Belleville Lock and Dam Area

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Jammer, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can anyone tell me what the water conditions are below the Belleville lock? I'm planning on doing a little camping at Forked Run when it warms up a little. I've got a 14' fiberglass boat with a 25 hp motor and wanted to head upstream from the campground toward the lock.

What kind of Cats are in this area and are there Skipjacks? I've never caught Skipjack but it sounds like fun.

Is the river traffic real bad? You guys have already convinced me to get a large bilge pump if I'm going to be on the river.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
  4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jerry, thats where we had our gathering 2 years ago. It was a nice campsite and we were able to boat get some good eaters and one guy caught a 35lbr. All in all tho it was a nice place. You might want to veer towards the WV side to fish tho unless your on your boat the Ohio side didnt have a whole lot of places to productivly fish. Also if you put your boat in right there by Forked run head east about 2 miles there is a wingdam that we were catching ours off of (avg was about 7lbs), this is where the 35lbr was caught.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    That was a fun gathering, mostly all flatheads were caught and a couple of channel cats. WV DNR has stocked that area with blue cats starting in 2005 and still stocking it. There should be some blues in the 10-15 lb range along that stretch.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Jammer

We did have an "Ohio Gathering" @ Forked Run a few yrs back and I only bank fished it @ Long Bottom bend on the North Side shore.

There is heavy barge traffic @ this bend. one missed the turn on the bend and the prop wash chased us guys bank fishing up the bank!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF I where in a 14' boat or bank fishing I would look @ this spot. If u go south on RT. 124 from Forked Run, as u r passing the BIG BIG bend in the River there is a pull off on the north side for 2 cars there. On the south side of 124 there is a Metal Guard Rail which had a white paint mark on it then. That marks the path down the cliff (be carefull). Go down the patht o the right of the huge rocks is a little shore line. Fish from shore close to the huge rocks.

This place has millions of tons of structure/snags. The channel is cutting right up next to shoreline/road. If fishing from shore the water level has tobe 13 1/2 ft or less or there is no place to fish it from shore.

If u have a deth finder or fish finder I boat fish up close to the shoreline there just on the high side of the channel next to shore behind a boulder or two.

:still_dreaming: .

If I was to be @ Forked Run that is what I would due.

Take this with a grain of salt for we had bait and temp problems when there and only got one Flat. I do not like fishing the Ohio River with water temps over 75!!!!

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im not sure if your talking about where Shade River intersects with the Ohio but I had a biggun on my line and due to my poor knot tying I lost it. If you havnt been there, there is also a little lake that you can get gills from fairly easy.

Where Shade river is on one side of the bridge you have to climb down a crappy path to get to the shore (depending on the depth of the Ohio), on the other side you have a good 15 ft drop to the shore but there were some monster fish there if only I could keep them hooked. :lol:

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Nope not the Shade River but lets see if the link will work.

,,,,,Rrrrrr, nope it will not on "Mapquest" but if ya go to Mapquest you will see it just past Long Bottom, OH.

9. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks, Steve Those are a couple good sites, finally one with some idea of the water temp. I've looked all over for one. Are there temp sites for the Miami, Scioto, and Muskingum?

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Jammer

No on the other sites but there r some that will give u a real good idea on the water temps @ other lakes/rivers in Ohio.

Don't hpld your breath though, he hee.

:big_smile:

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
  12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good stuff baitkiller, you guys that fish the ohio know anything about the fishing around St. Marys in Wv? Fished it one night around an island down there. couple of 10lb. flats and a few channels.. nice campground in St. Marys though. any ideas on where to go?

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Nope on St Mary's.....wish I knew if the are any Old L&D with structure there???

:angry: