Below Lake Wylie Dam

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by tatersalad, Jul 11, 2006.

1. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I had a nice evening below the dam, Saturday night (& Sunday morning). I got there about 2pm, and fished for bait (gills). They were running water all evening, 3pm, 7pm, 10pm, and 12am, for about an hour a shot. Best bites seemed to happen after they shut off the turbines, but while the water was still up. Lots of bits all evening, but no hookups 'til late (gar maybe).

brandonmoskva is down here from Ohio, and met me down by the dam. We had previously fished off of Big Allison. He had a big take on a bullhead, but lost the hook. Then late in the evening caught a nice 2+ pounder. After he left at around 12:30am, I finally had a rod load all the way up! Proceeded to party with about a 3 1/2 pound channel, the river fish sure are strong # for #, compared to the lake fish! That was a lot of fun!

It was a beautiful evening, with the temperature dropping nicely as the night went on. Got to be down right comfortable for my well-insulated :)roll_eyes:) body! Little bit of mist on the water, air smelled sweet and fresh. It was a great evening on the water.

2. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Pete, was gills the only bait you were using?

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No wonder you didn't show up at the boat ramp at 5:30am!!!!!!!!

LOL!!! :big_smile:

Sounds fun. I have never fished below the dam. I understand there are some striped bass in there too at certain times of the year.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's pretty cool Pete. I'm glad yall had a good time. I've never been down there but I'm gonna check it out one of these days.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    All I used was cut 'gills, brandon tried a small bullhead (which got taken).

WylieCat, Yeah I didn't get your email til yesterday, don't always check it much on the weekend. Looks like some bad weather coming this week, hope we can still get out.

Anybody who wants to meet up down below the dam sometime let me know!

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    we saw small schools of shad up along the rocks but didn't have a cast net. That is definitely on my list of things to get!