Belews Lake NC questions?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by riddleofsteel, Sep 1, 2006.

1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Greetings

Have any of you catfishers been on Belews Lake lately?

We used to fish there from the bank many moons ago and I always had good luck on cats there at night. We have been considering doing some night fishing there from our boat. I think nights would be the best way to avoid the jet skis and water skiers/tubers.

I know Belews is a big lake so any advice on potential fishing spots would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Well we went anyway last night. I put in at the Pine Bluff NC Wildlife boat landing around dusk while the tubers and jet skis were leaving. When we left the landing I went to the left and soon found schools of hand size shad just past the old railroad bridge. We netted enough for the night. My homemade live well will not keep them alive much past 3 hours even with the Bait Savr pump running and frequent water changes. So when they died I put the rest on ice in a sealed bag.

Just at dark my son hooked a 4 lb channel on a shad head in murky water about 5 foot deep. Two hour dry spell and we explored this rear channel that was lined with high dollar homes and boats at dock. It ended in a several acre mud flat with feeder creek. Water from 4 inches to four feet deep with forest trash and leaves floating everywhere. We anchored just inside deep water and caught two 5 lb and a one 6 lb channel cat around 11:30.
    Another 1 hour dry spell and we decide to go back past the boat landing to explore toward the main lake. Water temperature changed DRASTICALLY the futher we got toward the power plant. THe fog was so bad you could not see 10 foot in some places. The spot light just made it worse. At one point I pulled up my anchor and I could swear it was at least 90 degrees or more. This compares to the creek water on that mud flat that was more like 70 or 75. WE caught zero in the warmer water so we went back to the muddy area. On the way it started raining and we stopped under a bridge to talk to a Belews regular fisherman. He indicated that a 52 lb channel was caught in the cooler area around the old railroad bridge this spring. We finished the night near the old bridge and caught a dozen or so small cats around 4 AM. At dawn I hooked a 20 lb, plus cat that rolled right next to the boat. My son missed the first chance to net it and it wrapped around an unseen snag and was gone. This shocked me as well both use heavy braided line and stout hooks. After reeling the line in the 1/2 swivel told the tale. Swivel failure.

All in all a nice night. My son's first full night on a boat fishing. We stopped for breakfast on the way back and he fell asleep before we got home.

Life is good.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never heard of the lake but it sounded like a pretty good trip. Sorry to hear about the lost fish though. Thanks for sharing the trip info.

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Completed in 1973, Belews Lake has a surface area of 3,863 acres and a shoreline of approximately 88 miles. It is impounded by a rolled earth fill dam with a concrete spillway across Belews Creek.
    The lake was created to provide cooling water for Belews Creek Steam Station -- the largest coal-fired station on the Duke Energy system.
    Unlike most Duke Energy lakes, there is no hydroelectric generation at this dam, so Belews Lake is not under FERC license. It is used as cooling water for the Belews Creek Steam Station. Drawdown of the lake occurs only when necessary to maintain minimum discharge into the Dan River.

It is what I call a HIGH use body of water. Weekends and holidays it is an excellent place to get run down by a drunk in a ski boat. On this last trip the NC Wildlife and law enforcement from the three counties the lake goes into were out in force. I saw the operator of a big party barge pontoon boat get arrested for DUI. They left his boat tied to the dock at the landing and took him away!

The ONLY reason I went there is because the landings and the lake are open all night and the lake is close to Greensboro. Of course this was a Labor Day weekend but we did notice that the Pine Bluff boat landing was busy all night long. We tried to fish in the main channel leading from the landing to the main lake and gave up. At 11:00 PM there was a boat coming or going at least every 15 minutes! We had the back waters to ourselves after 10:00 PM and I guess the fish liked the quiet as well.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It is what I call a HIGH use body of water. Weekends and holidays it is an excellent place to get run down by a drunk in a ski boat. On this last trip the NC Wildlife and law enforcement from the three counties the lake goes into were out in force. I saw the operator of a big party barge pontoon boat get arrested for DUI. They left his boat tied to the dock at the landing and took him away!

I got to see the exact same thing on Jordan Lake Sunday morning. Thanks for the info on the lake.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for sharing the information on the lake because i hadnt never heard of it before but it sounds like good cat waters. would have liked to seen that big channel. that should of been a new record if it was a channel.

7. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Especially with the NC record on channels up for grabs due to the misidentification of the old record holding cat. I know the cats we were pulling in were healthy channels with bulging full bellys. The cat I lost was a different color in the spot light but I only saw it briefly in as it rolled. I do not know if blues and flats are in the lake or not.
    As for the big cat. The fellow I talked to said he was at the landing putting in his bass boat when the guy brought it in. He indicated they weighed it on a Rapala Lock'n Grip type scale and it weighed in at 52 lb. I really do not know how good this fellow is at ID on cats.
    One of the things about Belews lake is that the lake never cools down. In the winter huge schools of shad cruise the lake even during the coldest winters. I have always suspected the lake may hold some monster cats that fatten up year round on abundant food.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A guide I use at Santee say's the same thing, since the lake doesn't freeze over the cat's tend to feed more and that helps them with size.

9. Smiles

Smiles New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm not a native of the area but recently moved here from Colorado and the locals tell me that there are monster cats in belews lake, i have yet to try it out for myself.