Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I are avid bass fishermen and have occasionally tried our hand at catfishing with no such luck. I was wondering if there were any tips for equipment, baits and locations that would be able to get us pointed in the right direction.

· Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the usca, Shawn, the gear you use to bass fish will get you started. unless you after the big one, in that case you will need heaver gear. Catfishing can be very simple
a worm and a hook, or it can get a litle more complated. Look arount here on the usca webb site and there are lots of articles and posts about lots of different ways to fish,
keep posting here on the Kansas site and you will meet some very good catfishermen and
and learn a lot :glasses-nerdy:

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Shawn welcome to the site...Like roger surf around the site you will find lots on info to get you
started.

Also we are having our Mega gathering on June 4-5-6 at Melvern lake.
You would meet about 100 members and some of the best Catmen in the state.
There will be someone there that fishes about every body of water in our state.
You will learn and get more tips in that weekend than you could learn in a yr on you own.

Hope you can make it.....!!

· Registered
8,123 Posts
What they said Shawn!! Welcome from me also.
Hope you can make it to the gathering. Good bunch of guys and ladies for sure!!

· Registered
716 Posts
welcome to the site Shawn

I would use fresh shade cut into 2 inch pieces, chicken live, worms for bait. Fish the bottom, and look for structure just like with bass. I love brush piles for cats. city lakes are great places to start.

· Registered
2,833 Posts
these guys dont know nothin i tell ya. all ya need is the rods ya got, hotdogs & shad tails and yer in the money. if ya like fishin lakes then get ya some WD-40 and spray on yer bait, feeding frenzy. on rivers for flatheads use newborn kittens but make sure ya keep their heads out of the water. they stay alive longer. also if yer gonna be serious about catfishin then disregard what i just said.:tongue::laugh:

seroiosly though, just read, read, read and when yer done readin...... read some more on here. good luck and if yer in topeka give me a holler and i'll see if i can get ya on somethin on the Kaw. welcome to the U.S.C.A. brother.

· Registered
450 Posts
Welcome to the BOC, USCA Shawn.

You need coffee/bear, one nightcrawler that won't die or a whole lot of them that do and 20 lb. test line with about 10 or 12 lb. leader. This if for eaters (catfish that weight 2 lb. to 7 lbs.). It helps to have a pillow also and the most important thing is 'patience' or 'patient'.

1. Bearing or enduring pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance with calmness.
Marked by or exhibiting calm endurance of pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance.
Tolerant; understanding: an unfailingly patient leader and guide.
Persevering; constant: With patient industry, she revived the failing business and made it thrive.

Capable of calmly awaiting an outcome or a result; not hasty or impulsive.

6. Capable of bearing or enduring pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance: "My uncle Toby was a man patient of injuries" (Laurence Sterne).

· Registered
7,332 Posts
these guys dont know nothin i tell ya. all ya need is the rods ya got, hotdogs & shad tails and yer in the money. if ya like fishin lakes then get ya some WD-40 and spray on yer bait, feeding frenzy. on rivers for flatheads use newborn kittens but make sure ya keep their heads out of the water. they stay alive longer. also if yer gonna be serious about catfishin then disregard what i just said.:tongue::laugh:

seroiosly though, just read, read, read and when yer done readin...... read some more on here. good luck and if yer in topeka give me a holler and i'll see if i can get ya on somethin on the Kaw. welcome to the U.S.C.A. brother.

If you go with JJ to the Kaw,all you will need is a good Lawyer...he!he!

Sorry JJ i just had to do it,.,

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to join you guys for the catfishing weekend in June. Unfortunately I will be in Myrtle Beach for some well needed vacation. Are there any other events that I should keep an open calendar for?

Also, thank you guys for the tips with equipment. I've been trolling the forums like crazy the past couple days before I posted my thread. It's very interesting to see how many different ways there are all to accomplish the same goal. Catch a catfish.

I read that natural bait is one of the best techniques, but is there a special way of aquiring this bait?

· Registered
2,240 Posts
Here in Kansas and about everywhere else shad are the main food for cats in our lakes, learn
to throgh a cast net to catch them (something I'm not good at), I fish for eaters ( 3-5 lbs) and use dip bait, I like secreat 7 and sonnys , If you after flats live bait blue gills,goldfish,
cut bait, the boc folks love to get together, we do it 2 to 3 times a year, I haven't seen any plans for the fall but keep looking and we will put togerther something this fall or late summer

· Registered
1,052 Posts
My buddy and I are avid bass fishermen and have occasionally tried our hand at catfishing with no such luck. I was wondering if there were any tips for equipment, baits and locations that would be able to get us pointed in the right direction.
welcome !, and whatever you did to catch that catfish in your avatar seems to be working just fine lol

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Considering the tackle and talents that you folks have now, a good sized swimbait
with some Gulp crawdad scent sprayed on it might hook you up on cats if you troll
the rip-rap face of the dam on most impoundments in Kansas. Troll slow and see
what you scare up. Some folks have caught good sized cats using this trick. Cats
are sight feeders, too in the right surroundings. Might have to put up with wipers
and walleyes jumping on, but they taste pretty good and put up a decent fight.
The trolling trick works with a shad side on a crawler rig with the beads and prop
spinner up front, too. Cats will chase a short distance, too, the scent just confirms
the target for their final approach. Not sending you on a snipe hunt, this is a legit
way of finding cruising blues and flatheads on the rip-rap.

· Registered
2,240 Posts
Its just a gathering, we all get together a coulpe of times a year, go to the posts on the gathering here and on the gathering section

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.