beginner flathead catfisher

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishing is fun, Dec 3, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i know when you fish flatheads you use live bait but what rigs do you use for it, can i use standard caralina rigs??

thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Using a carolina rig for flatheads is definetly a good option. You can use any form of sliding sinker above your main swivel. I use a flatbank sinker fastened to a snap swivel above a bead for my slide rig. A three way swivel is a good way in fast currents such as the Mississippi river and missouri river. Livebait is a good option with live shad, bluegill being good options. Don't rule out cutbaits in spring and fall though. I have caught several good flatheads on cut skipjack and shad. Threading a 3-5" threadfin(yellowtail here in KY)shad on a 7/0 khale is a good way in the spring. Good luck. If you need more help just ask.

3. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes you can use a caralina rig. I use a rig like that but I use a 2 or 3 oz lead sinker for my weight. That is for river fishing, a smaller one would get you by in a pond or a lake. I also put a #6 nail in the weight hole and flaten it out with a hammer and then pull out the nail to stop the weight from rolling around in the current. I use 3/0 and 4/0 kahle hooks but any good hook will do the job as long as it's sharp.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Caught all my flatheads using the carolina rig no matter what the bait is.

5. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    Good Luck To Ya Dont Get Discouraged Catfishing Is A Waiting Game.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Started on using only live baits now its almost all my Yellows are off cut baits and I get about 3 times more fish with the cut on the Ohio River.

Opinion: If/when u keep a LIVE bait off the bottom it will move around alot more and attact attention to its self.

If tons of snags in an area u may want to use breakaway sinkers.

Plz go to the Library under rigs, baits, Flatheads etc etc and read read read.

:smile: