Beginner carp fishing tools and rigs

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Dust, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    I wanted to put together a simple parts list for my carp fishing so far. This is to help new people. I will provide links to Ebay to what I personally ordered, or similar items. I will not link to things that can be purchased at Walmart or "locally"

Stage 1

I started carp fishing in the way many have before, using a method feeder. I started with lightweight method feeders because my first rod and reel was a walleye combo from Walmart.

I cut a 12-15inch length of flourocarbon to attach to the swivel inside the method feeder, and a surgeon's loop at the other end. That way I could easily remove the method feeders instead of having 15-35g bouncing off the rod. To the other end of the swivel, I tie a #6 curved shank hook with braid into a KD rig. On the hair, or the looped end sticking out behind the hook, I attach a piece of fake corn, and use a boilie stop to keep the fake corn from sliding off. The hooklength should be between 3-5 inches. Feel free to experiment.

The tools you will need, or that will in the least be very advantageous are these. From left to right, is a knot puller, a gated baiting needle, a baiting needle, and a drill. You can use the baiting needle to puncture the fake corn, and hook it onto the hair. It's also great for tying small surgeon's loops. The gated baiting needle can be used for more fragile things, like real corn, or small edible things as the gated baiting needle uses smaller wire than the baiting needle.

Stage 2
    After fishing with method feeders for a while, i decided I wanted to cast farther. So, in place of the method feeder, I starting using PVA bags. I purchased these, and also this tool seen in the previous video. I used the same flourocarbon leader, and used the same hooklength. With PVA bags, you will need to use a PVA friendly (read low water content) bait, but can prepare them before going out, and store them. It will also allow you to inject liquids, like oils, honey, liquid deer attractants or even strawberry jam, into the bags after they are finished using a marinade injector.

If something above needs more explanation, please feel free to post and I will add links or whatever else is needed.

2. Fishbones

Fishbones Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Nick
    Do you live in England? Your making fishing more of a pain in the ass than an enjoyable sport. Simplify it or you'll go nuts and confused. Get yourself a medium heavy glass spinning or casting rod, a decent reel, and a can of corn or dough bait and enjoy the day. LOL

prlwng likes this.

3. prlwng

prlwng Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    Simple hook, small sinker, 10 to 20 lb line. Walleye set up will work for rod and reel.

Keep it simple. The corn, corn mixed with worms, or my favorite,, corn soaked in coke. Have also caught eater channels on this when fishing for carp. Bullheads, drum, about anything else that passes by. If you keep getting taps and bait steals go to a real small hook, like 10 of so, and catch the creek chubs. Those are very good cat bait.

Have caught many 20 lb plus carp on this. A ton of 2 to 10 lb ones. Great when ya got the young unsure out as a big carp is a wonder to them. You just stuff them in back o f pickup then cut them up for bait that night.

Trapper-steve and Fishbones like this.
  4. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    I don't think using a method-feeder fits with how I fish, but after watching this vid;

I can see how it would be a valuable tool in someone's arsenal, especially when bank fishing.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. Fishbones

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Nick
    That will work. One place I go has 25 to 40+ lb carp in an old flagstone quarry. I like a stiffer spinning rod for them. Bobber fishing for em off of sheer cliff drop offs makes for a fun day.

6. Fishbones

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Nick
    Yes it works. Also going to the place you want to fish and spreading a can or two of corn out every day for a week will get you plenty of fish to boot.

Look at all the gear this poor soul is got with him. Plus they usually have a small tent to pitch if it rains! They drag a cart of equipment around. I admire their love for carp fishing. But the British take it to the extreme because of limited resources and great fishing pressure. The KISS method works better here I believe.

7. Zigarro

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    That's why I said it wasn't for me, but there are those who enjoy getting technical in their hobby and the Brits have such lousy weather much of the year so they have the time to get into all this prep.

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kevin
    I’m a big fan of keeping it simple so I’ve taken some of their techniques and dialed it back a bit. I use an in-line method lead and a simple pack bait, usually oats and grits, or panko bread crumbs with jello and corn. Then I use a #6 gamakatsu hump back carp hook with a hair rig baited with either sweet corn or prepared field corn. This has worked really good and I don’t feel like I’m bringing my whole house with me. I’m also a fan of bite alarms too.

pikeintheboat and Zigarro like this.
  9. Josey1965

Josey1965 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Josey
    It really depends on how they are biting.

I do the Euro methods when the bite is tough. If they are really hungry, sometimes I don't even bother with hair rigs.

Carp fishing can get as crazy and goofy as any other kind of fishing. Tons of gadgets and gear to spend your money and time on.

I use method leads sometimes, pva bags at others and sometimes just a tiny hook, a single split shot and a single kernal of corn. You would be surprised at the size of fish that will take a single kernal of corn.

I have fun and that's all that matters.

SpecialK and Zigarro like this.
  10. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Keep in mind that there are several ways of fishing. I could catfish with a j hook, a can of worms I dug up and a cane pole. But I use circle hooks with good rods and strong reels. I put a bobber or balloon on my leader occasionally. I drag baits, drift baits or just put them on the bottom. To me, Dust is just writing down what he thinks may be a better rig to use than just a hook with a piece of corn on it. I use hair rigs and method feeders and on occasion dissolving bags to deliver chum right where my bait is.

I don't look at it that Dust is making it a pain. He is mentioning an option. Some like just the basics and some enjoy playing around with new stuff.

tight lines

11. Spideyjg

Spideyjg Active Member

State:
    California
    Name:
    Jim
    Brits are fishing heavy pressure for really smart fish. Nobody really targets them out here so they are easier to catch than the UK.

Doesn't hurt to read what they do. Waaaaaayyy down the rabbit hole as it may be.

Jim

Fishbones and Zigarro like this.
  12. Zigarro

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Aye!

13. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Crappie fishing has gotten pretty crazy too. It's not just carp.

14. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Which is cool. If someone wants to get way off into something that is not detrimental to society more power to em. And they are helping someone make a living.

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kevin
    For that matter even all the methods and techniques to catch catfish have evolved. I started with nightcrawlers and a 1/0 hook. I say to each his own and the bottom line is to have fun and catch fish and take care of our resources.

16. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Do poeple still use big red and cornflakes?

17. Fishbones

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Nick
    You mean people don't use nightcrawlers anymore. Or 1/0 hooks. Worms are still good, the 1/0 hooks for small cats are still OK. You can still catch big cats on small hooks as long as your using a circle hook so you don't gut hook em on a regular hook. Hooks have evolved and fishing line has, reels, rods granted. I use smaller circle hooks on smaller cats so I don't put a cats eye out on the hook set.

Perhaps if Dust had started off his post describing it as beginners guide to Coarse and Match fishing for Carp it would have been a better title. No beginner needs most of that stuff for basic carp fishing.

I know some people who still swear by Big Red and cornflakes or Wheaties. All your boiled field corn and mullet is good I guess, but a can of corn or Wheaties is less expensive, less time consuming and simply edible if you get hungry. Don't get me started on Boilies, that's another mess entirely, you might as well become a chemist. This way Dr. Frankenstein.

18. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I am not sure why those that disagree with the thread Dust wrote think it is so wrong. I only started carp fishing two years ago so I guess I am a beginner and I have all of these tools and have used PVA bags, boiled field corn and boilies. These materials cost a little of nothing so there is not a huge expense and it works much better than a piece of canned corn on a bent bobby pin.

I noticed that just has not replied to your ragging on his post because it is not what you would do but it was not written about what you do. Dust also picked the thread name he wanted which seems fine to me.

In my opinion, Dust wrote a good thread about how to use currently available methods to catch carp. Maybe even more carp than a just a piece of corn on a 1/0 hook.

Josey1965 and crcanter like this.
  19. Josey1965

Josey1965 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Josey
    The more you know, the more fish you are going to catch. It's really that simple.

Like I said above, I use the European tools and techniques and baits quite often. It helps insure against the dreaded blank.

It could also be that some people do not leave the house with the intention of targeting carp. Carp might be their consolation prize.

I often go out the door with a car load of gear to specifically target big carp. The stuff Dust has outlined are good ways to catch fish and might be something others have not heard about or experienced.

You can go all in or not with the gear and baits and "stuff". I do know that you can catch fish when no one else is with these tips and techniques. I do it quite often.