beginners deer rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by okiecop, Nov 30, 2005.

1. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I am torn at the moment between two different rifles either a savage package series model 111 in 30-06 or a stevens model 200 in 30-06. I already know they are made by the same company and neither one comes with the accu trigger that savage now has out. The only difference in the two is the color of the stocks black vs. gray. and also the 111 has a detachable magazine to where the 200 has a hidden magazine. any and all advice well be taken and appreciated.

2. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    A hidden magazine is better for extreme condtions which would keep the internal magazine clean, but a detachable one if taken out and dropped in the mud could mess up. You shouldn't worry about that though it never happens and hardly anyone sees conditions like that when deer hunting. You should pick the one that feels best to you and appeals to your eye, and fits your wallet. If possible it wouldnt hurt to fire a few rounds through both, but that aint a major concern. 30-06 is a great deer round. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    When you say black, is it synthetic. Personally, I prefer synthetic over wood because it can take more abuse and holds up better in adverse weather conditions. As far as the mechanism I have no preference other than the fact that a removable clip makes it easier to unloadand safer to carry.

4. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    both have synthetic stocks just in different colors.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im sure either one would make a great deer rifle. I hunt with a savage 110 in 30-06 with the hidden mag. This is just me but I like to keep things as simple as possible. If there is something to lose, drop, or forget I will do it. LOL

I would also suggest replacing the scope on the rifle after a year or two. Mine held up for a year before losing its zero and kept losing it after being sighted in. I put a Bushnell 4x12 sportsman scope and has been on it for years now, without losing its zero. One last thing, if you do replace the scope you may need to get taller rings. On mine the adjustable power is stuck on the rings at 4x. I'll be replacing the rings sometime this year.

6. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Derby thanks for the input. I have a stevens shotgun also. I know that stevens and savage are both good weapons. the savage comes as a package model with scope and sling. the stevens is only drilled and tapped for a scope. neither rifle comes with iron sights.

7. Talon Anderson

Talon Anderson New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hello Okie..

I'm more familiar with the Savage, nice dependable rifle, as far as the DBM never had any problems with one, in fact it adds safety margin to and from the field. (chamber empty, mag removed) It also allows you to carry a/n additional mag/s.

The package deals are a good value and allows one less thing to think about (what scope to buy), you can update your scope later. I will also tell you that Savage's accutrigger system is a very nice addition to thier line if you descide to check them out.

Peace
    Tal~ :cool:

8. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Talon,

Thank for the tip. I am having a hard time trying to find a savage dealer around here. I have found a few model 110's around. And i really like what i have handled so far. I may go and get a used model 110. i found it for just a hair over $300 and I didn't even see a scratch in the stock or the blueing at all. I t had the open sights and was drilleed and tapped for scope mounts. Since I am no expert on stocks I'm not sure if it was solid wood or a laminate but it sure did look great to me.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Ray, I'm not sure if your Super Wal Mart is the same in Grove, but the one on 7 th street in Joplin, MO will order practically any gun you want them to for you.

Another place to check would be Steves Trading Post in Joplin...on south main street, near I 44. Steves probably has the biggest selection of new and used guns around. Theres also a gun shop now in South Town Sporting goods, which is on south main as well. The new Academy store on Rangeline would be a good place to check too. Pittsburg, Kansas has a place called Johns Sporting Goods (On Broadway) that has a big selection of guns...new and used. Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, MO or Broken Arrow, OK would be another good option.

If nothing else...give any of these places a call, and I'd imagine they'll at the very least point you in the right direction.

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    one thing i'd suggest is that if you have any friends that own a gun shop or pawn shop and have their FFL, in fact, your armorer at work may have??? may allow you to keep your money with the little guy instead of the megaconglomerationmart.

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Brian is correct about Wal-mart, they will order just about anything you want to even handguns at least they use to. You will never see a handgun in a display case but when I worked for Wally World many years ago I order lots of stuff for customers that you would never see in the case. Just stop by during 6 to 3 during the weekdays and talked to the dept mgr.

12. Talon Anderson

Talon Anderson New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hello Okie,,

Here (AZ) Walmart requires only 50% non refundable down for special order, then they will also give a 60 day lay-away on the rifle..

Savage rifles are really a great value and very accurate out of the box..
    "Champagne accuracy on a beer budget" :D

Peace
    Tal~ :cool:

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive always heard that savage is the most accurate rifle from the factory. I used to love going to the range for some small friendly shooting contests. The savage usually came out on top compared to anything else including Rem. weatherby, browning or whoever. Custom rifles maybe a different story though. Like Talon said, "Champagne accuracy on a beer budget".

14. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Well i talked to a friend of mine that works at the main warehouse for wal-mart in betonville,ar. He told me that the reason that wal-mart can sell them so cheap is that they are factory seconds. Not sure how true this is tho. It could be just because wal-mart can buy in such large amounts.

Was in steves last friday found a savage 110 in 30-06 w/ synthetic stock plus it had a scope that was in need of replacement. also the firing line in seneca had the one i really like that i mentioned earlier. also found a nice one here in town at a pawn shop. May go to the firing line to buy that one next month. Will have to buy a scope and mounts for it but for an extra $10 i can shoot as many rounds as i want to buy. anyway I'll see what is left over after x-mas.

Catcaller i went to academy in joplin and they won't even order me one. I was told that what they have is all they are going to get.