Belews Lake Report 2-2-09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jstutz, Feb 2, 2009.

1. jstutz

jstutz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well saturday did not go so well for me. I got to the lake about 6pm. I started on 158. i threw two cat rods out then walked the rock beds for about 1.5 hours trying various bass baits. Mostly i was trying plastic worms. Well i got nothing so i packed up and went to piney bluff. I threw two cat rods out loaded with pieces of shrimp. i thought it was going to be a good night for bass as i could see fish breaking the water all over the place. Well after three hours of watching fish jump everywhere and not catching anything i gave up. the fish seem to be pretty big fish jumping but i could not get any of them interested in what i had to offer. I tried again worms of various colors and a few top water lures. i have no idea what the fish were that were jumping everywhere but if you could figure out what they want you could probably have a heck of a night of fishing.

Sunday, i met my buddy at humphrys ridge boat launch about noon. We fished down by 158 for a while then tried a few coves around the HH. We had 7 rods out total. The bait we were using was blue gills caught that day, chunks of hotdog, powerbait, raw fresh shrimp, and frozen shrimp. The trip ended at 8 pm and we both caught 1. total weight of less than two pounds. Very uneventful day. Both small cats were caught on shrimp.

2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    We have fished Belews some and I have the following observations. Don't expect cats much over 8 to 10 lbs. I think they are growing but that is as big as they have gotten since the Selenium kill. Second what you are fishing for are channel cats. I have never seen a blue or flat in there. As we all know channels are variable on food choices.
    Belews is FULL of bait. Shad are thick as flies and some of them are huge. If you can net some the channels in Belews like them pretty well. Also as mentioned shrimp can pull out a few.
    Look for inlet creeks and fish the openings of them. The combo of cooler water and natural food coming down the creek is a sure draw for the cats. One place I have had good luck is above Pine Ridge. Instead of turning right at the landing to go to the main lake go left. You will come to a narrow opening from an old railroad trestle. Go thru it and you will come to a large shallow pond like area that is a great place to net shad in the summer months. The channel above that area is lined on one side with private boat docks all the way up to where the inlet creek forms a big mud flat. My son and I have caught channels in the 8 to 10 lb range back up in that channel.

3. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Now thats a new one to me. I always liked fries with my catfish. I wonder if they like hushpuppies too.......just kidding, channels are known to take a wide variety of baits. Some even a bit strange.

4. jstutz

jstutz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for the advice guys. French Fries are a new one for me but ill try just about anything once. We have fished that little area left of piney bluff once and have caught two cats. both about 3 lbs. We certanly did see the shad over there as well. I believe that it was late summer to early fall when we were over there. It seem like if channels migrate around, that they would naturally go north on the lake during the winter as the water is continually warmer as you approach the HH. Does anybody have any data showing this not to be true. My buddies and i are trying to figure out there patterns but we do not seem to be doing that well. So has anyone caught channels in the winter anywhere south of the HH, mainly around Piney Bluff or 158. I live on 158 and dont seem to do very well over there in the winter.

5. jstutz

jstutz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ok