BEGINER NEEDS HELP. Fishing Line Setup

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jc_262002, Oct 4, 2005.

1. jc_262002

jc_262002 New Member

State:
    Austin, TX
    I just recently became intrested in fishing/catfishing and have been doing alot of reading on the subject and am having a hard time figuring out the best way to set up a line for the best results. I've seen people suggest everything, three way setup to sinker first with hook above attached directly to the main line, can I get some feedback on a good setup that has been proven time and again by reel catches. PLEASE BE AS SPECIFIC AS POOSIBLE SO I CAN GET A GOOD IDEA OF HOW TO SET ONE UP MYSELF.

2. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Carolina rig is easy and affective. You make or by a leader. that is line with a hook on it. SLip a egg sinker onto you fishing line then a red beed, tie on a swivel then conect the leader to the other end of the swivel..Wallah

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Different rigs were developed to solve specific problems or give specific advantages. The Carolina rig is a very good, popular rig, but I don't use it much because it puts the bait right on the bottom; also, when the sinker hangs up, you break off the whole rig. I prefer a rig that allows me to have two hooks at different distances above the bottom, and lets me have a reasonable chance of breaking off only the sinker when I get hung up. So, I put the sinker at the end of the line and scrape the line lightly with a knife just above the sinker to weaken it. I put two dropper loops above the sinker at various distances to attach two hooks. Why two hooks? If the bait is stolen from one hook, there's still bait on the other; I can have two different baits at the same time to see what the cats are hitting; and I have the two hooks at different depths in the water.

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Thsres many different setups. If ya check out"imformtive member articles" you'll find a bunch of different setups. I use a carolinia setup a lot.
    It's a sliding sinker on the main line,followed by a bead, then a swivel. To the other end of swivel,tir on your line / leader with bait hook.
    Welcome to the world of catfishing

5. jc_262002

jc_262002 New Member

State:
    Austin, TX
    when using multiple lines on a setup how do you keep it from causing big tangles when you cast out?

6. catfishpena

catfishpena New Member

Where you fish has a lot to do with the rig you use. I fish a spillway with a fast current and lots of snags. I use a three way swivel with a 6-8" leader (50 lbs test) to my hook (5/0 circle) and a 12-18" leader (3-6 lbs test) to my sinker (pyramid style). The lighter test line allows for me to just lose the weight when I get hung up. As long as one leader is longer than the other, casting is no problem. By the way, I have started snelling my hook which seems to increase my hook-ups. Good luck!

7. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I have always been a carolina rig man myself. Starting from the end of the line hook followed by a 18-24" leader then a barrell swivel, above the barrell swivel a sliding egg sinker (the size depends on the water you are fishing)

For beginning fisherman the best piece of advice i can give is simple. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. Every one on here has put in our time on the water and everyone on here has been skunked at one time or another. Be prepared to have to put in time to learn the water oyu are fishing and the fish you are fishing for and it will all pay off i the end.

-brian

8. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    When all else fails, just put a hook on the line with enough pinch weights to cast it out and have fun. Use some minnows or whatever you have handy and just go out and do it. Fishing is a simple thing to do. Its when you do it too much that it gets complicated. (hey, thats a good saying)

9. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Nick, the more you go the more you know.
    I have fished and caught more this year than ever because I have the time.
    If you are near any city lakes or ponds they will stock them regularly with farm raised fish. We have a fish stock hot line! Either rigs above will catch fish. Talk to those friendly fishermen were ever you are they love to share. Throw every bait at them shrimp, hot dog, liver, worms, stink. Think outside the box a wieght is a wieght old washers and nuts, old sparkplugs work great for end of the tight line and thier cheap. I have a thirty inch rod with a zebco 33 and bucket quick and easy when ever the itch takes hold. I may only fish two hours but it beats the boob tube.
    Good luck catch ya later let us know how it go's

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    There Are Many Ways To Set Up As Every One Has Said. Different Cats Like Baits Different Ways. And Then Where You Fish You May Have Different Ways Deep Water, Low Water, Fast Water . I Use A Slip Rig Above A Swivel With A Sinker Hooked To It With About 8" Of Line. From The Swivel I Make Up Leaders Out Of 100# Spiderwire About 12 To 18" Long Then My Hook Different Baits Different Hooks.
    Anywhere From 1/0 To 10/o. If Your Missing Alot Of Fish Go To Smaller Bait And Or Hook Size.

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    As far as the mess goes I will cast one out in front of me and one to either side of me if I am fishing from shore. If from a boat I will drop 1 down near the bottom and 1 up of the bottom on a sliding float system then cast 2 out one on each side of the boat. This will allow you to cover more water and different depts. So you stand a better chance of catching fish as well as locating them.

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    By the way welcome to the site and there are a lot of good points in the post above mine with lots of good ideas. But if I were you I would follow the advice ok Keit sword and looking into reading some of the post in the Information section. You will find a lot of very good information there and a hole of of inportant info as well.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i use the carolina rig most of the time. i use it with no rolls bank sinkers and egg. the banks seem to hang up the most while drifting.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Here is what I do, and that means nothing!! LOL!!

Bank fishing or anchored:
    5/0 circle hook, then 18" leader, heavy snap-swivel, leader line tied off to swivel and main line tied to other end of swivel, 1-2 oz. weight attached to snap

Drifting or trolling:
    5/0 circle hook, then 18"-24" leader with "crappie cork" attached 8" above hook, heavy snap-swivel. Tie leader off to swivel and tie the main line to the other end of swivel. Add a 3/4-1 ounce "worm weight" weight to snap.

The "worm weight" as I call it is a piece of shoelace or parachute cord with buckshot inside for weight. They are burned shut on the ends with a cigarette lighter and then attached to the snap on a snap-swivel by pushing the wire through the cord marterial. These "worm weights" are less likely to snag when drifting or trolling.

The cork on the leader helps to float the bait 8"-10" off the bottom and allows an easier strike. You can use the crappie corks with a slit in them if you want to be able to remove them in case you switch to anchored or bank fishing.

Big bait and big hooks mean big fish, so I would suggest at least a 4/0 hook and don't be afraid to go up to 7/0 or 8/0. There is no exact size between manufacturers, so you will have to use your judgement when picking a hook.

I have caught 15 pound Blues on a 5/0, and I caught a small Channel cat that was less than a pound the other day. The majority of the fish I catch are in the 3-6 pound range and the 5/0 hooks are perfect. Obviously if you are targeting and catching larger cats then a larger hook is a must.

15. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    There is a lot of good info here, and all of it you should eventually learn and add to your arsenal of fishing knowledge. A couple of people referred to keeping it simple.. well that’s the best advice anyone could give a beginner.

I know so many bloody rigs, knots, variations and gimmicks that I've honestly forgotten half of what I've learned over the years... in about 10years time you'll be the same way.

The "best" way to set up your line is the way that’s going to lay some foundation for you. What I mean is, 99% of all the rigs mentioned are in some way related to the Carolina rig... so learn that one first.. and don’t be afraid to make your own modifications!

I attached a pic of a very basic Carolina rig.. in the pic there is a Carolina stopper used to stop the lead, on your rig you'll use a knot. Always use a bead between a knot in the line and a sliding sinker...this protects the knot from the impact of the lead sliding around.
    I also attached a pic of a very common rig called a “fish finder”...there is nothing unique or different about it, other than you attach your sinker via some sort of boom or just a plain swivel (for what it's worth this IS a Carolina rig, the name "fish finder" is the name of the little sliding snap that holds the lead, thus "fish finder rig"). To recreate this rig with common tackle, thread your line through the free eye of the swivel (so the snap hangs down freely) then put a bead on the line (remember were going to attach some lead to the swivel so we want a buffer between the hard steel and the knot, plus this bead will stop your lead from sliding down on your hook and bait) and lastly you can now attach a barrel swivel to attach your leader to.. or you can just blood knot your leader (I prefer the swivel so when the fish spins and flops it doesn’t add twist to you line).

So you can see how one “rig” is related to another… and another.. and so on!

From these two rigs and the knowledge of the knots needed.. you can learn or replicate nearly anything out there... you might have to learn a new knot (like the dreaded bimini haha) but you can literally modify these rigs into just about anything discussed here on the board.

Attached Files:

16. jc_262002

jc_262002 New Member

State:
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions I'll be trying them out this weekend.

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    JC, I use the three way rig. I tie off the main line(80pd) with a three way swivel using the polomar knot. On one side of the of the three way i tie off a weight on 30 pound mono as most of the time its the weight getting hung up. I use 30 to break off so i don't loose my expensive braid. The other side of the three way i use 24 to 30 inches of 80 pd braid and tie off a hook with the polomar knot.

Learn your knots. I was knot ignorant earlier this year and have had three real good fish break me off. The knot will cut into the line making it fail!!! The polomar knot is Super Simple and is highly effective. Just type polomar knot in your browser and within 3 minutes you'll have it down.

Good luck out there and welcome to the board!