beginning deer hunter

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by okiecop, Nov 23, 2005.

1. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    OK all here is a stupid question. I am almost 40 and never hunted deer before but i want to start. my 30/30 question just didn't pan out too well so here is another one. what do you think is the best all around rifle for deer? I need to know before i go and buy one. tell me what you use and what ever else you want to throw in. any and all advice will be helpful.

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i would recomend a 308 or even a 7mm because ok has alot of open space it wouldn't be hard to squeeze off a 200 yrd shot that is my 2 cents

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have a friend that owns a gun shop and makes his own custom rifles, he talked me into a new rifle a few years ago after seeing some of his work first hand. What I bought is what he shoots and that is a 280. They are a very fast and flat shooting rifle, capable of long range shots with plenty of knock down power. I have (and still own) a 30/06 and a 7mag for years prior to this one and they have served me well and are good rifles. They don't get out of the gun cabinet much since I bought the 280.

4. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I have hunted using 3 different guns. .270, .30-06, and .223. I prefer the 270 myself. You cant go wrong with a Remington 700 chambered in .270. Thats just a personal preference though. Find someone who will let you shoot their guns, thats the best way to figure out what you want.

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    have to admit in a kindhearted way i laughed out loud when i read your question. the three biggest arguments at any deer camp: religion, politics, and the best deer rifle. :)

i have/had most all popular deer guns from the .270 up through a Sharps .45-70 and taken plenty with them all and they all have their pros and cons. there really is no right or wrong answer to your question as its all a matter of personal choice. his suggestion to borrow a few rifles is a valid one. try them out and see. the one about the remington model 700 is good also however personally im not a fan of the .270 but the 700 is available in about any caliber you can imagine. i prefer pre-64 designed winchester 70's and really impressed with the newer ruger mark 2's.

i'd avoid automatics. im a stickler for accuracy and used to compete a little, bolt actions are more consistently accurate than autos. keep in mind that at the ranges youll take most of your deer that point is meaningless. aside from more parts to mess up and clean the autos are fine. plus a bolt action will force you to obtain a new sight picture with each shot. (this is a good thing)

if youre a big guy and not bothered by a little recoil i'd suggest a .300 win mag
    either in a ruger mark 2 or a win model 70. funny how one never feels the recoil when dropping a deer but after a whole box of rounds at the range practicing ouch! avoid calibers that discourage regular practice. secondly i'd go with a 7mm rem mag. and running a weak thrid would be the old standard .30-06. any one of these is more than capable of taking anything in north america and if stuck with one gun to do it all with then id choose one of these three. of course you asked for opinions and thats what im giving. the .270 is a great deer gun, while i dont like it i can recognize a good gun when i see one. its a great antelope gun also. i should add that the .280 is one of the few ive no experience with. hell, who knows, ya'll may convert me as well. hahahaha

i really think the bottom line is whats best for you is what you like, what youre comfortable with, and whats best suited for the conditions you'll be using it for. i do think tho that if i were to hunt up where you are id want what we call a "beanfield" rifle. fast, flat shooting, capable of taking a deer on the other side of a beanfield. frustrating to watch a good deer walk away cause i brought the wrong gun to the stand.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Another thing to consider is we are in the middle of rifle deer season right now in Oklahoma. Even though a rifle is the easiest way to shoot a deer you really don't want to buy a gun today and be in the woods tomorrow. Time needs to be taken to sight your rifle in and be comfortable shooting it. Take your rifle to a gun shop and get your scope bore sighted. This will get you on paper but your a long way from being ready to go into the woods. A full day and at least a box of shells is really needed to properly sight in a rifle. Your shoulder will be sore after a day of shooting and the thought of the kick of that rifle will be in your mind when you take your shot if it's the next day. Bayoubear is right everyone has there own opinion on the "best rifle" but they will all kill deer. As far as my deer gun I own a Winchester model 70 in 270wsm and do like it a lot. Good luck.

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    chris has a great point. i wrote a big post about sighting in under the "bullet weights" thread more of an answer to one of the follow ups than the original question.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would chose a rifle that would best fit your hunting conditions, if your hunting open grounds I would recommend a .270, 7mm a rifle that shoots long and flat. I was reading an article in Feild and Stream and the .30-30 has taken more deer then any other rifle. The .30-30 is a great brush gun.

chris

9. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    for a beginer i would recommend a .223,its a great round. if your wanting longer range and can take a bit of a beating go with the 7mm or 270 or if ya can take a good beating go with the 300 mag{one of my favorite rounds.}........i didnt read many of the post and im sure some have already suggested these rounds but oh well lol

10. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I know that we are right in the middle of rifle season here in Oklahoma. I wasn't planning on going til next year. So I should be able to get in plenty of range practice. I'm still not sure what rifle i want as of yet. I was pretty much set on a 30/30 til i heard that they are pretty much a short range weapon. I'm not an overly big guy but i think @180# i can take a bit of a kick. as long as it isn't like an AK47 in full auto I'll be fine. ( was fun to play with in the military) anyways keep the sugestions coming.

11. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i have a rem. 700 springfield 30-06 and wouldn't trade it for nuthin' ....

12. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I myself like the 308.caliber,but i think you can't go wrong with a 270,or 30.06.These two are the most common in my opinion,an most any store will have ammunition for these two,if you get in a tight an need to buy some.
    I've know some people who have forgotten their shellsbefore,not saying it was myself ,well maybe it was! :)
    leakyboat

13. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    well okiecop i think youre getting plenty of suggestions and many of which are quite contradictory. looking at the commonalities it seems the 7 mag keeps showing up and as a "beanfield" rifle such as i mentioned earlier the 7 is an excellent choice. is what i use for long shots hunting highlines.

7 rem mag is very common, meaning that just about any hardware store or outdoor shop will have plenty of ammo in stock. only moderate recoil so it wont punish you after a day at the range, and because it is so common there are a multitude of factory bullet styles to choose from.

one thing i didnt think to consider earler, you mentioned bird hunting.
    if you already have a shotgun, say a rem 870 or a mossberg 500 they make rifled slug barrels that too easily swap out with the existing barrel, take scope mounts, and are highly accurate. plus, with todays modern sabot slugs you can shoot three inch groups at 125 yards. ballistics show (with the newer sabots) that at that range they still maintain massive energy.

going with this option will save you a little money, provide you with an awesome short-mid range deer gun, and it takes less than five minutes to do a barrel swap on one so you can shoot bambi at daylight and pheasant all afternoon.

14. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I need to buy a good rem 870 for bird hunting and also for a duty shotgun. The shotgun I have now is more of a family hierloom and too much to me to be back out hunting with it. It's a an 1893 stevens arms single shot in 16 ga. Mind you my great-grandfather bought this gun brand new and it has been handed down to me from my grandfather. I would rather have a rifle for the deer though.

15. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Hey Okie! Wheres your profile shot of that ugly mug of yours?
    the reat of us "ex" and current ones got ours up.

"AK on full auto" oh yea baby! remember that shoulder beatin well.
    I like a pistol myself. In 454 casuall. but 44 mag will do in a pinch.
    Rifle? 30/30 is a good brush gun. Long distance?
    308(7.62) or 270, or even the ole standby 30,06 if ya can remember the ballilistics.

16. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    All the guns named so far have their place in the field ...

if you like long range shooting you cant beat a 7mm or a 30/06
    for the medium range to long range with stopping power you would go with a 270

for the brush your best bet is the 30/30

everyone has their prefernece BUT you want a gun that your comfortable with and one that your not afraid of .... if your scared to shoot it your not gonna hit anything with it ...

the kind of gun you choose should be suited for the area you hunt ... if you like long shots , or close shots .... but most of all you have to be comfortable with it ...

I have used many rilfles in the past from a 30/30 , a 270 , a 30/06 , a slug gun 12 gauge to the rifle i use now a Ruger Mark II SS Remington 260

I use the 260 because im disabled , its lightweight and it still has the stopping power to down a deer ... I like close shots so I dont take a shot if it will not put the deer down ... Be a safe hunter and a ethical hunter and you will enjoy your hunting season and practice with the rifle that you choose to hunt with and your deer season will be a prosperous one

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wouldnt trade my Savage 30-06 for anything. Love that rifle. But you cant go wrong with a 270 or 7mm mag either. If your thinking about doing any varmint hunting with the rifle I would suggest the 270.

18. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    ok here i am again. I finally made out to a few of the pawn shops and local sporting goods stores yesterday. got a chance to handle several rifles that i liked. think i'm just going to have to wait til after christmas (kids come first) and get a rifle. I have decided on a remington 710 in .270 win. have done a lot of research on this subject. Not to mention all the great advice that i got here. I know I'll probably catch some flack over going with the 270 and not a 7mm or 30-06. But as everyone has said go with what your comfortable with.

I am not too sure that I would want to run a few boxes of rounds down range in a day. The old shoulder isn't what it used to be. But there are things that have to be done.

I like the way the rem 710 felt when i brought it up to my shoulder(was even wearing a bulky jacket when i tried it) it felt comfortable and what the heck the price is right for me. I know it is based off the rem 700 with a few mods. but takeing everything into conderation i think this the gun for me. Once again thank you again brothers for the great advice.

19. Powelljlk

Powelljlk New Member

I primarily shoot my Remington 270. It has great range and accuracy. I also shoot a Omega 50 cal muzzleloader, which is surprisingly accurate up to 175 yards.

Good Luck!!

20. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Something like a .300, 7mm mag, or .270 would be great for the long shots in oklahoma.