Being Prepared in Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by KansasKatter, Oct 27, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am not sure if everyone already does this or not, but it is a new idea for me, so I thought I would share. With the cold weather getting ready to beat on us for a few months, I took an extra set of clothes and an old coat and sealed them up real tight in a plastic bad and tucked them up under the front seat of the boat. If I ever ger wet while on a cold trip, or heaven forbid fall in, it will sure be nice to have some dry clothes to put on!:smile2:

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Beisdes a new set of clothes I also pack a large beach towel and some of the large hot hands body warmers. If I ever fall into the water in the winter I want to be able to dry off before putting on some new clothes and those large hot hands body warmers to help with hypothermia. I also awlays make sure to wear my life vest in the winter and attach the kill switch to myself If I ever fall out. I fish a lot in the winter and many times by myself.

I also keep a ice pick in the boat. I've been fishing when the air temps are in the low teens and water temps in the low thirties. I've had some ice build up on the pee hole on my motor and had to break it away in order for my water to cycle through. It won't happen while driving your boat but I've had it happen during long periods of not running the motor while on the water or having it freeze up overnight and having to clean out that hole before leaving the ramp the next morning.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Does U-HAUL rent a small tow behind barge? My wife has every nook and cranny on my boat filled with everything but the kitchen sink and I'm sure it's in there somewhere.......

Great idea though......

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Great tip! I am going to add to my bag tonight!

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I keep about 4 lighters around. Couple in the boat, one in the tackle box, etc. I quit smoking but keep the lighters. I have the spare clothes and towels as well, but if I ever get real cold or the boat breaks down, fire would be good. I also keep an old newspaper in the boat for the same reason. Handy in the fall when I get more interested in just hanging out by a fire than actually fishing, too.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I learned to keep a extra set the hard way fell out of my boat about 1 or 2 miles down river water was warmer than the air thought I was going to freeze before I got back to my truck:tounge_out:

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Man if I fall in the river in the winter time I'm SOL!! Good luck getting to the boat in the current no spare clothes going to save me. Guess I'll just have to swim to shore and start running home to get the body heat back up.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    This time of year I'm toast, anyway, by the time my boots and Carharts are full of water I'm going nowhere but the bottom, anyway....:smile2:

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    any of you fellow using a propane heater in your boats? im wanting to get one for mine but i want something that wont turn over real easy. only going to use it when i anchor but sometimes i get lucky and have run in the boat. i looked at bps today but i think the race here in charlotte cleaned them out of the nicer ones. looking for ideals

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We have a small one called a "Mr Heater" and we have used it a few years now, it's awesome. We have a very small one but you could buy a bigger one that would probably do a little better.

11. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    here is what i would do... i would put it in the bow and not put poles up there, that way i'm only running to the back of the boat and not over the heater... i would also strap it down by putting 4 small stainless d-ring plates in the floor (2 on each side) and use bungi cords... hope that helps