Been there done that, Not.

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by postbeetle, Feb 4, 2009.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mornin' from Animal Land.

Animals, ya eat 'em on good rye bread, grill 'em for company, put 'em in the back of the pickup when ya go to Wal-Mart so nobody steals your poles, use 'em to keep the mice out your house because you feed the birds and all that bird food attracts rodents, talk to 'em like they were your shrink when you've had a fight with your spouse or you can just generally relate to them because they are better than most humans you know.

Over the years my wife and I have had our share of pets. Not just Fidos and Fluffies. We have had the ability to have some wonderful "friends". Some we ate, some we took care of like they were our kids, some worked for us, some we sold to make a buck, some we gave to others so they could enjoy their company, some we had for a short period of time because I cared for them and got them well and released them back to the environment so somebody could shoot them during hunting season. Most had a story they told and I will tell you.

What I would like to do in this thread is have ya show me some of your buddies. Not just the dogs and cats, they, however, are more than welcome. Most people have some esperience with critters. Share some with us and not just their pictures. This is not a contest, except for the fact that I will mentally keep track of who I consider to be the ugliest pet, and I won't consider the members of the BOC.

I will as time progresses show you some pics of horses, goats, sheep, cockatiels, pigs, cats, rabbits, crows, trumpeter swans, turkeys, guineas, chickens, banties, snakes and more and some short stories associated with them.

Lets see some you have and have some fun with those that you have had included in your life. Rollo has some interesting pics of his dog I am sure he will get past the censors.

Don't put in too many pictures of your kids, or wives, or husbands; remember in the back of your mind I am gonna post a list of what I consider to be the ugliest submission. Good looking neighbor women holding your pet snake are acceptible.

Later, John.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I will start this show with PIG she is 16 years old now. She sleeps with the bulls and has the run of the farm.She was a lap pig when she was a baby now she is a yard pig. I will post some working pets later.

Attached Files:

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dale, you are the winner #1. I luv it. Now that hog has character and looks like she could have many purposes as a pet. I actually have a story on pot bellied pigs. They were a hot item about the time I quit Vet Med.

Here locally a couple won the Powerball Lottery, $26 million dollars. Now they were a normal lottery winner, proceeded to spend it like water. They now, after 12 years, are broke and divorced. They proceeded to put up a 300,000 dollar house on 20 acres they bought. They got one of these pigs and let it have the run of the house. Literally turned that house into a pig sty. When they had the Sheriff's sale on that house this summer they couldn't get a bid on it because it was so trashed. LOL

Dafin, the pig will not go in the category of the ugliest. I really like that pig.

Thanks, John.

4. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    PB, I'd love to help ya out on this thread but unfortunately they won't let one poor old dumb animal care for other's that have keener sense of smell and navigational skills round my house.
    I do have a pet rock though:eek:oooh:
    aint killed it yet:wink:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mr Roach, kind sir that I am sure you are (when in the right state of chemical dependence), pet rocks are totally acceptable in this thread of unusual pets.

There is something solid and weighty about a rock, pet or wild. The wild ones are hard to feed, but after tamed do quite nicely on about anything. If you would when you have the time, and you seem to have a lot of that, I would, as I am sure many members of this forum who read this thread (about 5) would like to see that rock. It however must be leashed while in the waiting room.

Thanks, John.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Greg aint got no pet rock! It ran away.

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Well I have no pictures but I will chime in on this one.

Being the "River Rat" that I am when I was a teenager I spent more time on the river than I did in school or at home.One particular time I was skipping school and found a litter of possums that had been washed of their mom in a flood,or thats my guess.

There was only 1 left alive and I picked him up and put him in my jean jacket pocket.He was only as big as your finger but I bought some cat milk stuff from the pet store and raise that possum for the next 2 months on a bottle.

We had alot of good times.I took him to school,parties,to the mall and almost always in my jacket pocket.He started getting a little big for the pocket so I made him a little mobile home from a shoe box and a back pack.It was late May and it got a little colder 1 night than expected and he froze to death poor guy.

Just so everyone knows when a possum is raised like that it has the prettiest silky silverish hair you ever seen.He was the pimp of all pet animals for sure :smile2:

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    As I mentioned, I will show you some pictures in between some of yours with a little story attached. If you know me you know I can't just show ya a picture without yapping too.

This will be about Alice.

Alice not from Wonderland, or the kleptomaniac crow.

In the late spring of '87 I was walking our timber after a heavy windstorm. I came across a large nest that had been knocked to the ground. A crows nest, with two baby crows who were just about to fledge. Cool, thought I and scooped them up and took them back to the farm. There I introduced them to all concerned and proceeded to build them a cage. Overnight, the first night, one of them disappeared, it became cat sustenance.

The other survived and continued in the family. A picture of me feeding it with a syringe has been included. A cool beast this bird was. I had been up close and personal with them because I used to shoot crows over a horned owl decoy. The only ones I had handled were the ones that died after the buckshot caught up with them. This was a new experience and one that taught me some things.

These birds are amazing. Smart, quick and cunning. She did well, growing like a weed. Soon able to fly on her own, we just left her go about her business. She stuck around and became a big pain in the A$$. Harassing the dogs, and acquaintances that visited. Always into mischief and trouble. I liked her.

She was a kleptomaniac, would steal anything she could carry in her beak and could fly with. Bright shiny things. If I were to fix an implement and had the socket set out she would invariably sneak into the set and haul sockets off and plant them in the gutters of the house or hide them in crotches of trees or the attic of the barn. If someone visited and let the windows open on their car or truck she would be inside in a minute hauling off anything that interested her. Coins, key chains, keys from the ignition. She would land on your shoulder and take your ear rings off if a woman, steal your cigarette if smoking one. For two years after she left I would find things stuffed here and there from Alice. Still am missing a 1/4 inch socket.

As the season progressed into fall she would be gone longer during the day. Finally, she just never came back the ungrateful wench. She hooked up with her buddies and we never saw her again.

I also have never shot another crow since.

John.

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i am 53 years old. had dogs since i was a wee lad. lived on a small farm/truck patch. had horses, goats, cows, chickens, ducks, and other critters. i have lots of stories that no one wants to hear.

have 6 dogs now, and lots of squirrels in the yard. wife wants me to kill the squirrels, but i like 'em. i ain't gonna kill 'em 'less i get hungry. i don't like cats. they kill for no reason. i can handle killing to satisfy hunger, but not just to kill. cats kill just to kill.

i have a pasture against my house with some big a$$ bulls. those dudes make some noise when they argue about territory. fun stuff. i am a half mile from a small river. love to sit on the deck and hear the coyotes run down there.

i will tell you a coyote story soon about my favorite german shepherd and coyotes. thanks for this thread, John. sends me back to good and simple times.

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Back in the 70's I purchased a vacant lot next to my residence. The front part of the lot was full of scrub pines. During the recession of 1974 I did not have a lot of work on my plate. So I decided to prune the lower limbs on the scrub pines to make the vacant lot look a tad better. I did the pruning with some metal pruners I got from Sears. My wedding band kept digging into my finger when I had to put a lot of pressure on the pruner handle. So, I took the ring off and placed it on a small stub of a limb that I had already pruned. Went about my business pruning and just before dark my wife called me in for supper. Quit pruning and went inside, washed my hands and while I was eating, my wife noticed that I did not have my wedding band on and wanted to know where it was. I told her that it was on the stub of a limb that I had pruned and I would go out the next morning in the light and get it. Wrong, never did find the ring hanging on the stub of the limb. We had crows in the area all the time and I'm sure one saw it and took it away.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Heres a few of the banty's we had last summer:cool2:

Attached Files:

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Richard for your pics. Had to kill a rooster of ours a coupla days ago. We have had very cold weather, the combs have gotten frozen. This one started to bleed and the other chickens went at it. Richard you know what happens then, I am sure you have seen it. Made that roosters head a mess. eyeballs gone, the whole shot. I offed his head to put him out his misery.

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes bacon.

This is a story about hogs. We live in Iowa and of course there will be stories about hogs. We have had our share over the years. This is the first one we had. Her name was Bertha. Wasn't as good looking as Dafins pig, but was a little bigger. Close to 300 lbs when she went home.

Nancy got a wild hair to have hogs a few years after we moved back to Iowa. I had a wild hair not to have hogs but Nancy's wild hair was wilder than mine and she won. This second litter sow came from an acquaintance on loan. She was bred and would farrow shortly. The only problem was that she wasn't rung. Some of you folks in the south know what unrung hogs can do to the environment. Ugly mess that and very destructive. The first thing was to ring her and that became a circus. Nancy's first introduction into why you shouldn't have hogs. The second thing was to put together a lot fence that would contain her and her piglets. The third thing was to teach the dogs to stay away from her when she farrowed so she wouldn't kill them. She was a mean witch. Humans got along well with her but dogs she had a disliking for.

She farrowed well, had 13 piglets and I didn't have to pull one of them. She was an excellent mother and weaned all thirteen. The Great Dane we had killed two of them, but that is another story for later. The owner picked he up after she weaned the pigs (Nancy cried when she went). We kept two, a gilt for breeding and one to butcher. The butcher hog was called Chops, another story for later.

I have included some pics. One of Bertha (ain't she pretty?)
    One of her litter of 13
    One of Chops amongst some other critters.

13. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    She is a good looking pig. I raised hogs all through high school. I never got up in time to change after feeding and watering in the mornings, that was not the best smell in class. Leptoe hit the county in 1959 and that was the last of my pig farm.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll be posting a few better pics of the bunnies as the weather heads to spring,But here are the ones I have so far. My daughter started raising show rabbits last summer after the fair. We hope to carry on this line of bunnies as they are top quality.The former owner has a wallfull of trophy's and ribbons from them.
    oops Guess I have already got some elsewhere ,So here is the 4 time Grand Champ Mini Lop doe.

Attached Files:

15. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I posted this a while back on the other thread.

Now I see were gonna talk about pets over here so I just transposed my post here.:wink:

[​IMG] Just talk about your pets.
    The BOC's Animal House A place to ask any questions about animals and their health. Or just talk about your pets.

My Pets by Pythonjohn:

I have several pets...

I have fish in a tank, they are good fish and require only feeding.

The tanks stays clean because my wife can't stand it dirty therefore I don't have to clean the tank.

Good fish !

I also feed the animals in my yard which are use to me and I guess that makes them pets also.
    I have a variety of birds, pigeons, mocking birds, Red birds, Woodpeckers, sparrows, humming birds,( when they are here) Blue jays, squirrels, and some little things with long bald tails, rats,....:eek:oooh:
    Now there are some birds here and there is several kinds called hawks, big ones and little ones and the seem to feed at the same time as the other animals do and seem to enjoy the feeding time too.:eek:oooh::crazy::confused2:

These animals aren't any bother , I just feed them some corn and bread and they eat it all up.

Now since they are all outside it makes for no problems at all.

these are good animals too!

I also have two dogs too their names are Sassy and Jen.

Sassy is a Maltese and Jen is a Border Collie.

Now most of the time they are a pain in my a$$ cause they always want to get food in their plates or chase the squirrels or play ball or go for a ride in the car
    I guess overall they are:

Good dogs!

Ok I'm through just talking about my pets.

Now its your turn!!!

Good opj !

BTW have you ever seen one of these ?

Maybe Oh no the cow man has.

I hear they are mostly in Chicago !

Something called a "Jerry Cow" ???
    Attached Thumbnails[​IMG]

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jerry,,, Jerry,,,Jerry

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    At one time I did work for our local DNR. Wildlife rescue and rehabilitation on a freebie basis. I have a number of stories from that era. Some interesting, some not, some good, some not.

This is a story of one of the types of critters I enjoyed. This is about swans. Trumpeter swans to be exact.

In the late 80's and early 90's the state of Iowa embarked on a program to reintroduce trumpeter swans and re-establish breeding pairs. A program I often thought not highly of because in the states just west of us hunting trumpeter swans is legal. So much for Gov't brains. If swans had a problem they would pass through me and get shipped elsewhere if I could not help. Pictured is one of the swans that passed through Nancy's and my place. You can see they are a large and beautiful bird. One picture is of a swan and some of our domestic geese. Two pictures are of me, holding a swan and holding a swan. The red thing on the neck is a numbered tag. The birds ID. It could be picked up with binoculars and the swan identified.

Now ya know if I show ya something I will yap too. Let me tell you of two stories involving swans in this area.

As we go into town from where we live we pass through a swamp. Nice swamp, DNR owned, used as a nature center and wildlife habitat. Doesn't have alligators in it but it has some big snapping turtles, same difference. Now the DNR got a hair brained idea to put a pair of swans here. Nice pretty creatures, loved by the locals and passersby. The swans loved the swamp and could be seen easily cavorting about. Of course the wings had been pinioned, and the swans could only walk or swim. Fine and dandy.

One little itsy-bitsy problem. The swamp was divided by a four lane Highway. If the swans got a wild hair to go to the other part of the swamp across the road they of course had to walk. Now there was no salaried official with a stop sign directing traffic when these guys wanted to visit the other part of the swamp.

You can envision what happened can't ya. One morning going into town to work I noticed a bunch of crows on the side of the road ahead. Getting closer all I could see in the road was swan grease, feathers and skid marks. Some 18 wheeler had mashed those swans all over the place. The crows were having breakfast. There went two swans and 8,000 dollars of taxpayers money down the drain.

Sometime shortly I will tell you two more stories about swans here in this neck of the woods after they were "re-introduced".

Later, John.

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, i've a sip and am in the mood to tell about this german shepherd i had as a kid...there was 6 of us kids, so he wasn't JUST my dog...but he and i had the best relationship of the rest.

his name was kelly. he was the most gentle, meanest SOB you ever saw. if you was on his side, life was good. if you was against him, you brought a knife to a gun fight.

i lived about a third mile from the river then (i was maybe 8 years old)...that was about a mile from where i live now, as fortune has it. like now, tho not as much, the coyotes run that river. i would be sitting on the back steps overlooking the pasture between us and the river in the evening, and a couple of times a week those coyotes would start their yapping. ole kelly would sit there by me and when they started, his ears would stand up. sometimes he would listen a minute, and sometimes he would get up.

when he got up he would start across the pasture at a fast trot. 10 minutes after he left those coyotes would shut up. he might be gone 30 minutes, or a couple of days. i heard what sounded like a hundred of them dudes one night. kelly left like a scalded rabbit. 10 minutes later the coyotes shut up. kelly came home three days later. he was knicked up and cut up all over.

that big ole dumb sonofabitch would just go down and get right in the middle of any pack. he had no fear and i am confident they regretted sounding the call that brought them to his attention.

we had a dairy farmer lived up the dirt road from us a 1/4 mile. a couple times a month a big semi rig would come and collect milk from them. when kelly got old, he lost a step or two as we all do (can you relate to me John? :) )...one day that milk truck came by when kelly was crossing the road. he waited 'til the cab came by and then started across again. he got plumb under the truck before he realized it was still going by. you shoulda that old dude gittin it...he got back out from under before the trailer got him.

too bad people ain't like dogs..i'd like a whole passel more of 'em if they were.

i think i've told this story on the BOC before, but i couldn't find it. if you remember me doing so, thank you for allowing an old codger to ramble on again.

19. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Red hair and Iowa. I married a redhead in Iowa many moons ago. There is a resembalance especially the rear end. That is gonna get me in trouble because now everytime my wife stands up I will think "Bertha" and smile. Not a good thing. Well, actually looking forward to it.

As soon as I have a lucid moment I will get my critter stories going.

Till then - On my "honor" as a catfisherman - this ain't my dog.

20. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good deal, we got the SE Missoura guy contributing. Russell has a way with words and I enjoy what he says.

Told ya a little about Trumpeter Swans I used to take care of. Have a bunch of stories about them and I will give you one now and a coupla later (get to stretch my posts that way).

After few years of "re-introduction" the increase in the swan population was going good. Pairings, eggs being laid, cygnets fledging and they were beginning to be seen in increasing numbers.

South and East of me about 30 miles is a hunting area. Very popular place to kill ducks and geese. Excellent habitat and good flyway stop over near the Mississippi. Used by a lot of hunters. Amazing they don't shoot each other out of the shear numbers that use it. This is a story about a young hunter who almost got shot and hung. And I mean that in all seriousness. This kid came so close to meeting his maker it wasn't even funny.

This 17 year old kid had goose fever. He was in a blind on this flight way acting like a normal goose hunter. Half froze and just a little drunk. He spots some incoming Canadians and amongst that grouping was a Trumpeter Swan. If you have never seen one of these birds in flight you will know one when you see it. Gorgeous, huge wingspans, and vocalizing like a guy who has his throat caught in a vise. Well, sure enough the kid gets off his duff draws down and instead of taking a Canadian he pokes this Swan. "Blam", down comes that Swan like a B-29 in flames over Germany. Kersplash, the kid wades out and grabs its neck and drags it ashore.

Now the trouble starts. Two other blinds see this, guys piling out and heading for the kid screaming their lungs out and cursing this kid. The kid ain't no dummy and he high tails it to the parking lot. Only to run into another bunch of gun toters with their blood up also. They corner him at gunpoint and there are murmurs of "stringing him up". The kid is peeing his pants.

About that time every kind of Dick with any kind of uniform you can imagine begins to show up. DNR, State Cops, County Mounties. They rescue the kid and haul him away. When Eagles became protected they used the first guy they caught shooting one as a lesson. This kid was the first one caught nailing a Trumpeter. And he paid through the wazoo. Hefty fine, community service, gun confiscated, hunting privileges until Christ comes back suspended.

The moral of the story is if you are going to shoot one let there not be any witnesses.

Will tell ya some other stories about swans later.

John.