Been reading about monster catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by kycat, Mar 13, 2006.

1. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am a new member to this site, and I have been lurking around reading about the monsters that everyone has been catching and looking at the pictures. What I am about to talk about is more than likely on this board somewhere, but it has always been something that interested me since witnessing something about 10 years ago.

Location is Cumberland Falls State park where the large waterfall enters into a large hole of water. Years ago a small girl fell into the waters below the falls. State rescue divers where sent in to search for the girl, and what they got was a rude awaking. The divers refused to enter the waters at the falls again because of huge catfish underneath the falls. One diver was quoted as saying that after entering the water he saw a large object coming directly towards him and as it got right up to him it veered off to the right. The divers swear there are fish in those waters as big as small cars. The little girl was never found by the way.

Now something that I witnessed several years ago. My parents and I went over to the park one evening to view the falls which is about 25 miles from my home. There was a gentleman fishing on the large rocks below falls that outlines the banks. He had 4 nice cats on a stringer just to the left of him. As I was looking at the falls I heard a commotion where he was fishing, and I thought he had fell into the water. What had happen was that something had came up and litterly destroyed the stringer of fish he had and had taken all 4 fish back with it. The guy was going crazy and using a few choice words to what had just happen. I asked him what happen and he told me that something had taken his 4 good size fish, stringer and all.

I know that other Kentucky fisherman have heard these stories about the monsters that live below the falls, and I know people that have hooked fish in this large hole of water at the falls and never have them break water before breaking a line or pole. There are truely some massive cats there, but I just wonder if they are as big as the divers said. People have said that the fish can grow that big and live that long because of all the pressure under the falls from the water flowing over the drop off, and all the food sources that is washed down the river and end up in this hole of water. I have seen some 50+ pounders come out of these waters, but I just wonder what is actually down there ready to be hooked and tangoed with.

Below is a picture of the falls, and the large hole of water I am talking about. The guy that got his fish snatched was fishing on the rocks located to the left of the picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/GASRAT/CumberlandFalls.jpg

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Well kycat, welcome to the greatest site on the net. i live in southern ohio but still too far of drive for me. i have heard many stories as like this on about places here in my area on Brush Creek under this huge ledge more than 200 ft back under the creek... divers in divers never out... :crying: from what i see in that pic there appears to be some darker spots in that hole, maybe rocks, logs, catfish, or just REALLY deep spots? Fish it to find out be ready for a rid if u hook one.!!! (@ < @)

3. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah I plan on doing some fishing on the rocks this year as time permits. Do a lot of drum fishing in cumberland lake. But there are some massive flats in the river system of cumberland. Have witnessed them first hand. I don't know if the water goes back under the rocks directly under the falls or not. Years ago you where allowed to walk behind the falls, but they won't let people do that now for safety reasons.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I believe there are 150# Blues and Flats to be had but don't think they got that stringer. Possibly a big Snapper with the fish putting up a fuss at the same time.

5. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    So you figure there are some 150lb fish in that location to be brought out. Are you familiar with the area Baitkiller? I only live like I said 25 miles from the area, but have yet to ever fish off the rocks at the falls. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to hang a 150 fish out of that area. And you are prob. right there are some good size turtles around those rocks as well.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    lol.. my cousin was just at lake cumberland not to long ago with his dad and that side of the family canoeing and stuff... it looks like a good area to fish, live bait... if current isnt too bad try a float with a chub or shad about 8-10 in long leave it set till something hits it.. if u hook up its a nice un

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I also think there are blues and flats 150 to 180lb. it's just a matter of time.

8. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Catmanofohio there are some huge striped bass in Cumberland Lake as well. Some well over 50+ lbs.

Also I agree RIP. I would like to be the man to hook one of those monsters. The 121lbs world record that was caught a while back in Texas is still living good and well. I read an article about the catch on the net, and it stated that the fish made it to the new home they put it in. The fish should be back in the lake it came from, but the fish and wildlife department of TX has it on display. The reason I got to looking is because I read on here somewhere that a member stated it died during transport, but according to the article it did not.

9. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kycat, that picture you showed is a wonderful spot... dont know if any fish live there... or how big they are... but to fish somewhere that pretty is all a man can ask for. Dont make no diff if they bite or not.

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Hard to find that many places like that that people havent torn up or littered to death.... i hate those people who loose the rights for other fishermen who clean up after themselves!!!!!!!! :mad:

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That area in the picture holding 150# fish, man I dont know. I think a fish like that would need more room, but thats just me, maybe there is one there.

Yes we all have heard those stories of "Cats as big as Volkswaggons". I think we've even got a couple threads about them, but I have my doubts about the validiy of them. I'll try & search for the BOC threads.

12. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    If It Wasn't A Huge Catfish, It Could Have Been A Big Gar That Got The Stringer Of Fish. If You Have Been Checking This Site Out For A While Then You Have Probably Seen Pictures Of Some Really Big Gar. They Maybe Rare In Some Parts Of The Country, But The Picture Looks Like It May Hold Some Very Large Fish Of All Kinds. I Sure Wouldn't Count Them Out.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It took me forever but I did some searching on the net. The lightest car I found weighed 1400 pounds & that was a car kit. I could not find the weight of a VM Beetle or Mini Cooper, but if the smallest car weighs 1400 pounds, I have to say no way in heck do we have native cats swimming in our waters that size.

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    kycat

Nope never been or heard of it. Looks like a real nice spot to fish man.

15. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing the story.

16. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Oh yea, Welcome to the best catfishing site on the net!

17. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    There have been a number of posts about the diver myth... I posted one w/ a picture of splash (the bluecat texas and world 20lb line class record holder, and former world record holder) next to a diver in the water... Some didn't believe its real, some do, like me. It looks as big as the diver. and we all know there are larger fish out there then the current world record of 124 lbs...

When your scuba diving in the water creatures are magnified my 25% or so. plus your perception and your view point is distorted... making Huge fish look bigger. and with the poor visibility found in many lakes and below dams its really hard to judge sizes of fish. plus most of the divers don't usually fish and have no concept of weights and sizes of fish. It could go either way but my goal is to prove the myth right and pull up a catfish the size of a car. (which technically i already have, and alot of the members have, if you include matchbox and Model cars ;-) )

As for the creature who took the fish off the stringer, you said that the fish were nice sized but how big were they? some people would consider 2 lbers nice while others thing 15#'s are... if they were nice eating sized fish (1-4 lbs) it could have been any number of things such as a large gar, or snapping turtle possibly a larger catfish or musky would come up and try and grab hold. never really know. you said the stringer was taken too, was it one of the large swivel stringers of was it the "needle and ring" type ones... also how was it attached to the ground? If im using a stringer (rare and 95% of the time if im planning on eating the fish) i use the needle and ring type and as long as there's enough ground to stick the needle part into that stringer isn't going anywhere... trust me i've tried my self pulling it out and it takes more strength then most fish have at the angle the fish would be pulling from to pull it out of fairly compact ground (not sand or very loose ground)... the area in the pic doesn't look like very good ground though and the stringer probably wasn't as secure as it could have been.

18. Chuck

Chuck New Member

State:
    Texas
    Has anybody had any luck fishing in the state of Texas in the San Antonio Area?

19. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Beautiful area! Makes me think of home, which is just across the state line from you-(WV). Stories like the one you've heard is what hooked me into chasing flatheads the past 20 years...