Below Eufala Dam

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Stoneman187, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We have been asked and agreed to again be Park Hosts at the Damsite East campground below the dam. The fishing is usually great there and you can stop by and say hi and perhaps I can give you a hand catching a load of those Catfish or Stripers. We will be in the bus as always or down by the river catching fish. We are always glad to see old friends or make new ones.
    Bill And Marilyn

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Bill
    I hope I can get down there this year. I will just have to take time, if nothing else just make a day trip down to fish.

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I fish below eufaulla a lot but never bothered to go visiting anyone...maybe cause i did not know anyone..

I will look for the bus next trip and say HI...

I just finished making a continuous hog trap and will set it out near eufaulla sometime soon and stay a couple days...do some fishing and play with my muzzleloader to test some homemade bullets..

I just wanted to wait till after deer season ,,give the last of the bow hunters the best chance of filling the freezer

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Any way a guy can get bait and fish off the bank there? Never seen the place but i do buy Okla. lie. I fish Grand lake and Elk river quite a bit. Wanna fish the Ark. river some this year too.

5. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was just there today looking around. It has probably been 15 years since I was last there. Lots has changed. If I get down there again, I'll look for that bus!

6. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    I will have to make it a point to come down next summer and visit. Bill did they ever find out who took all your poles last summer? I hope they have rotten luck fishing with them.

Foggy :glasses-cool:

7. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yall are blessed in eastern oklahoma when it comes to fishing.. I live in central oklahoma ,and the fishing aint that great in my opinion, but yes I plain on making it to eufaula this spring and summer , and I will try and find y'all , and maybe we can catch a few fish ,and have a couple of beers,that's if yall drink beer ,if not a class of sweet tea is good for me...lol .... :smile-big:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  8. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Stoneman, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't there use to be a boat ramp on the South side of Eufaula Dam? I didn't see it when I was there the other day.

9. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes most times you cn catch plenty of shad in cast nets below the dam. Fishing from the shore is really good I always fish from the shore up by the dam. We catch lot of nice fish. Also the south side is where people launch their boats but it is not a regulr boat ramp, just back into the river and push the boat off the trailer. The gravel will hold up your truck and you won't get stuck if you launch right t the end of the rod from the parking lot.
    Yes they did steal all my tackle last fall, so I must buy new rods and all a rel bummer. I doubt they will prospher from the stolen rods. I have one new one and yet have to get Marilyn one, but we will. I just had one real good one 13'' with a garcia reel the rest were not expensive ones. We look forward to seeing everyone and perhaps helping you all catch bait or fish. Plus cmping is real nice in the little campground on the north side of the dam

Have a great day
    Bill & Marilyn

10. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Hey Bill, do you know if it is allowed to camp on the north side down river?

11. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Are you talking about the eagle watch site or farther down river? you can camp in the capmground quite resonable. Now there are signs no camping on the south side of the river but the north I really do not know for sure.

Bill

12. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Whoops, I meant to say south side. I heard that you couldn't camp close to the dam on the south side, but I was wondering if a person could ride an ATV down river a few miles and camp/fish all night.

13. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Has anyone been catch Stripers at below Eufaula Dam lately? I heard that Janurary is a good time to catch some big Stripers there, is that true?

14. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would guess that if you went down mile and stay overnight fishing that you would be fine. I think that you might do better up by the dam but I cant say for sure. Fishing is not something that you can't 100% perdict the outcome ever. There are many varables so take your best shot. if there is water running on the turbin side it is always good place I wish you the best.

Bill

15. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We have been busy working on the interior of the bus, building new cabonets and things. Marilyn is busy making new curtins and flooring. We got a new double recliner for nasty days. We decided to take the satalite dish systom.and put a 30 inch tv in the bus for when its nasty or we need a rest. All this sitting in the house all winter will take a while to get back in shape. Oh well let us know if your catching anything and what ever is going on thanks.

Bill Marilyn and kids
    our dogs are our kids and we are glad that
    the rest of our kids are grown

16. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bill,

I am going there at Eufaula Dam on Feburary 15th, Monday, so I will find out how is fishing and will let you know! I will be mainly fishing for striper and maybe sand bass if they are biting.. It is going to be 19 degree on monday morning, that doesn't bother me because I am a hardcore fisherman and hunter! lol!

17. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Looks like I will be tagging along with Kirt to show him how to catch'em LOL

18. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It is usually windy as well there so bundle up. I hope you all get a few real nice ones.I hope the shad are there as well. We are going back to the dam site campground on March 15 for the season. Have some fun and don't freze out there. Thanks for the upcoming report on fishing.

19. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well we just got back from Eufaula not long ago... we arrived there at about 7am.. Temperature was about 22 degrees, clear skies all 3 generators running.. wind didnt really pick up til about 9am.

There were so many birds between the buoy line all the way up to the tubines it looked completely white with the combination of pelicans and seagulls. Must have been hundreds of them.. The shad were coming out of the generators at a steady pace which most likely attracted all the birds and the only shad we could get were the stragglers that would come close enough for us to throw our net on top of.

The bite was non existent.. most likely from so much stunned and dying bait fish in the water.. we decided to pack up and try crappie fishing on the lake side but the crappie were slow also.. Must be still too cold!

But I still had a good time regardless. Hopefully things start to pick up soon

20. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I sure wish it would have been a better one was hoping that you guys would get a big catch of stripers. I think all the birds are a good sign of things to come if the bait is there they will come!