Beer Cheese and Ale 8----KY items only, what else is there?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Cheryl, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Last week when I was visiting KY, I was told by local residents that the 2 above items were native to KY only. WOW, I had to try them and loved both of them!

The beer cheese is a spreadable, spicey cheese, that has a unique taste all its' own. A young man at a local restaurant gave me a pound to bring home and it should last me until I get back to KY in the next couple of weeks.

The Ale 8 is a soft drink, that reminds me of Dr. Enuf, but has a slightly different taste. A lady told me it has the same or more caffeine and less sugar than any soft drink available. It sure is good and does pep me up. So I will be purchasing a case when I return to KY, too. Also the bottles are returnable. 20 to 30 cents a bottle, making a 6 pack, a little over 2 dollars when you return the bottles, which I will do on my next venture to KY.

What else is only available in the fine state of KY?

Take care.
    Cheryl

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i know the ale8, ( which is supposably translate into " A Late One" , so i heard) is very similiar to vernors, which is found in Michigan and Ohio. I found it down here in georgia at the local supermarket and was really surprised......i told the lady at the check out they finally got some real pop.....she didn't know what the heck i was talking about ......

3. Tala

Tala Guest

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Holly,

I've heard them called 'sodie dopes' and dopes, probably due to the fact that in the western time, cocaine was in them. Probably where the term 'Coke' for Coca-cola, comes from.

Take care.
    Cheryl

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ale 8 is some good stuff!!!!
    Next time you're in the Bluegrass state,you'll have to meet up with me and Regina and get a bite to eat!

6. RegulatorX

RegulatorX New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My personal favorite is SKI which is a citrus type drink. I have only ever found it in Kentucky and more often than not in the more southwestern regions of the state. To me it is like liquid cocaine, I love the stuff but don't get it very often. Now I am going to have to take a road trip. Thanks a lot, lol...

Derrick Berrier

7. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    We in southern Ohio call it Pop or Soda, mostly Pop.

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC! Enjoy the site.

I remember the SKI's, from when I was a small child. My older brothers worked at a 'filling' station, (gas station, today) just down from our home. I went there almost everyday either with them or to visit them. My personal favorite was a Grapette ! Remember those? I can find those every now and then in NC, but not too often in TN, unless it is near the NC, border.

Heck, now I think I have to take a trip to Erwin or Asheville, soon.
    Thanks to you, too!

Take care.
    Cheryl

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ahhh... Ale 8 one! Nothing like Vernors!
    One of those things that you either love it or hate it right off the bat. I love it! Only drink it cold in the returnable bottles, that's when it is at it's best!

10. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I live about a block where they make it here in winchester ky. Danzig returnable bottles so cold with a little frozen pieces in it man thats the best... They also make an ale8 salsa. never tried it yet.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I lived in Richmond many years back, (1986-88) ran around with a bunch of Outlaw Bikers out of Richmond.

Loved the neighborhood (Lex, Berea, Winchester, Irvine) Great people, great bars,(Richmond, Lex) decent fishing. (Ky river) The "exotic dancing" bars in Lex are hard to beat! Used to love a place in Lex on the west side called the Camelot West, Kind of a neighborhood bar with naked dancing women. The hot biker bar at the time (Lex)was called Al and Sam's.

Don't know how it is now, but back then Richmond was the farthest place south you could buy booze. Thursday nights you could sit on your porch and watch the bootlegger's pickup trucks leave town with covered loads and their bumpers dragging! Fooled no one, but the money spent made the cops blind.
    That little town had 36 places to buy booze NOT counting the convenience stores, bars and restaurants.

Cheryl, I used to hang out with some folks who lived walking distance from Hall's.
    And out there somewhere is a KY state trooper who still wonders how the guy in the old Datsun 510 used to lose him (5 times) at Clay's Ferry! LOL!!

BTW Slip, When you are fishing the Ky river, after high water, look close at the gravel banks, we used to find bunches of arrow heads and such.

PS, I pulled an Ale 8 out of the stash and am drinking it right now....:wink: