THE WATER WAS RUNNING AT MH DAM, AND YES I WAS FISHING FROM THE SIDEWALK. AT THE END BY THE WALL I SEEN A COUPLES OF SHAD RUNNING BUT , DIDN'T SEE NO SCHOOL OR ANYTHING, BUT LIKE I SAID THE TWO BOAT THAT WAS THERE WAS CATCHING THEM WITH SHAD, CASTING IT INTO THE BOIL DRIFTING. ONE OF THE GUY CAUGHT A 22LB I HEARD HIM TELL THE OTHER GUY ON THE OTHER BOAT. IT IS A QUITE OF A DRIVE FOR ME (4 HRS) BUT IF I LIVED CLOSER MAN IT WOULD BE REALLY FUN.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
I've seen times down there when the bank fishermen from the sidewalk were able to outfish the boat fishermen big time using bucktail jigs or Wildeye Shad swimbaits. It's only a half hour drive to MH Dam for me, but my schedule makes me have to leave about 2:30 pm and that's usually about the time they turn the dam on. Some big cats are in there, too.

· Registered
37 Posts
I've seen times down there when the bank fishermen from the sidewalk were able to outfish the boat fishermen big time using bucktail jigs or Wildeye Shad swimbaits. It's only a half hour drive to MH Dam for me, but my schedule makes me have to leave about 2:30 pm and that's usually about the time they turn the dam on. Some big cats are in there, too.
let me know how u do when u go down there, i am going to try to come back there during july 4th weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.