Being lazy almost cost me money

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cook, Jun 12, 2006.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I usually work weekends,but had a rare sunday off.Was very windy,so decided to fish from the bank.Parked on the bridge,made 2 trips unloading,drove off bridge and parked,went fishing.

Set out some rods with cutbait,one with corn,and then crappie fished to pass the time.

5 hours later,time to leave.Pack up,gather everything.Have ziplock bags in a plastic bag full of different bait.As I empty the bait into the lake(may as well give them a free dinner),the wind blows 2 bags into the lake.

Carry 1 load up,drive car to bridge,start loading.2 park rangers pull up behind me in trucks.Ask me if I leaving.Said yes ,but have one more load to grab.They follow me down as I go to get the next load.I see the 2 bags still in the water,blown about 50 feet down shore.A light bulb goes off in my head"DING!!"

Waded out and grabbed them,then the rest of my stuff.

Walked back to the car.
    Rangers were pissed,there went their easy ticket.

They tried to get me on anything,checked fish,fishing license,driver license,sobriety check,insurance....even talked about a ticket for parking on bridge(??...motor running,trunk open,loading gear)

Finally they said they were letting me off with a warning.
    Part of my brain almost said a warning for what...but I knew.

Was not a deliberate attempt at littering,but they were watching from a 1/4 away with binocs.

I was lazy and almost paid for it.:embarassed: :embarassed:

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I support law enforcement, but I hate it when they are just begging to get you for something! Jerks!

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    One time I was snake hunting in Kansas (legally, I had a license) and had a car load of DNR guys pull up. One came over to me while the others stayed at the car by my wife. Well, the guy wanted to know what I was doing, wanted to see my license and wanted to see what I had in my possession. So, we walk over to the car & I pulled out my cooler (I keep the snakes in bags in a cooler to protect them from the heat) this guy starts carelessly reaching in & grabbing bags.
    I looked at him and said "I wouldn't do that if I were you!" Of course he gives me the look and says, why?!
    I said because there's a rattle snake in one of those bags! You should've seen the look on his face! LOL

Eric

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Jon,
    You need to thank the "powers that be" for lighting that little light bulb and reminding you one should never be too lazy to clean up all their trash when done fishing. :)
    But I too hate when any type enforcement officer tries thier darndest to find a reason to write you up. Too many intentionally doing wrong to waste time on diiging to find some little thing on someone that generally tries to do right.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well lets look at it from another view. Oh by the way I agree I hate being hassled too for no reason. Ok lets take it from thier view for a sec they see the bags blow into the water you leave to take stuff to the car so they zing over there. Now mind you all they saw was bags go into water and you go back up the bank what are they gonna think? same thing most any of us would to be honest. Ok now they are there and you go and get them bags ok fantastic on your part. They start to do thier job now of wanting to see your license etc ok thats fair it is thier job after all. then when they start talking about the bit of ticketing you for parking your car there to load it is a bit dumb i feel if there is no traffic and your not impeeding the flow of traffic. But remember these guys do have to put up with a lot of idiots every day and stuff. I agree I wouldnt of liked being hassled but on the other hand I would be glad they were on the ball looking for violaters too. lesson learned if picking up stuff falls blows into water retrieve it right away.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    I was wrong,Thats what I posted in my title"..lazy.."

Can't blame them for doing their job...but was purely accidental...no deliberate attempt at littering....

BTW,this is run by the COE"core of engineers"a federal agency....max fine for littering...5,00o$ and 6 months in jail....they were nitpicking an honest mistake

Another thing,I used to alwas bring a garbage bag and pick up while waiting for a bite....but over the years...gotten disillusioned...same ole thing every time.

Never once was thanked by "authorities" that I knew were watching....but have had other fisherman thank me...that was worth it

7. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Hey Cook we all do it at one time or another and I tell you I sure can see where your coming from getting a hey thanks for cleaning that up is nice once in a while. I have said it many times before if we took this prisoners and had to go along the banks af the rivers around here cleaning up they could provide several things. One is the guys get some fresh air and vent some and hoepfully be more relaxed back at the jail. Second it would get our banks nice and clean and it would look better. Third It would help them to learn to interact with each other and hopfully get along better back at the jail. And last but not least look at the money it could save the countys states etc and have cleaner waterways to boot.

8. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    there quick to take your cash, but when it comes on the other by you cleaning up someone elses trash, theres not even a little attaboy or a pat on the back... how hard is it to say thanks, you know

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    good thing you didnt get a ticket ,also good the water you went into wasnt 20' deep probly fined you for swimming lol

10. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yup I'd say you probably pissed them off by going and getting the bags. Their whole stakeout was in vain, and they didn't have any tickets to show for their hard work of sitting on their butts peering thru their binos, so they gave you the 3rd degree.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    ROTFLMFAO-just noticed,the little banner on the bottom of every post-ads by Google,guess they capture keywords in the post...first ad...supersize ziplock bags!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

12. AllenM

AllenM Guest

LOL!! That is funny!

As for the atta-boys for picking up yours, or other peoples left over trash, the problem is that most of these guys could care less about that... they just want to write some tickets and get their numbers up. I've worked hand in hand with a lot of police back when I worked security, and hung out socially with a few of them, and anyone who tells you that there is no "quota" for tickets is lying. It may not be an "official" quota, but the higher ups do start looking down their noses at officers who are not writing enough of them up. I've had to deal with cops like this before and they've done a real good job of pissing me off.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Glad you didnt get a ticket but would you have gotten those bags if they hadnt shown themselves. Im glad they were "hassling" you, I mean doing their job. I hear everyone complain about co's not doing anything then when they do people call them all kinds of names. I always welcome any co as with them just being visible they can stop other violations.

About the picking trash up just pick it up if thats what you want to do. Just dont expect everyone to come down and pat you on the back, especially law enforcement. It should be done because you want to help out not become the local hero.

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Well,Brian

1 )Honestly,no,I wouldn't have got the bags.The wind blew them out a ways.I picked up all my other trash and stuff,was purely accidental.Same as snagging a hook and breaking the line.I've never dove in to try and retrive that either.Be realistic.
    There is a big difference between it laying on the edge and being blown out 20 yards(60 feet)
    2)didn't say they were hasseling me,but they checked everything they could to try and find something.Remember I said they wanted to give me a ticket for improper parking as I was loading the car....they didn't because the Judge would have laughed at it.i treated them with respect,everything was "Yes,sir" "No,sir"
    3)I stopped picking up trash because it was an everyday affair.I talked to the local conservation officer(not the park rangers)about getting trash cans installed.He checked and told me that the higher ups said no due too the cost and that people would dump their household trash.
    Didn't do it for the glamour-just tired of looking at it.No thanks,offers of trash bags,trash cans ,help.This was in view of rangers.

I don't begrudge them for doing their job,but this was way out of line for what was accidental.A little discretion can go a long way.

But thanks for your input.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Merle,
    The county uses prisoners here. I've seen them several times picking up trash along sides of roads. Also at lake side picking up trash and discarded polystyrene dock flotation material.
    I would like to see more of it.

I fully stand with the law enforcement but I've also had dealings with punk cops trying to make a name for them selfs.

16. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Yea seen a few like that myself. Here they use them for cleaning the roads but not to clean the rivers etc wish they would be good for all involved.

17. cook

cook New Member

State:
    If I were in jail,I would do anything to get out every day.Painting curbs,mowing,picking trash,cleaning the bank vault.:lol:

18. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey Jon,It sounds like you were at Smithville Lake,were you?

19. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Years ago my brother was going to a small lake near here that was new to him, he stopped a game warden to ask directions to launch, the warden told him, then followed him to the ramp and when he backed the boat in the water, gave him a ticket for having too large a motor. Lake had a 10hp limit and he had an 18 hp on his jon boat. Now he did break the rule, but the warden could have told him when he stopped him to ask directions.

20. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Boy, that stinks.

ST