Beginner Questions!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by L2druid, Aug 21, 2009.

1. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, let me introduce myself. I'm Heather and I live in Clinton, IL ( central IL ). My fiance and I have just gotten more serious about fishing ( dad has been taking me fishing since I can remember, but fiance went only rarely and only caught small fish in colorado ).

I have always been a big fan of fishing, especially for cats! We go fishing mostly at Clinton lake, but will widen our selection later. We mostly bankfish, and most of the areas we can access are heavily fished and usually occupied. Been lookin for a boat to get to some nicer and less frequented areas. Would a jon boat do well at clinton lake? With that flat bottom, wouldn't it be a little rough out on the open water? Do any of you fish cats by wading or are they easily spooked/ or settle quickly?

Not afraid to get in there and wade/swim to a good area-that snapper in my avatar I caught by hand when we were swimming in a cove, haha. Wasn't the first one either. Nothing like seeing the look on someone's face when you pull one of those cuties out of the water!

Anyway, we have swam around some areas in that lake that have steep drop-offs right off the bank with tons of logs and debris we ended up tripping over and I want to fish these but we'd have to get in the water to get to these places. Sorry for probably asking such a dumb question, first of all...But we found what seemed like a good deal and bought new setups. Bought two Okuma Stratus XTS spinning reels and two medium-heavy ugly stik rods ( never used spinning reels before ).

We had been using dads old spincaster 808's, and despite him loving them to death-he's an antique nut-they just weren't cutting it for me anymore like when I was a kid, too old, and not reliable, nothing like hooking something big and having the thing lock up. One Okuma reel is 40 and the other is a 55, 12lb and 15lb respectively.

I read somewhere that you can put fireline on a spinning reel and exceed the lb test. Is that true? I wanted something that could handle a decent sized flattie if we were to hook one, but I don't want to tear up our reels.

Thanks in advance and expect more questions from me! I'm so glad I found this place, I've been immersed in all the information here and have barely scratched the surface.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Heather welcome to the BOC. I am not familiar with the reels you mentioned
    but some one on here will be able to help you. There is a section on reels.
    Good luck to you and your fiance and good fishing.

3. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks! Wasn't sure where I should post this, as I had a few questions and didn't want to make a bunch of threads. So a mod can move it if need be I guess.

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    :0a25:to the BOC heather! stick around, theres more to learn about catfishing than you could ever imagine, on here.. ive been hunting them big cats all my life, and still learned ALOT of valuable info right here on this site!

5. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Welcome Heather

I am new here myself, but I can tell you that I really like the ugly stick I bought for my son last month when his old real broke.

My dad as a 808 that no one in our family uses any more. He really did not like it, but he is a fly fisherman. He started fly fishing about 40 years ago and still does a little. I also fly fish, but usually only in the spring for trout and small mouth.

I use a spinning reel and really like it. They are great starter.

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Heather and welcome to the BOC. I'm sure that someone who's familiar with your set up will respond and get you started in the right direction. Congrats on your upcoming nupts. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

7. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    as stated above, there is a reel section http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

go ahead and make a post in there on the type of reels you are you using, and im confident that someone on here can give you more answers specific to that reel. :wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Heather Welcome to the BOC/SOC, from the southern part of your state. Enjoyed your post and send you some mojo to get you started. Looking forward to reading of your future fishing trips.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome Heather..You came to the right place for the info you seek..About the line though yes you can exceed the reel capacity by using braid because most reels are rated for mono and braid is a lot thinner than mono..Check out the member library too for tons of great info..

10. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    welcome to the greatest website on the internet,honestly i have no expierence with okuma spinning reels,i have 3 baitcasting okuma reels and they are the best reels i have ever usedso i expect the spinning reels are just as good,sounds like you have a really good set up now not sure on taking flat bottom on that lake might not be safe.hope you catch some nice ones good luck

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    First of all, welcome to the BOC!!! Second your finance' is a lucky man to find a pretty girl that likes to fish and play with snapping turtles....

when i use spinning reels with braid i always go up in line weight and set the drag accordingly...

i dont know about the boat thing i have never seen the lake you are talking about...in my experience though if you have a gas motor you can take a jon boat about any inland lake...in saying that i wouldn't take one on Erie and try to get to Canada on a windy day....see what im saying... if a flat bottom wont due, a v bottom should do the trick for most lakes and cost about the same...something to look into...i have taken my 15 foot flat bottom jon boat out in small creeks and the large lakes in my area...

12. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Welcome to the BOC.You came to the right place to get any info on catfishing you need.Some others from your area can probably help you with the fishing questions.The reel questions can be answered in the reel forum.Enjoy the site.

13. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    welcome. do you have a sister? lol jk. if its a small, medium lake and your lesser fished spots arent a country mile, a decent john boat with a little motor should be perfect. as for rods and reels, ugly sticks are a good choice and a spin cast type reel is good for anybody. i have three and i have two with 14 lb fireline which is in 6lb diameter and one with 20lb in 8lb diameter. i swear by fireline now, its really good stuff. small, strong, low memory, and can handle the pressure. now you do need to watch exceeding what your rod and reel can handle. i generally set my drag not because the line cant handle it.(i know it can). but you dont want to overload your reel or snap your rod. its one of the only things you can be sure not to fail. just a tip tho. if you do go with fireline, be sure to spool 1/3 with mono because i made the mistake of spooling 100% fireline, and whe line itsself turned on the spool. not enough drag to hold it from spinning. the mono will stop that. good luck and catch a good one.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    heather if you found thoes logs and drop offs wading it sounds to me like a good place to float a live perch just above the logs.if theres any flatheads there you should connect.if no flatheads just down size your bait and you should catch some channels or blues if they there.

15. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcome to the BOC I would put some 80# power pro barid on it its only 18# mono diameter.

17. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lol Mac. I don't have a sister, but I have a single brother! Want his number? :p

Thanks so much everyone for the help and kind words. I will definitely try to get in that brush and try my hand at em, if I can reach it that is. Rigged up with a slip bobber now, I really like how you can adjust the depth whenever you want. Growing up seeing and doing nothing but constant on-the-bottom fishing, it's fun to do it a different way. Now to get my brother into the mindset that catfish don't always bite on the bottom. Read somewhere that the best places to catfish are the places you get snagged the most.

80lb test! That's really high, is it necessary with my little 20lb pole? I guess if one of those decent ones got hung up on something or scraped the line up alot it wouldn't snap. I had a nice channel the other day get wrapped up around a stump or something and really thought I'd lose him but he came around after a minute or two. I don't think I'd come across anything that big..then again, is it good to be prepared? That'd be annoying when it needed to be broken in a snag.

As for the boat thing, the lake is decent sized, I don't want to risk it. Going to avoid a john boat. My dad has a small V bottomed boat that needs some work, but it's salvageable-I hope.

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Heather, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.

19. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    the 80# line might be a bit much,if you get snagged in your spot you might pul the logs in trying to break your line lol,good idea to go with the v bottom.