Bellying up Boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by GMC FishHauler, Nov 18, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    hey guys how do i belly up this boat to repair the leaks on bottom and to epoxy it? I am goin to attach the page that has pics of this heavy boat, if u guys have any ideas be sure to let me know.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    What repair work I've done on large boats has been to set some tires in the yard, drop the stern on the tires, slowly drive out from under the boat, and put braces on the bow end. Secure it so it don't fall, then crawl under it to do the repair work. As you finish an area, move the braces and open up another area to work. Takes a while, but if you don't have access to cranes or large fork lifts, its about as good as it will get. LOL

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well, i have access to a front end loader so can i use that?

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think a front end loader could work. You would need to fabricate some straps that would hold the weight of the boat while working. Wire rope would be too thin and although it would probably bear the weight of anything less than a small ocean liner (joke - laugh now) it would probably cut into the hull. See if you can get some old surplus fire hose-may check the local fire station. You would need two straps. Same deal, work on the hull until you get up to a few inches of the straps, set it down, reposition the straps and keep going. Remember to keep the boat balanced or you'll have a big pile of used to be boat. Being a country boy from Texas (sorry, Waco is not a large city) you know how to rig stuff... if nothing else, there is always bailing wire, right?

5. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    How heavy is the boat? That makes a big difference. Is the transom sound?

I had a fiberglass repair shop years ago and got stuck with a lot of the old (60's) fiberglass boats. Back when they thought 4" thick was stronger.

I had a 4X4 brace built up.

I forgot to show the casters I had on this rig on all four legs.

This had a 4 ft by 4 ft foot print and was about 3 inches lower than the boat trailer. I would attach the back of the boat with pulling straps to a concrete pole in my shop, and hook up to the trailer. then I would unhook the strap attache to the boat and pull away a little bit. The boat would then suspend over the brace. I would insert one brace under it then pull ahead some more. as you pull away, the boat will lower onto the brace. If you need it all the way off, use a similar one on the front end and the boat will come all the way off the trailer.

When done, back upthe trailer with wedges under your trucks back tire, that will raise your trailer tongue and lower the back end allowing you to crank it back on.

Attached Files:

6. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a few pics from what a guy did to fix his jet boat, not sure if it would work for you or not.

Once flipped then he lowered it down on blocks.

Attached Files: