Below Lake Lewsville dam

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by TX Fisherman, May 12, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    is it good fishing below the lake lewisville dam?? never been down there but it sounds like a good place!

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive caught lots of nice blues and channels down there seen some 30s and 40 pounders pulled out pretty hot right now

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
  4. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    just how do you get to the spillway at lake lewisville

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    from 35E exit Main Street head east on Main Street
    take a left onto Mill Street
    after you go under some rail road tracks the next street should be Jone Street
    take a right onto Jones Street go all the way down tell the road makes a turn to the right should see the front gate to the LLELA park at the turn
    only open friday-sunday 7am to 7pm
    3 bucks a person

i do my best on fridays 7am to 9am dont be a idiot and wade across the main gate to fish between the two gates like alot do once the water comes on in the main gate your SOL and only choice is to jump in and hope for the best i seen a guy useing a castnet to catch anything and everything got his kids to wade out there with him and stand on the only slab of concret youngest was prob around 6 other prob 12 i dont see some kids that young being able to handle swimming in the strong current when they open the gates up guess he didnt care about his kids much less his own life.

i went last week didnt catch any cats but the water wasnt running prob the reason why we didnt there was alot of gar in back towards the big pipe feeding i ended up takeing what we call football floats (just a weighted float bout 3 inches long and 2 wide) had about 4 feet leader below with tow small trebel hooks about 2 inches apart put a dead shad on hooking the head first and the tail last casted in where the gars where and started poping the float got them to come to it then reel fast they would take the bait and hang onto it just feed them line tell for a min then set the hook had about a 15 pounder on while tryin to get him down to the rocks he spit the hook wish i had a rope rig with me. caught a decent rainbow trout on cutbait??? was kind of weird but they release them below the dam there for some reason
    http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h28/catfishingtexas/aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

one tip you might try down there is to take a small float and a small crappie hook with a small split shot or two fish no more that 4 feet deep with small chunk of liver just let the float move with the current usely can tear up the channel cats that way if its a slow day.
    if there letting water out and no ones doing any good walk down river a little ways past the small island you will see a point with a tree on it on the other side of the river theres a scour hole just below the point not very big uselly if no ones fished it theres something in there ive seen some nice blues pulled just from that small hole then theres another place down river past the camp sites if you are standing on the bank by the camp sites look down river you will see a steep cut bank where the river makes a turn to to the south theres some nice deep holes along it that hold fish then below the rail road tracks theres some nice fishing where the small creek runs in if you can find it theres a walking trail that goes down to the rail road tracks shrimp does good down that ways good walk so pack light

6. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    thanks a bunch for the information. i'm going friday and hope its not a long steep walk to where you fish at. thanks again!

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    not a prob ask Virgina at the front gate where the fish are she uselly can tell you. best bet if there letting water out would be the belly (the part just outside of the gates all the way to the first island). as far as the steep walk only if you catch a good size fish to big to reel up the wall from where you can park and where you can fish its about 15 feet. if you want live shad try down on the rocks long as you cast about 5 feet out you shouldnt hang it up

8. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    thanks again for the help. hpe you catch some big cats too.

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    might be down there this friday

10. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    come on down. i went fishing at lewisville today. caught arounf 50 sand bass and 6 catfish. the biggest was 15 pounds.

11. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    didnt get to make it down to the spillway had to be at work early man i was so excited. then leaveing work i went to gas up the car and some young kid backed into me while i was already pulled up to the pump layed on my horn and of corse he had his stero up so loud he couldnt hear the horn or me yelling then he tried to drive off luckly for camera phones i got his licesen plate. so no more fishing for me for a while cuz i know there not going to want to give me a rental man life cant get no better

12. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    thats a bummer. well, did the police find the kids? hope they had insurance. therea always another day we can go fishing.

13. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the laws have the kids so scared they are running a lot more than they used to. i went to lavon, should have gone to lewisville. we only caught some small blues. good luck with the wrecked car. if you get the people make their insurance get you a rental or threaten to sue and they will get you one. i know it is bad to threaten to sue but nowdays it sometimes is necessary or you get the short end of the stick. remember he was wrong not you.
    good luck

14. Catfishmomma

Catfishmomma New Member

State:
    Irving, Texas
    Well went to the spillway Saturday and the water was running so hard that we couldn't fish there.:cry: So James at least I did try to fish. There wasn't very man people fishing, but alot of boy scouts over at the campsite.

Maybe next time.:0a14:

15. txcats

txcats New Member

State:
    Texas
    Does the spillway get really pack with people, or is there alot of room to fish?

16. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    theres been many days that i was fishing there by my self but i like to go early friday morn saturday and sundays theres uselly 5 or 6 people.

17. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
  18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey james, i sent you a pm...

19. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i wanna go there, what did u use for sand bass chuck7700

20. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    i used a deep diver lure (mud bug) and 3 croppie jigs above the mud bug spaced about 1 1/2 feet apart.