below freezing boating

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by daniel-delarosa, Dec 5, 2009.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    going fishing tonight, supposed to get down in the teens. Is there anything I need to do different than regular weather boating?

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Wear a coat and bib overalls:wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just be aware of the danger, and do everything correctly. Getting dumped in the river with or without a life jacket could quickly become tragic. That said, we have left the boat ramp many mornings with temps in the teens. I enjoy the challenge, and that's when the bigguns' bite!

Bill in SC

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Think safety first at all times. Take an extra change of warm dry clothes. Good luck.

5. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Make sure your batteries are fully charged.... Don't get wet! Face protection is probably a good idea too... That air is cold.

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I pack a cold bag late nov and keep in truck till spring containg bibs,sweatshirts gloves, hats and rain gear.
    I also never go by myself in winter-in case i go overboard. Not really a concern other times of the year.

7. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
  8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Boat decks can get slippery!!! Stay in the boat.

I take a 20lb propane tank with a radiant heater. It can really take the chill off, especially warming your hands!

9. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    A radiant heater is a smokin' idea, thanks Skipeye!

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Pack some hot coffee, your motor should be fine just make sure all the water drains out when you pull the boat out of the water

11. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Kick the octane up a bit in the winter and watch for the tube from the motor head to the "pee tube" freezing.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I second the motor advice. I never 'winterize' mine. After you trailer it run the tilt all the way down to drain it before you stow it. I also lower it after I get home and keep it down while in storage until the next trip. No problems so far.

13. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Make sure to keep the lower unit in the water. Probably more of an issue while hunting than fishing, as i dont really know anybody who tilts their motor up and out of the water when fishing. Definately tilt the motor down and let it drain before taking off down the road with it. If your motor is electric start, make sure your battery is charged and in good shape. Warm your motor up good before taking off. I know yamaha suggests 3 minutes warm up time for my motor (that includes summer), and i try to give it a couple more when its cold outside.

Make sure your bearings/bearing buddies are in good shape on the trailer. I've heard that dunking bearings into cold water can cause them to suck water in.

Not really a whole lot different from summertime boating, just be careful, cause at those temps, hypothermia sets in quick.

14. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    A few things I learned last night while out shortly after dark....

1. Watch out for the boat ramp freezing.

Down towards the water, several boats had been pulled out during the daytime and thus water on the ramp. Not realizing or thinking about that, I pulled down right into the middle of the wet area and it was slippery. I am thankful my truck didn't slide into the water. I should of pulled the truck down 4 - 5' to my left where it was a little drier.

2. The boat deck iced over from me throwing a castnet for shad and became very slippery!!! :eek:oooh:

3. My ropes began to freeze also from being soaked from the water coming off my cast net.

A few pics before and after my boat trip yesterday. The windshield proved invaluable on my return back to the ramp at Columbia Bottoms. I had one foot wet, and my hands were frozen from throwing the net and handling cold/wet ropes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  15. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I agree with all the motor advice, especially on draining it at the ramp and at home.
    I have fallen in twice, and once was the day after Thanksgiving.
    Obviously pack extra clothes and a towel. Since falling in that November, I always keep a rope tied off in the boat and hanging over the side. That rope has a few knots tied in it in case I needed to hold on and climb back in.
    I know we never think it would happen to us, but falling in after dark in the winter would be a real drag.

16. Great thread and posts guys! Here are my questions and thoughts.

What about the bilge pump, did anybody ever have one freeze up while in the water? I got a small leak somewhere and I got to pump it out a few times, wasn't sure if that sucker might freeze up on me or not.

I also take a tank mounted propane heater with me. It does take the chill off a little, and you know ya gotta get your hands wet when baiting and taking fish pics! Put the bimi up up ya have one too, it helps trap a little heat there, especially if there is no wind.

The boat ramp/trailer. Does anyone keep salt in thier vehicle for the boat ramp? After you pull your empty trailer out, it soaks the ramp, and the bunks. They will freeze up if your putting in at night. Those frozen bunks/ rollers can be a real bear. Then after mounting the boat, climbing off and behind the vehilce next to the waterline where ice may have formed is very dangerous.

17. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO

I plan to take some sand with me next time and sprinkle in the bow for traction. I was considering salt, but thought it would not work well with the paint job and aluminum.

I think I will also bring a little salt too to throw on the ramp if it gets bad. That is a great idea.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I had forgotten about the ramp freezing up. That's one reason I don't fish when we have a rare snow. Can't get up and down the ramp, well it would be easy enough to get down it! :wink:

BB in SC

19. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Great post guys, Very informative. Thanks

20. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I'd say yes, that the bildge pump will freeze up...the air temp will be lower than the water temp. After the pump sits for awhile it will freeze.Got some pics if I can find them with ice frozen on the side of my boat from the splash,when I was out in Feb.
    The salt is a good idea for those that use concrete ramps, most that I use are gravel so it's not a problem.
    Small propane heater.......great idea.....I have one and never though of using it for that purpose, but I will now....:big_smile: