Beginning of the end for Nascar

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by screen, Jan 24, 2008.

1. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Just read about Yates Racing on Yahoo Sports -

Are teams like Hendrick, Roush, and Gibbs (though they are doing their job and very well I might add) causing the beginning to the end for Nascar?

Yates as one and like all to many others have fallen behind the curve in Americas top racing series. So many teams don't have the dollars and sponsors to compete. Yates as one are joined with Roush but may not run the full season because of no prime sponsor.

My question is:
    Have the top teams gobbled up all the prime sponsors and chased away others because sponsors don't want to spend their money on teams who may not have a chance at running at the front much less WIN?
    Has the top teams become too successful?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    you could be right, but there are still driver personalities out there that know how to market themselves like Michael Waltrip. He brought NAPA with him to start a new team. Alos UPS went with Dale Jarrett. Two major sponsers , (NAPA and Budweiser) left DEI to get a fresh start. At one time DEI was right up there with Hendrick and Roush.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    to add robert yates has retired giving the buisness to son doug. may be part of the changes.

4. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The C.O.T. was engineered to reduce cost in the cup series. Hopefully this will keep the smaller teams around for a couple more years.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i was watching some show a while ago about nascar tech and seen what they call the 7post shaker i believe.

what it was was a simulator that the 4 tires sat on with 3 points hooked to chassis. the computer is loaded with a program that runs the car on hydroluics and bounces the tires and chassis just as if it would have been run on track. then the team can setup the car before even taking it from the shop. the simulator can be loaded with track info for each surface bumps banking ect..

cost was 1.5 million and smaller teams are at a disadvantage before the cars get to the track. found a link that explains it.

some teams already have them some getting some no way.

http://insideracingtechnology.com/o7postshkr.htm

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont think its the end, just another change, much like the many changes seen throughout Nascar's history. Change naturally brings with it fear of the unknown. I bet fans, drivers, and owners were saying the same things back when they came out with a c.i. rule. "My God, they are going to kill the sport!" It's still here, the fans base is still here no matter how many races one particular driver wins (gives em someone to throw Bud cans at), and the sponsors are still here (although they may be more choosy who they put there name on than they use to be, thats business). The C.O.T. wont be anymore unusual than Goodyear tires in 2 years, then it will be something else. Thats evolution.

7. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I think one thing that would make it more fun is to go away with the way they qualify this year.The top 35 in points get to qualify first then the 35 below get to qualify.Why can't they just go back to where you showed up to the track and qualified.You either qualified on speed or you didn't.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Give it two full seasons before we write the eulogy. It seemed to me that by the end of last year the competition was getting closer together. NASCAR will continue tweaking till there is a balance of some kind. But if they don't, and this becomes the NASCAR IROC series, where every one has the same car it may be doomed lol.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

There is a NASCAR fan base. Its not the same fan base that was around for the CI rule and its not the fan base that got them where they are at today.
    That fan base was cast aside by NASCAR.
    They have a new fan base they cater to now. The new fan base has never seen "racing" and never will, atleast in the NASCAR series.
    The new fan base isnt as heritage proud as the previous one. Dont see many confederate flags anymore flying in the infield. We dont have a Mason Dixon 500 anymore and where did the Southern 500 go?

We have speech coaches and fines to those who tell it like it really is.
    We also have a car with a seat moved more to the centerline and its the same car they all drive.
    NASCAR took the manufacturers out of racing.
    If you are one of the cast aside fans you know that the manufactrurers championship was a big deal. If you talked about who was leading the driver points, somewhere in that conversation manufacturer points would come up.

Nascar swept all that under the rug. I cant remember the last time I heard anything about manufacturer points. Used to hear it 10 times a race.

A driver cant even punch a guy in the face these days without suffering the wrath of NASCAR and its fines.
    For those of us that are of the old fan base we know what really put NASCAR on the map with TV coverage. It was a fight.
    The fight in the turn 4 infield of Daytona where Cale Yarborough was boxing against Donnie Allison using his helmet.
    NASCAR wouldnt be today what it is today without those two rednecks showing their butt on the only televised race of the year.

Even the field up competively?
    Run what you bring. If you bring a substandard car or a substandard driver you finish substandard. Put cars back to factory body specs and the competition will repair itself. We went from chrome bumpers in the 80's to glass and plastic bumpers in the 90's to front ends on the cars totally unrecognizable as something you or I would drive. Its made for some piss poor racing too on the majority of tracks that they run on.

NASCAR has been their own worst enemy in "fixing" the competition problem.
    NASCAR is a master at taking the competition out of racing and putting a boot up the rear of the fan base that got them where they are. I'll give them that much.

It used to be that everybody went to the races to watch a race.
    Now its you go to a race for the party and to watch the show because thats all it is. If you think different well, you haven't seen a race.
    Might as well hand out free beer , pitch quarters for finishing spots,leave the cars parked on pit road, and let the fans file by. It would equate to today's racing with alot less expense (fair playing field NASCAR wants) and less torn up sheet metal.
    The only chance of someone getting hurt or killed would be in getting to the track and back home.
    There is no "my God NASCAR is going to kill the sport".
    They accomplished that along time ago. It used to be a sport. Its a show now. Its been transformed into what wrestling was transformed into.
    It gets more and more stupid every year and nobody in the show is going to complain too much because it pays too good.

Dad always said back in the days when we watched Richard Petty win 21,000 a race that if money ever got into the sport of racing it would go to hell in a handbasket. The handbasket burned up from the heat way back yonder.
    I used to be in front of TV for EVERY race EVERY year if I wasnt at the race.
    I cut short fishing trips to make sure I was in front of a TV. EVerything was planned around racing.

Not anymore. I go about my business and may or may not listen to parts of a "show" on the radio.
    The few races I still love to watch like the superspeedways and Bristol I watch for the torn up sheet metal and the tempers that reduce the drivers to babbling whiney babies because they cant be grown men and go plant a fist in the face of a fellow show performer without missing a paycheck or two.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i dont think its the end to much money involed

11. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Mark explains it pretty well - I know everything changes but maybe Nascar needs to look just once in the rear view mirror.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    was just a season or two ago i said in a very loud disgusted voice (while larry, darrell and the others were dressed in cowboy outfits) what the hell is this crap. this is a (^%(*&^% race not bonanza.

even in 92-93 when i began watching it it was totally different. now its how many funny stupid beer , razor, bar commercials they can squeeze in between 200 mph pace laps. maybe thats why the screwed the pooch at bristol. less cautions more stupid commercials.:angry:

i may be just me but i remember some saying the last race at bristol was a good race because there was hardly any cautions.

made me want to puke. thats why we loved bristol. throwing helmets, running across the track telling the guy that spun ya he was #1. if they wanted another 490 lap ballet like all but the last 10 at daytona build another track, dont ruin a tradition. make darlington a circle. ya that would be just great hugh?

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I think Mark has described it the best. Sure NASCAR will remain but the sport has been gone for awhile now. And it ain't coming back anytime either. It is about the money to NASCAR, not the fans, not the racing, and not the good ole boys that it was started for.

14. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Did anyone notice at the Nascar press conference last weekend that Brian France brought up that they were going to let the drivers show a little more emotion off the racing surface to help bring back some of the old spirit of Nascar. Maybe they are remembering what help bring the TV audience to Nascar. Now let's see Jeff take off that helmet and go after Matt.

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I myself would pay to see Jimmy Spencer pop Kurt Bush again!Nascar took the redneck out of racin. sad but true,and the drivers bought into it.smokey

16. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    NASCAR is become too political, too scripted, too Hollywood. I think teams with more than one car can 'stack the deck" in their favor and you can bet that it happens often! Over the last 15 or so years so many restrictions and rules have been put in place that it has taken the "edge" away from racing and I have all but lost interest ( and I LOVED my racing!!!)
    Smart drivers, good builders, driven individuals with an overwhelming desire to be victorious. That was NASCAR. Now it is "pretty boyz", computers, spotters, big $$$ and specailly designed cars that are built with CAD designing and intensive testing... ( Gee, didn't we call that INDYCARS?? Formula 1??)... yawn* turning into WWE scripted crap.....

17. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    What fights would everyone like to see on pit road?
    Harvick and Montoya would be a good one.

18. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Robby Gordon and Tony Stewart would be a good show

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    jimmy whooped his butt didnt he lol, and matt beter watch it after carl gets hold of him wont be much left for gordon. i thing carl could take em both.

also let me say i agree. there is no way a driver should suffer points for popping a photographer. thats why we have laws. fine him or jail him. dont take away racing points for that. if i was drunk at a race and threw a beer can at gordons car they wouldnt dock my pay come monday at work, or tues if i was to hungover to make it mon ,lol.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    All they need to do to fix cup racing is to put it back in the manufacturers hands.
    NASCAR has a rule book. Let the manufacturers compete with a "stock" car.
    If Ford gets the snot whooped out of them on the track, let Ford design a new car and put it into production.
    Just like it used to be.

The problem with NASCAR is that they have tried to make it a team sport like football or baseball.
    Racing is racing. Its about man and machine.
    Putting team into Nascar is taking the race out of racing.

Watch some of those real old races they televise sometime.
    Man and machine.