Belly Meat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cattoo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    do any of you guys fillet the belly meat off of big blues or flats when you clean them. on the larger fish( 8 pounds or so) there is quite alot of meat from this section and it is very delicious. i didnt have a clue about it til jackass and i went to santee cooper several years ago. we hired a guide and he cleaned our catch at the end of the trip and we saw how to do it. it also makes the cat easier to fillet after this section is removed. consequently, this was the first time i ever saw an electric fillet knife in action also. needless to say, i had one of my own before we left.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

We do. It is a good cut of meat. I too learned of this in Santee and the electric fillet knife also many years ago.

3. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I don't catch blues that big, but heck yes on the flatheads and big channel cats. It is good meat. I also skin the heads of flatheads and get the meat right behind the eyes. It's to good to waste. grizzly

4. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i heard storys of people fishing the mississipi river and catching big cats then cutting the belly meat off anf throwing the rest overboard. personaly i think i would keep all or none.

5. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    If you use a hair brush, and brush off the fat on the belly, you get a reel go peace of meat.