Belews Creek 3-11

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CKT, Mar 12, 2007.

1. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    Went to belews today and the water temps ranged from 54 - 74 degrees it depended on how close to the powerplant you were ? no luck in the 74 degree water and no luck in the 54 degree water although a few more bites in the cooler water ! the only muddy water was past the 158 bridge ,the rest of the water was good ! on the good side we coaught about 30 crappie 9 keepers i bream and 1 small bass ! does anyone else ever have luck on belews ? there oughta be some good cats in there?

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think riddleofsteel fishes that lake. he had a post a while back on here. might do a search. i think he said there was nice fish in there.

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    The are some good cats in the lake but it is tough to fish. We had some good luck up past Pine Ridge boat landing just past the old railroad bridge. Most of our good bites have been during the wee hours of the morning. The main problem there is that if the air temp is cool at all FOG is a huge problem. We went out about a month ago and sat all night in the channel above Pine Ridge. Air temps were near freezing and we were dressed in insulated suits. About 2:00 AM the wind quit and fog set in. In less than 1 hour everything was soaking wet and I could not see the front of my 16' boat. Finally my son had to lay on the front deck and shine a hand held light inches above the water while we idled back to Pine Ridge. To top it off zero bites.
    There are plenty of shad in the lake and as you stated some serious hot water output. You would think some hogs would be in that deep water near the output. Most of my luck there has been in the upper parts of the lake.

4. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    went again today and just crappie fished ! brought home 13 nice size crappie much better day more aggressive ! ready to get some cats though.

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Have any of you run a depth finder across the hot water output?

We got there the other week and a pontoon boat was fishing in the little cove to the left so I anchored mid stream for a while. I had to put out 95% of my anchor rope to hit bottom. There must be a huge hole in there.

I can't wait for my new Lowrance sonar to come in so I can see the graph on that area.

6. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    yes that water is very deep in there , its basically a canal coming from the powerplant . if i remember correctly we have marked depths down to 200ft + and alot of 100ft range, best i remember infront of the warming pond was about 83 ft deep

7. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Fished Belews lake again today. Put in at Humpries Ridge and went across to the hot water canal. Crazy folks in there swimming . Current was so strong anchors would not hold. Fished beside the output zero bites.
    Went up the lake past the 158 bridge. Very muddy past the bridge. Good bites at the entrance to the feeder creek on frozen shad, zero bites on beef heart or shrimp. Watch the water depth up there it is very shallow.
    We caught quite a few channels in the 2 to 5 lb range threw them back.

Other than freezing our ass off in the cold wind had a pretty good time.

8. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    i know exactly where your talking about we didnt go very far up that creek but stayed out in the open part of the lake and it was muddy. like you said we got a few bites but no catches. good to hear of the catch though