Beginner Muzzy

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by elklover1964, Feb 11, 2008.

1. elklover1964

elklover1964 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This last deer hunting season was my first ever using a muzzy....I finally went and purchased my CVA Optima (with thumbhole stock)....mounted a scope on it, sighted it in and away I went.....Here in Iowa I always used shotgun. I can tell you I will never deer hunt with a shotgun again.....All I do is stand hunt and compaired to the past, it was a very productive year....1 buck, 2 does.....and them tenderloins marrinaded and wraped in bacon and roasted on a rack till 150 degrees are awesome.....

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've always used a muzzeloader for our Iowa hunting trips too, but I think I'm going to look in to a one of those Beretta 390's from Walmart. My dad has one and bought a Hastings Rifled Paradox slug barrel for his, but he always uses his Omega in Iowa. He said I can have the slug barrel if I buy a Beretta 390 for myself.

There's a big corn field I like hunting by and there's been a number of times where a bunch of deer come running by and I take a shot at a big doe or something and then a big ol buck comes flying up behind them. I'm not looking forward to the added recoil though, that's for sure. :eek:oooh:

3. elklover1964

elklover1964 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I do have a favorite spot here in Iowa. It is down toward the end of a dirt road, just before it ends there is a pretty wide creek with a wooden bridge over it, and the road ends about 100 years past the bridge. I hunt before the bridge because all the land on the other side is all posted and they give NO ONE permission to hunt it. So I sit about 60 yards up creek from the bridge along the fence row between the creek and a small corn field. I know when they are coming in because it never fails.....they always come across the bridge and into "my" corn field to feed. I found this spot just driving around one day and after stopping at the nearest farmhouse, I did get permission to hut all the property the owner has....What a score. I have only ran into one other hunter who has permission that I know of....it turns out it was my son. :big_smile: Glad he hunts other areas of the property!!!
    I have thanked the land owner and even shared the wealth.....building what is hopefully a good hunter, farmer relationship. I am greatful for the oppertunity to hunt private land, and in return the landowner seemed greatful for the removal of a few deer and a little extra venison on the table.
    Remember everyone....Hunting other people land is a privilege, and getting harder to come by. Please treaat it as such. Thanks for reading my rambling.
    Hunting Rocks!!!!!!!!!!

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Paul, you will enjoy using the muzzleloader! I guess if you do your homework either the shotgun or muzzleloader will have a pretty good range (some folks shoot deer at 200+ yds with both!) I personally enjoy ML season, and would limit my shots to 75 or so yards, cause I havent spent a ton of time fine tuning my set-up! My longest shot where I currently hunt is about 70yards!:wink:

5. elklover1964

elklover1964 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Your right Billy, I do enjoy it very much. I have taken 3 deer with my Muzzy already and cannot hardly wait for next deer season.
    The longest shot so far was about 60 yards, the other two were about 25-30 yards each...not bad for sitting on the ground behind a tree....using the wind to my advantage.:wink:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations Paul, Sounds like you have found a good spot to hunt as well. I also hunt some private land locally and as you stated it is a privalige that I don't take for granted. As Grimpuppy stated to me one time Hunting spots are more sacred than catfishing honey holes :smile2:. I've used muzzloaders for about 30 years and it is a lot of fun. That tender loin wrapped in bacon makes me hungry:big_smile:.