Bells?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigmike, Jul 24, 2006.

1. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Curious is anyone use the bells attatched to their poles, or even some alarms I've seen to let you know when something is biting. It could be me but I find the alarm noise annoying and way overkill and the bells get in the way. Let me know what you use and how well it works for you.

2. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    Call me cheap if you will but I only use a small bobber attached to my line as well as the bait clicker feature of my reel. When the bobber bangs my rod and the clicker starts thats when I know I've got something.

Then again thats the way I was taught.

Greg

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    yeah the bells seem to get in the way for me too. i pretty much just keep a good eye on my pole and if its at night i put a little glowstick on the end of my rod.

4. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    greg thats the way my dad taught me when i was a kid,the old boober on the line with the old trusty zebco 33,man them was some good times

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When I hear those bells I think it is winter.
    Bill

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I use bells on the end of my pole.

Go to Wal-Mart craft section and you can get a big ol bag for dollar or two. Then, get some twist ties, just tighten em up on end of pole. Take needle nose and twist the ties and they will tighten well and ends of twist tie break off.

Works well.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thats good advice Tea, the bells that you buy in sporting goods wont stay tight on your rod, and thier too big. I personally like small light sticks.

8. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I use bells from time to time, but only when im not using my bait cast rod/reel setup. They work good for an alarm when you are not paying attention to your pole. But there is nothing that gets your heart racing like the zinging sound your bait alarm makes on the bait cast reel when that fish is running with your line :big_smile:

9. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Haven't used bells in years but heard about the bobber hookup a few years ago and will use if if I don't have any light sticks. Got an alarm from the American Carp Association last year to give away and it did seem to work well on fish that would pickup bait and just move a little in or out. Don't think I would buy one unless I was fishing in a very high dollar tournament (bank fishing).

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bells are only good if you are fishing anything other than live bait. Cant use bells when you rod tip is bouncing from a lively bullhead. I wont fish with anyone who uses bells. Its too annoying.:lol:

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I tried the catfish pole bells that clamp on end of pole. I dont like em. Get in my way and first time I set the hook, my line got messed up and bell when flying in the woods. LOL. When I set hook I pull em out of skin. Saves time cleaning em. LMAO

I'm thinking Tea is useing those very small little round bells silver, like a marble bell. I never thought of that. Those may work much better, not get in way and stay on pole like he does it. I might check that out. Those things might be what I need. They might make just enough sound to let me know when fishing on a dark night. Most times I fish alone, no radio so I dont need much noise. Light of Fire, moon and the night is good to me, . Even when wife goes, I dont talk much in person except to myself. LOL. I'm always quite. For most part, I wait till rod bends over or moves around a little. LOL.

12. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO

Dano, here are the bells that I use. They work great. I will get a pic of em on my Rods next time I go fishing for ya.

13. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Shoot, forgot to add the pic. Sorry, here they are.

14. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I use those little copper colored bells from walmart. I dont like them a lot but I got some for Christmas. I will take Tea's advice and go with those smaller ones.

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tea, Thats what i thought you was meaning bout the bells, but I really never thought of that. Those bells may be just the thing to use. I got a say, thats worth a try. I think it will work much better than those other type fishing bells. Good ideal. Thanks for putting that up.
    Learn something new all the time. :cool2:

16. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Glad I could help ya Dano, have a good one brother.

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't care for the bells I like a 9watt flouresent light are the dome lights.

18. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use bell for Flatheads. Once the Bream is on the bottom they settle down. I put the bells on the guide supports at the tip of the rod. When the bait sees a big fish closing in, they will try to get away and the bell starts ringing. Then I remove the bell and when the line starts going out I'm ready to set the hook. I like Tea's idea because I have had to set the hook with the bell still on the pole and with my 8' & 9' poles, the bell will travel like a bullet about 100 yards behind me setting the hook.