Beginner catfisherman

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by catfishing is fun, Jul 25, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I was wondering were some good catfishing spots were around springfield, also what type of bait, and rigs to use, thanks, Marshall

2. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I don't know that specific area but I do know that I have always produced better with live bait or cut shad and I do like foul smelling chicken livers. Look for eddies, holes, and structure and fish, fish, fish you will figure out the right combo for that area.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I dont know that area real well myself either. As far as rigs you should be able to find just about anything you need to know on this website. Welcome to the BOC. Its a great place to find information and meet lifelong friends. Glad to have you on board.

4. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm pretty sure Lake Springfield has a decent population of channel cats. I'd try using chicken liver, worms, or a live bluegill for bait and fish on or near the bottom. In my opinion they usually bit best in the evening or after dark. I'd use at least 10 pound test good quality line. Good luck! Chris

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

6. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am also new and while I cannot give much advice I can tell you that in my opinion you have come to the right place. I have only been on this site a week or so but each day I am more impressed by not only the sharing of information on fishing but also the genuine concern that members (brothers) have for one another. Welcome!

7. sherdan

sherdan New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Missouri
    Welcome and I too believe that Lake Springfield has some channels in it. From Springfield you're about 45 minutes from Pomme de Terre or about 1 1/2 hrs from either LOZ or Truman Lake. All 3 of these lakes have great channel cat fishing and if you're looking for flatheads or blues LOZ and Truman are the places to go. As far as baits go shad or cut shad always seems the best for me. Places to check, well channel cats like flats and riffles, blues and flatheads will feed in the shallows and flats or backs of coves but likes to have deeper water nearby. For more info read some of the posts in Missouri lakes \ reservoirs the guys usually post some really good info on what's happening on the different lakes. You can learn alot for some of these folks, I have.

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net! Don't know about your area but you will get more info soon, you have come to the right place.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My luck changed for the better when I followed the advice here on BOC and began using natural baits. Bought a little 3.5 ft mono castnet, sometimes even get in a decent throw, and get all the bait I need, mostly small sunfish and shad. Just Monday, fishing in the daytime in 2-6 ft of water, I caught ten from my kayak, lost two others. The largest one I caught was a 5 pounder, the others ranged from 1.5 to 4 lbs. Just pay attention here, you'll learn.

10. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    hi everybody thanks for the tips and also i feel retarded not putting this on the first post but i dont (yet) own a boat

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC both of the new brothers.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC,Its a great place to be.

13. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Marshall:

beings that you are fishing from the bank, The advice given here about Springfield Lake was good, There is a lot of Channel cats in that lake, It has been a few years but I used to go down and fish it when I never felt like getting my boat out. Springfield lake is on the South side of town. Just get a map and go down by the Power Plant that is beside the lake. When you go in there you will cross a small dam on the road going in and just keep going til you are in front of the Power Plant, There is some parking right there. Go out to the Lake right there near some trees and cast out. I have caught several nice Channels right there. Use Cut up pieces of Bluegill , worms, cut shat if you can get it and you will catch some I am sure.

Good luck;

Gene

14. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    im definetly goin to that spot but i just snaped my rod earlier tonite, now i got to save some money and buy a new one

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Frist of all WELCOME to the BOC ,you have just run accrossed the best people in the world,least I think so. Lots of info on here.
    Second place don't feel bad a lot of us our stuck on the bank trying to catch the big one. just listen to what these folks tell you and you'll go a long way in fishing for ole whiskers. Again WELCOME to the family MARSHELL.hope you stay around for a long,long time. GOD BLESS!!

16. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey its ok u dont need a boat to catch big cats.
    as far as bait goes cut bait with guts in it, liver, night crawlers are some good starters.

17. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    Welcome to the BOC, all the info you need is on here. My Dad always told me "THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DONT ASK". Good luck to ya.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You guys just created a memory spark somewhere in the deep recesses of my pea sized brain. LOL. Lake springfiels has Blue CAts too. I fished the Bass Pro Catfish tourney a few months back and I know for a fact that they "transplanted" several dozen blue cats between 2 and 35 pounds to Lake Springfield to reestablish that fishery. Give that place 10 years and it will be world class. The IL DOC, and Ken Freeman, the gentleman that ran the tournament, are working hand in hand to bring a healthy blue cat population back to Lake Springfield. Hope this helps. :big_smile: